Windows XP registration

mrbill

Distinguished
May 31, 2004

I bought a new computer for Christmas. The new computer came with Windows XP
on it. I gave my "old" computer to my daughter who lives with me, but is in
college. Before I gave it to her, I fomated the harddrive and installed
Windows XP on it. Now the computer (old one) says I have 30 days to register
it or it will be disabled. Can I register two computers with the "one" XP
installation disk?

Each installation of Windows XP, installed on a different
computer, requires it's own unique license (Product Key).
You cannot use the same license on two different computers.

You committed a cardinal sin by installing Windows XP
from your new computer. What you need to do is to go
out and purchase a "Full Retail Version" of Windows XP and
perform a "Repair Install" on your daughter's computer
using the new CD and Product Key. Then you'll be able
to "activate" the installation.

[Courtesy of MS-MVP Michael Stevens]

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"Mrbill" wrote:

| I bought a new computer for Christmas. The new computer came with Windows XP
| on it. I gave my "old" computer to my daughter who lives with me, but is in
| college. Before I gave it to her, I fomated the harddrive and installed
| Windows XP on it. Now the computer (old one) says I have 30 days to register
| it or it will be disabled. Can I register two computers with the "one" XP
| installation disk?

Hi MrBill,
Did the older pc have XP on it? If not, did you use the XP CD that came with
the new PC?
Registration is a different process than activation. Registration isn't
necessary, but it's the activation that will time you out.

Win XP is sold per machine license, but you may qualify for discounted
second license here:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/addlic.mspx

The entire EULA is here: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/eula.mspx

I would also suggest your daughter checking with her school's bookstore or
IT HelpDesk, and seeing if there may be a discount available to her for
Educational pricing on the product.

Ron Chamberlin
MS-MVP

Mrbill wrote:
> I bought a new computer for Christmas. The new computer came with Windows XP
> on it. I gave my "old" computer to my daughter who lives with me, but is in
> college. Before I gave it to her, I fomated the harddrive and installed
> Windows XP on it. Now the computer (old one) says I have 30 days to register
> it or it will be disabled. Can I register two computers with the "one" XP
> installation disk?

No, you can't. You'll need to purchase a separate WinXP license
for each computer on which you install it.

First of all, your new computer has an OEM license for WinXP.
An OEM version must be sold with a piece of hardware (normally a
motherboard or hard rive, if not an entire PC) and is _permanently_
bound to the first PC on which it's installed. An OEM license, once
installed, is not legally transferable to another computer under _any_
circumstances.

Secondly, as it has *always* been with *all* Microsoft operating
systems, it's necessary (to be in compliance with both the EULA and
U.S. copyright law http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/117.html), if
not technically) to purchase one WinXP license for each computer on
which it is installed. (Consult an attorney versed in copyright law
to determine final applicability in your locale.) The only way in
which WinXP licensing differs from that of earlier versions of Windows
is that Microsoft has finally added a copy protection and anti-theft
mechanism, Product Activation, to prevent (or at least make more
difficult) multiple installations using a single license.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

Mrbill wrote:

>I bought a new computer for Christmas. The new computer came with Windows XP
>on it. I gave my "old" computer to my daughter who lives with me, but is in
>college. Before I gave it to her, I fomated the harddrive and installed
>Windows XP on it. Now the computer (old one) says I have 30 days to register
>it or it will be disabled. Can I register two computers with the "one" XP
>installation disk?

No. Or rather not with the same 25 character Product Key. But if you
formatted and reinstalled with the key and disks that came with that
machine you just go ahead and reactivate it - get on the net, go to
Start - All Programs - Accessories - System Tools - Activate Windows
and use the Activate on the Internet