How to update Bios..?

Nights_L

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2003
Hi, I have a motherboard MSI KT3 Ultra2, I downloaded the updated Bios files, but what should I do?
I got a file called a6380vms.570, and a program called amifl827.exe, I read the information that contains with it, it said I should type : amifl827 bios file, is that mean I should type "amifl827 a6380vms.570" in DOS?
If anyone could help, thanks a lot~

elzt

Distinguished
May 10, 2002
Yup, just type "amifl827 a6380vms.570" in DOS. Make sure you boot your PC in real DOS mode and not the DOS prompt in Windows.

MSIs website has detailed instructions for flashing your M/B, read them and follow them to the letter, or you could end up with a M/B paperweight.

Details, Details, Its all in the Details, If you need help, Don't leave out the Details.

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
I have a Cyrix 686 standing on it's corner in a cube of clear epoxy... Looks really cool.

Does an absolutely flawless job of holding paper down, too!

<b>(</b>It ain't better if it don't work.<b>)</b>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It means the flash program itself, not the BIOS image, is incompatable with your BIOS chip. You need a different flash utility.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Oh, it could also mean that you have flash disabled in BIOS settings. Older boards sometimes had a jumper to lock it, but I haven't seen one of those in years.

Nights_L

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2003
I downloaded from MSI's web site..I will try to to find jumper..I don't think there is any setting in Bios to enable or disable
what's flash utility I should use then?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Are you certain there is no option in BIOS to disable BIOS update?

Well, I keep several versions of flash utility on hand just in case, Flash855 usually works when UniFlash doesn't. Between those two you're fairly well covered.

Nights_L

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2003
Hi
I finally updated my Bios to version 5.7, by using the software that comes with MSI, it actually creates a boot disk, and then update bios
Thanks for your help!

Twitch

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2003
You might be able to use a VIA motherboard for a paperweight, but you might have driver conficts.

<-----Insert witty sig line here.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Hehe, I woundered why a respectable company like MSI didn't include the correct flash utiliy, I'm glad you found it!