In xp "msconfig--Startup" how do I expand the Location to ..

In xp "msconfig--Startup" how do I expand the Location to see it all??

Thanks
D.
7 answers Last reply
More about msconfig startup expand location

    "Dorothy" <dpost8@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > In xp "msconfig--Startup" how do I expand the Location to see it all??
    >
    > Thanks
    > D.
    There are faint little border dividers between the 3 categories

    First rest your mouse cursor on the little vertical bar between
    Command and Location - your mouse pointer becomes a
    double-headed arrow pointing left and right -
    Click your left mouse button and hold down -
    Move that border toward the left a little -
    It will start to cover up the Command category -
    Leave just the beginning of the Command category showing
    and let go of your left mouse button -
    Now find the little vertical bar to the right of the Location
    category and do the same procedure but move it to the right
    until the full Location path is displayed

    Select an entry (to set the focus on the list box) and then press the CTRL and + keys together. Scroll right to see the location.

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    XPUSER wrote:

    > "Dorothy" <dpost8@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>In xp "msconfig--Startup" how do I expand the Location to see it all??
    >>
    >>Thanks
    >>D.

    > There are faint little border dividers between the 3 categories
    >
    > First rest your mouse cursor on the little vertical bar between
    > Command and Location - your mouse pointer becomes a
    > double-headed arrow pointing left and right -
    > Click your left mouse button and hold down -
    > Move that border toward the left a little -
    > It will start to cover up the Command category -
    > Leave just the beginning of the Command category showing
    > and let go of your left mouse button -
    > Now find the little vertical bar to the right of the Location
    > category and do the same procedure but move it to the right
    > until the full Location path is displayed

    Thank you
    This is the best explanation I received

    D.

    > XPUSER wrote:
    >
    >> "Dorothy" <dpost8@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>In xp "msconfig--Startup" how do I expand the Location to see it all??
    >>>
    >>>Thanks
    >>>D.
    >> There are faint little border dividers between the 3 categories
    >>
    >> First rest your mouse cursor on the little vertical bar between
    >> Command and Location - your mouse pointer becomes a
    >> double-headed arrow pointing left and right -
    >> Click your left mouse button and hold down -
    >> Move that border toward the left a little -
    >> It will start to cover up the Command category -
    >> Leave just the beginning of the Command category showing
    >> and let go of your left mouse button -
    >> Now find the little vertical bar to the right of the Location
    >> category and do the same procedure but move it to the right
    >> until the full Location path is displayed
    > Thank you
    > This is the best explanation I received
    >
    > D.
    You are welcome.
    Are you planning on going into the Registry to delete startup items?

    Dorothy wrote:

    >In xp "msconfig--Startup" how do I expand the Location to see it all??

    You don't need to: the lead characters are enough
    HKLM\ means
    and HKCU\ means
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    both in the registry

    Startup means the
    C:\Documents and Settings\yourname\StartMenu\Programs\Startup
    folder, and Common startup the one for All Users rather than yourname
    (Easiest just to look in the Start Menu for the All Programs - Startup
    sub-menu)

    > You are welcome.
    > Are you planning on going into the Registry to delete startup items?
    >
    > Is this the ONLY way to delete startup items? Please someone tell me there is an easier way???? My pc is loading a bazillion things at startup that run in the background and some live in the system tray(?) all those icons on the right hand end of the taskbar. I just changed the RAM chip(128) out with two 256's and its still terribly slow at startup. What do I really need there? And how can I get rid of what I dont need? Thanks a bunch.

    1. The free program Startup Control File available at http://www.mlin.net/
    is better for removing startup items than msconfig (which is really intended
    as a diagnostic tool).
    2. If the programs are loading at startup are ones you really don't need
    (i.e. and not that you just don't want to autoload), uninstall them from
    Control Panel / Add or Remove Programs rather than just removing the startup
    command.
    3. Can you identify all of the "bazillion things " loading? I'd also
    recommend you do a spyware scan using Ad-aware and Spybot.
    Ad-Aware - http://www.lavasoftusa.com
    Spybot - http://www.safer-networking.org/
    --

    "Jennifer" <Jennifer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    >> You are welcome.
    >> Are you planning on going into the Registry to delete startup items?
    >>
    >> Is this the ONLY way to delete startup items? Please someone tell me
    >> there is an easier way???? My pc is loading a bazillion things at
    >> startup that run in the background and some live in the system tray(?)
    >> all those icons on the right hand end of the taskbar. I just changed the
    >> RAM chip(128) out with two 256's and its still terribly slow at startup.
    >> What do I really need there? And how can I get rid of what I dont need?
    >> Thanks a bunch.

Windows XP Microsoft Expand Msconfig