What is a Good 400Mhz P4 board ??? Help

stingray

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2002
Hi,

I am putting a pc together but I am looking for a good board for intel P4 2.6Ghz (i845PE chipset)that supports 400Mhz DDr SDRAM.

I would be using the system for gaming, running under Windows Xp and with Radeon 9700

Please help

I

Civilized

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2001
that doesnt mean that it wont run ddr400 speeds...

I have an Albatron pevpro mobo (845PE) chipset and it will run ddr426 speeds at cas2!!!!....so dont believe all you hear....

The best 845pe motherboards in the way of overclocking are by far the Albatron proIIs(raid version) or the pevpro(nonraid version) and the Abit IT7 max2 rev2...I personally have a system with each motherboard .....

on the abit I reached 3.3ghz with a 2.5ghz p4 (130fsb) and on the albatron I reached 3.06ghz with a 2.4ghz P4 (170fsb!!)....The albatron overclocked better for me but it depends on what you want...newegg carries both boards

<A HREF="http://dnadesignz.kicks-ass.net" target="_new"><b><font color=green>MY SYSTEM</b></font color=green></A>

LumberJack

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2003
I would wait if you could till the summer. The new chipsets will be realeased and the price of the system you want now will drop considerably.

To err is human... to really screw things up you need a computer!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Do you already own that CPU? Not an ideal choice because of it's high multiplier!

Anyway, the i845PE doesn't support 400MHz memory speeds. The only way to get there is by overclocking.

You could get an SiS 648 chipset board, but the only brand that seems to be stable with the high speed memory is Gigabyte. I think you could also get a 655 chipset board and run it in single channel mode if needed.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

stingray

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2002
What do you mean with "Not an ideal choice because of it's high multiplier!"

What should be a better deal then a 2.53Ghz ???

Some people have certain preferences for overclocking. The 2.26 or 2.4b may overclock better, but it's luck of the draw, and dependent on the motherboard and memory. I would select your components based on price and features, and not expect a certain speed when attempting to overclock.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, a 2.53 would outperform a 2.6! Why? Because it has the "533" bus. It runs at 19x133, while the 1.6 runs at 26x100. So the bus has 1/3 more bandwidth on the 2.53.

The thing about the multiplier has to do with overclocking. People will buy a "400 bus" processor hoping to overclock to the "533 bus" and get free speed. That works with the 1.8 Northwood, making it perform like a stock 2.4/533. But 26x133 is 3466MHz, nearly impossible for any current P4. So not only do you get the low bus speed with the 2.6, but you also loose the ability to get that bus speed back by overclocking.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>