Windows XP registration

I bought a new computer for Christmas. The new computer came with Windows XP
on it. I gave my "old" computer to my daughter who lives with me, but is in
college. Before I gave it to her, I fomated the harddrive and installed
Windows XP on it. Now the computer (old one) says I have 30 days to register
it or it will be disabled. Can I register two computers with the "one" XP
installation disk?
4 answers Last reply
More about windows registration

    Each installation of Windows XP, installed on a different
    computer, requires it's own unique license (Product Key).
    You cannot use the same license on two different computers.

    You committed a cardinal sin by installing Windows XP
    from your new computer. What you need to do is to go
    out and purchase a "Full Retail Version" of Windows XP and
    perform a "Repair Install" on your daughter's computer
    using the new CD and Product Key. Then you'll be able
    to "activate" the installation.

    [Courtesy of MS-MVP Michael Stevens]

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "Mrbill" wrote:

    | I bought a new computer for Christmas. The new computer came with Windows XP
    | on it. I gave my "old" computer to my daughter who lives with me, but is in
    | college. Before I gave it to her, I fomated the harddrive and installed
    | Windows XP on it. Now the computer (old one) says I have 30 days to register
    | it or it will be disabled. Can I register two computers with the "one" XP
    | installation disk?

    Hi MrBill,
    Did the older pc have XP on it? If not, did you use the XP CD that came with
    the new PC?
    Registration is a different process than activation. Registration isn't
    necessary, but it's the activation that will time you out.

    Win XP is sold per machine license, but you may qualify for discounted
    second license here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/addlic.mspx

    The entire EULA is here: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/eula.mspx

    I would also suggest your daughter checking with her school's bookstore or
    IT HelpDesk, and seeing if there may be a discount available to her for
    Educational pricing on the product.

    Ron Chamberlin
    MS-MVP

    Mrbill wrote:
    > I bought a new computer for Christmas. The new computer came with Windows XP
    > on it. I gave my "old" computer to my daughter who lives with me, but is in
    > college. Before I gave it to her, I fomated the harddrive and installed
    > Windows XP on it. Now the computer (old one) says I have 30 days to register
    > it or it will be disabled. Can I register two computers with the "one" XP
    > installation disk?

    No, you can't. You'll need to purchase a separate WinXP license
    for each computer on which you install it.

    First of all, your new computer has an OEM license for WinXP.
    An OEM version must be sold with a piece of hardware (normally a
    motherboard or hard rive, if not an entire PC) and is _permanently_
    bound to the first PC on which it's installed. An OEM license, once
    installed, is not legally transferable to another computer under _any_
    circumstances.

    Secondly, as it has *always* been with *all* Microsoft operating
    systems, it's necessary (to be in compliance with both the EULA and
    U.S. copyright law http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/117.html), if
    not technically) to purchase one WinXP license for each computer on
    which it is installed. (Consult an attorney versed in copyright law
    to determine final applicability in your locale.) The only way in
    which WinXP licensing differs from that of earlier versions of Windows
    is that Microsoft has finally added a copy protection and anti-theft
    mechanism, Product Activation, to prevent (or at least make more
    difficult) multiple installations using a single license.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Mrbill wrote:

    >I bought a new computer for Christmas. The new computer came with Windows XP
    >on it. I gave my "old" computer to my daughter who lives with me, but is in
    >college. Before I gave it to her, I fomated the harddrive and installed
    >Windows XP on it. Now the computer (old one) says I have 30 days to register
    >it or it will be disabled. Can I register two computers with the "one" XP
    >installation disk?

    No. Or rather not with the same 25 character Product Key. But if you
    formatted and reinstalled with the key and disks that came with that
    machine you just go ahead and reactivate it - get on the net, go to
    Start - All Programs - Accessories - System Tools - Activate Windows
    and use the Activate on the Internet

Computers Windows XP