Right Clicking on Desktop= Freeze

New XP user here. Been using Win 98SE for a good while now and I am not
particularly happy with upgrading to XP so far.

Right now my primary problems are a big nuisance having to do with the right
click function.

When I right click on an empty space on my desktop, the computer loads a
bit, then freezes. After a bit, Explorer resets itself and my computer is
free again. If this were only the case I would live with it. However, this
same problem ocurrs when I try to access the "File" menu in order to save or
open a file, resulting in the inability to acess that all important menu at
all, which is why I am here.

Also, at times an error message under Dr. Watson's Postmortem Debugger pops
up saying it has encountered an error and needs to close. It asks to send an
error report, which makes no difference whether I submit or decline.

I've also noticed that the computer will recover itself when it is frozen
when I end the Drwatson.exe process running in the background.

I am positive it has nothing to do at all with the mouse as this same
problem presists with 3 different mouses I have tried.

If anyone can offer assistance I would greatly appreciate it.
1 answer Last reply
More about right clicking desktop freeze

    Right-click is slow or weird behavior caused by context menu handlers:

    Right click causes and error and crashes Explorer.exe after installing Windows XP SP2?:
    http://www.winxptutor.com/sp2/divxcrash.htm

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

[...]