USB storage device not properly recognised by Win XP

December 29, 2004 1:33:06 PM

I've used USB card readers/external hard drives in Window XP and they could
be detected and worked properly without the need of driver installation.
However, recently, amongst these storage devices, one card reader when
plugged to the USB port seemed to be detected (it appear as "USB Mass Storage
Device" on the Device Manager list) but the icons representing the card
reader were not shown in the File Explorer. Without the icons, the memory
card data in the card reader could not be accessed or modified. This also
happens with a new USB storage device but other USB devices can still be
detected normally. It is confirmed that my card reader and the new USB
storage device can work with other XP systems without driver installation.

Much appreciated if any one could advise how to make the XP system recognise
the card reader again. Thanks a lot.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
December 30, 2004 12:31:09 AM

Simon, go back to Device Manager>select USB Controllers. Rt click on
each one and choose Uninstall. Disconnect all
USB devices beforehand. Restart and let XP reinstall them. Reconnect
the USB devices.
news:D 5DF44E0-407F-456F-97C7-3F0604F6E0E1@microsoft.com...

!