setting up user accounts

I have been using the administrative account that is the default from the
start. I did not set up any accounts. Now I need to setup accounts. My 3
yr old can navigate a computer quite well and I need to keep him out of
important files and operations. How do I setup a new account with admin
privilages and be able to get access to programs I already have going on the
admin default profile? Thanks for the help.
5 answers Last reply
More about setting user accounts

    Open the Help and Support Center and search for the article entitled 'Common
    tasks: User accounts'.

    Ted Zieglar

    "ray" <ray@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have been using the administrative account that is the default from the
    > start. I did not set up any accounts. Now I need to setup accounts. My
    > 3
    > yr old can navigate a computer quite well and I need to keep him out of
    > important files and operations. How do I setup a new account with admin
    > privilages and be able to get access to programs I already have going on
    > the
    > admin default profile? Thanks for the help.

    Good idea. Open the Help and Support Center and search for the article
    entitled 'Common
    tasks: User accounts'.

    Ted Zieglar

    "ray" <ray@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have been using the administrative account that is the default from the
    > start. I did not set up any accounts. Now I need to setup accounts. My
    > 3
    > yr old can navigate a computer quite well and I need to keep him out of
    > important files and operations. How do I setup a new account with admin
    > privilages and be able to get access to programs I already have going on
    > the
    > admin default profile? Thanks for the help.

    Hi Ray,
    Control Panel--->User Accounts
    With XP, you'll want to make sure that the youngun's account isn't set to
    the default Administrator level. :)

    Ron Chamberlin
    MS-MVP

    ray wrote:
    > I have been using the administrative account that is the default from the
    > start. I did not set up any accounts.

    Well you've been pretty lucky that the Administrator account didn't
    corrupt - you should never use that account for day-to-day use.

    Now I need to setup accounts. My 3
    > yr old can navigate a computer quite well and I need to keep him out of
    > important files and operations. How do I setup a new account with admin
    > privilages and be able to get access to programs I already have going on the
    > admin default profile? Thanks for the help.

    I have setup new user accounts with one having admin rights. How do I get
    existing data ( Microsoft Money and Outlook) into my new user account from

    "ray" wrote:

    > I have been using the administrative account that is the default from the
    > start. I did not set up any accounts. Now I need to setup accounts. My 3
    > yr old can navigate a computer quite well and I need to keep him out of
    > important files and operations. How do I setup a new account with admin
    > privilages and be able to get access to programs I already have going on the
    > admin default profile? Thanks for the help.

Default User Accounts Windows XP