setting up user accounts

December 29, 2004 11:37:01 PM

I have been using the administrative account that is the default from the
start. I did not set up any accounts. Now I need to setup accounts. My 3
yr old can navigate a computer quite well and I need to keep him out of
important files and operations. How do I setup a new account with admin
privilages and be able to get access to programs I already have going on the
admin default profile? Thanks for the help.

More about : setting user accounts

Anonymous
December 30, 2004 3:10:30 AM

Open the Help and Support Center and search for the article entitled 'Common
tasks: User accounts'.

Ted Zieglar

"ray" <ray@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have been using the administrative account that is the default from the
> start. I did not set up any accounts. Now I need to setup accounts. My
> 3
> yr old can navigate a computer quite well and I need to keep him out of
> important files and operations. How do I setup a new account with admin
> privilages and be able to get access to programs I already have going on
> the
> admin default profile? Thanks for the help.
Anonymous
December 30, 2004 3:11:14 AM

Good idea. Open the Help and Support Center and search for the article
entitled 'Common
tasks: User accounts'.

Ted Zieglar

"ray" <ray@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have been using the administrative account that is the default from the
> start. I did not set up any accounts. Now I need to setup accounts. My
> 3
> yr old can navigate a computer quite well and I need to keep him out of
> important files and operations. How do I setup a new account with admin
> privilages and be able to get access to programs I already have going on
> the
> admin default profile? Thanks for the help.
December 30, 2004 4:37:03 AM

Hi Ray,
Control Panel--->User Accounts
With XP, you'll want to make sure that the youngun's account isn't set to
the default Administrator level. :)

Ron Chamberlin
MS-MVP

"ray" <ray@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have been using the administrative account that is the default from the
> start. I did not set up any accounts. Now I need to setup accounts. My
> 3
> yr old can navigate a computer quite well and I need to keep him out of
> important files and operations. How do I setup a new account with admin
> privilages and be able to get access to programs I already have going on
> the
> admin default profile? Thanks for the help.

December 30, 2004 2:10:34 PM

ray wrote:
> I have been using the administrative account that is the default from the
> start. I did not set up any accounts.

Well you've been pretty lucky that the Administrator account didn't
corrupt - you should never use that account for day-to-day use.

Now I need to setup accounts. My 3
> yr old can navigate a computer quite well and I need to keep him out of
> important files and operations. How do I setup a new account with admin
> privilages and be able to get access to programs I already have going on the
> admin default profile? Thanks for the help.
December 31, 2004 1:01:01 AM

I have setup new user accounts with one having admin rights. How do I get
existing data ( Microsoft Money and Outlook) into my new user account from

!