Formatting cd-rw's in XP

I am new to XP. I used to have DirectCD and Easty CD Creator and that was
how I formatted my cd-rw's for use.

Now that I don't have DirectCD, how can I make the cd-rw's useable?
8 answers Last reply
More about formatting

    Open the Help and Support Center and search for the article entitled: To
    erase files from a CD.
    --
    Ted Zieglar

    "Sherri" <Sherri@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I am new to XP. I used to have DirectCD and Easty CD Creator and that was
    > how I formatted my cd-rw's for use.
    >
    > Now that I don't have DirectCD, how can I make the cd-rw's useable?

    That article tells you how to erase files from a CD that you already are able
    to use. I need to know how to make it so that I can use a 'never used' CD-RW.

    "Ted Zieglar" wrote:

    > Open the Help and Support Center and search for the article entitled: To
    > erase files from a CD.
    > --
    > Ted Zieglar
    >

    > "Sherri" <Sherri@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I am new to XP. I used to have DirectCD and Easty CD Creator and that was
    > > how I formatted my cd-rw's for use.
    > >
    > > Now that I don't have DirectCD, how can I make the cd-rw's useable?

    if you right click on The Drive While The Cd is in it.. Do u Get a
    Choice to Format ?
    I have Direct-Cd installed and it is there on mine...

    Also You can try this

    Right click on the File you want to Copy and Choose SEND TO then
    choose your Drive

    Sherri wrote:

    > That article tells you how to erase files from a CD that you already are able
    > to use. I need to know how to make it so that I can use a 'never used' CD-RW.
    >
    > "Ted Zieglar" wrote:
    >

    >>Open the Help and Support Center and search for the article entitled: To
    >>erase files from a CD.
    >>--
    >>Ted Zieglar
    >>

    >>"Sherri" <Sherri@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>I am new to XP. I used to have DirectCD and Easty CD Creator and that was
    >>>how I formatted my cd-rw's for use.
    >>>
    >>>Now that I don't have DirectCD, how can I make the cd-rw's useable?

    No, I don't get a choice to format. I no longer have Direct-CD because it
    wasn't compatible with XP. I can't send the file to the CD because the drive
    doesn't recognize that the CD is even in the drive because it hasn't been
    formatted yet.

    "Santa" wrote:

    > if you right click on The Drive While The Cd is in it.. Do u Get a
    > Choice to Format ?
    > I have Direct-Cd installed and it is there on mine...
    >
    > Also You can try this
    >
    > Right click on the File you want to Copy and Choose SEND TO then
    > choose your Drive
    >

    > Sherri wrote:
    >
    > > That article tells you how to erase files from a CD that you already are able
    > > to use. I need to know how to make it so that I can use a 'never used' CD-RW.
    > >
    > > "Ted Zieglar" wrote:
    > >

    > >>Open the Help and Support Center and search for the article entitled: To
    > >>erase files from a CD.
    > >>--
    > >>Ted Zieglar
    > >>

    > >>"Sherri" <Sherri@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    Why not just buy Easy Media Creator? It's widely discounted and rebated. You
    can probably find a copy of Easy CD and DVD Creator 6 for even less.
    --

    > No, I don't get a choice to format. I no longer have Direct-CD because it
    > wasn't compatible with XP. I can't send the file to the CD because the
    drive
    > doesn't recognize that the CD is even in the drive because it hasn't been
    > formatted yet.
    >
    > "Santa" wrote:
    >
    > > if you right click on The Drive While The Cd is in it.. Do u Get a
    > > Choice to Format ?
    > > I have Direct-Cd installed and it is there on mine...
    > >
    > > Also You can try this
    > >
    > > Right click on the File you want to Copy and Choose SEND TO then
    > > choose your Drive
    > >

    > > Sherri wrote:
    > >
    > > > That article tells you how to erase files from a CD that you already
    are able
    > > > to use. I need to know how to make it so that I can use a 'never
    used' CD-RW.

    what version of Easy Cd Creator did u have ???

    I had 4.01 when i first installed Xp ... and I ran 4.01 in Compatibility
    Mode ( Me) and it all worked for me including Direct Cd

    Now I have 5.0 and creator 7 on my computer
    and Let 5.0 do all the work

    Sherri wrote:

    > No, I don't get a choice to format. I no longer have Direct-CD because it
    > wasn't compatible with XP. I can't send the file to the CD because the drive
    > doesn't recognize that the CD is even in the drive because it hasn't been
    > formatted yet.
    >
    > "Santa" wrote:
    >

    >>if you right click on The Drive While The Cd is in it.. Do u Get a
    >>Choice to Format ?
    >> I have Direct-Cd installed and it is there on mine...
    >>
    >>Also You can try this
    >>
    >>Right click on the File you want to Copy and Choose SEND TO then
    >>choose your Drive
    >>

    >>Sherri wrote:
    >>

    >>>That article tells you how to erase files from a CD that you already are able
    >>>to use. I need to know how to make it so that I can use a 'never used' CD-RW.

    "Sherri" <Sherri@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am new to XP. I used to have DirectCD and Easty CD Creator and that was
    > how I formatted my cd-rw's for use.
    >
    > Now that I don't have DirectCD, how can I make the cd-rw's useable?
    If I understand the following article correctly,
    a third-party program is required to format CDRW's.
    I could be wrong, but you can check out the article for yourself.

    http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.php

    Sherri wrote:

    >I am new to XP. I used to have DirectCD and Easty CD Creator and that was
    >how I formatted my cd-rw's for use.
    >
    >Now that I don't have DirectCD, how can I make the cd-rw's useable?

    If you want to use that type of packet writing package you need to
    install the same one as before, in an up to date version. XP itself
    does not support the method. See more at
    http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.htm

Formatting CD-Rom Windows XP