Can office 2003 be used with windows 7

sandeep5727

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2010
hello everyone
my laptop(window 7) came with preinstalled MSoffice 2007,now as i has been expired, i am trying to copy msoffice professional edition 2003 from CD, This pack has two CDs, service pack 2 and academics. when i install firt cd it give two options 1) run shelexec.exe and 2) open folder. wen i click on shelexec.exe, it opens up with internet explorer and ask about various updates.i tried all the options but not suceeded. please tell why there is no set up file as with normal office cd's.

Solution
Have you looked at the disk NOT labeled Service pack 2 for a "setup.exe"

What I do is stick the CD in, then open a dos prompt (Cmd) and Type "Dir X:\Setup*.* /s" Omit Quotes and substitute Your CD drive letter for X. It will tell you if there is any setup files on the CD.

It almost sounds like your trying to install Office 2003 from a CD that only contains the service pack updates. For most relatively new software, windows 7 will prompt you if it needs to be run in compatability mode. You can also change the compatabilty mode once a program has been installed by right clicking the program exe and select compatability mode. I have one program that I ended up using windows 98 compatability mode.

sandeep5727

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2010

hey bolbi thanks for replying, but there is no such file, only thing opens up is

""Office 2003 Service Pack 2 CD Installation

Office 2003 Service Pack 2

Office 2003 Service Pack 2 provides the latest updates to Microsoft® Office 2003. Office 2003 Service Pack 2 contains significant security enhancements, in addition to stability and performance improvements. Service Pack 2 (SP2) also includes many performance and feature enhancements to Microsoft Office InfoPath 2003.

For more information on this update, visit the Microsoft Download Center, Office 2003 Service Pack 2.

OneNote 2003 Service Pack 2

OneNote 2003 Service Pack 2 provides the latest updates to Microsoft® Office OneNote™ 2003. OneNote 2003 Service Pack 2 (SP2) contains new features and significant security enhancements, in addition to stability and performance improvements.

For more information on this update, visit the Microsoft Download Center, OneNote 2003 Service Pack 2.

Office 2003 Service Pack 2 for Proofing Tools

Office 2003 Service Pack 2 for Proofing Tools provides the latest updates to Microsoft® Office 2003 Proofing Tools. Office 2003 Service Pack 2 (SP2) for Proofing Tools ensures that Office 2003 performs with complete functionality when you use Office 2003 Proofing Tools.

For more information on this update, visit the Microsoft Download Center, Office 2003 Service Pack 2 for Proofing Tools.

Office 2003 Service Pack 2: French Spelling Checker and Thesaurus Settings Add-in

With this add-in, you can change the French spelling settings to take full advantage of the latest Microsoft Office 2003 French Spelling Checker and Thesaurus public update shipped in this Service Pack. The speller and thesaurus are now compliant with the French Spelling reform and running this add-in provides a dialog box which the user can select between traditional spelling, new spelling or both spelling reform options.

For more information on this update, visit the Microsoft Download Center, Update for Office 2003 French Spelling Checker and Thesaurus (KB892258).

Client Update

You should install this file if you have access to your original product CD-ROM. You might need to provide the installation source during patch installation if you have previously updated your product.

It is recommended that you quit any programs you are running.
Go to the Client Update folder and run:

Office2003SP2-kb887616-client-enu.exe for Office 2003 Service Pack 2.
PTK2003SP2-kb887618-client-enu.exe for Office 2003 Service Pack 2 for Proofing Tools.

Note: OneNote 2003 Service Pack 2 and Office 2003 French Spelling Checker and Thesaurus Add-in are only offered as Full-file updates (see below).

This will install the client update on your computer.""

can u tell me something about this
or there might be compatibility problem with windows 7.
please help me

sandeep5727

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2010

thanks fo replying
can u please explain me in detail, how to change compatibilty? and if it effects other functionality and performance of other programs.
please do reply, i would be thankful to you

Have you looked at the disk NOT labeled Service pack 2 for a "setup.exe"

What I do is stick the CD in, then open a dos prompt (Cmd) and Type "Dir X:\Setup*.* /s" Omit Quotes and substitute Your CD drive letter for X. It will tell you if there is any setup files on the CD.

It almost sounds like your trying to install Office 2003 from a CD that only contains the service pack updates. For most relatively new software, windows 7 will prompt you if it needs to be run in compatability mode. You can also change the compatabilty mode once a program has been installed by right clicking the program exe and select compatability mode. I have one program that I ended up using windows 98 compatability mode.

Solution

sandeep5727

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2010

thanks for replying, i did the way so said. it say no such file found. i was surfing the net and i read a lot about licensing. is it possible that this cd can't be used again? it' s been used earlier on XP. thnakx

You could just use open office.

Anyway, if you really really need office instead of Open Office for whatever reason if you have win 7 pro you can download XP mode and just install office in there. If you don't have the pro version then you can dowload Virtual Box and install a copy of XP in there, assuming you have one or can "obtain" one anyway.

Bolbi

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009

Again, you really should be using the academics CD, NOT the SP2 CD. And don't use the command prompt; it only works if setup.exe is in the root folder on the CD. That's the case most of the time, but not all. I would browse around on the academic CD for setup.exe.

Bolbi
Not true about using cmd prompt to do search.
The dos command I used will search the root directory and ALL sub directories.
/s = All folders |more will pause listing when display page is filled

Do a Dir /? from the cmd prompt - will list all the switches
such as /H to display hidden files.

megamanx00
The CD does not know that you previouslly used it. That's the fuction of activation after installation (or entering the key in some rare cases)

Bolbi

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009

Oops! My bad! Sorry about that...