KSI's LITE nforce2, use onboard sound?

hineigger

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2003
Nforce2 boards have great onboard sound as Ive heard. However I ordered the msi L series, which is a light version of the G series. It does not have integrated graphics which I wont need since IM on a ti4600, but it may not have as good of sound as Ive heard? The 2nd chip is mcp2. Does that help?

Im not sure to use onboard sound or the cheap $8 c-media pci soundcard. And will onboard sound slow me up?

Thanks.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Other guys know about the chipset better than me, but I think the MCP2 southbridge has the nForce APU? Anyway, I'd try it. Even if you only have a cheap codec without sound processing, it probably won't slow you down very much.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
OK, forgot the -T, thanks. Recommend to him to try the onboard audio, if he doesn't like it he can use the card.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

umheint0

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2003
Actually Spitfire, all the nForce2 chipsets have an audio codec. The difference is in which one. The MCP has simple 2.1 output, no HW Dolby, nothing really fancy. It's a good codec (AC97 2.1), but it doesn't have any bells or whistles. It's strictly an integrated audio solution, but it's still a decent one. The MCP-T has the nVIDIA codec, called "Soundstorm". It has 5.1 Dolby output, HW Dolby decoder, and all that fancy shiznat. For simple 2-channel sound it is effectively the same, but if you have more than two channels, then the MCP-T will take advantage of them.

Just for clarification, for everyone. However, I have not yet listened to my Soundstorm motherboard, so I don't know how good it really is (I haven't installed it yet, and I'll be using a high-end soundcard from RME or M-Audio, so I won't really need the MCP-T except for the occasional movie maybe). Let's hear some comments from people out there who have actually heard and compared the sound to other PCI cards.