Formatting cd-rw's in XP

December 30, 2004 12:29:04 PM

I am new to XP. I used to have DirectCD and Easty CD Creator and that was
how I formatted my cd-rw's for use.

Now that I don't have DirectCD, how can I make the cd-rw's useable?

More about : formatting

Anonymous
December 30, 2004 4:19:33 PM

Open the Help and Support Center and search for the article entitled: To
erase files from a CD.
--
Ted Zieglar

"Sherri" <Sherri@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am new to XP. I used to have DirectCD and Easty CD Creator and that was
> how I formatted my cd-rw's for use.
>
> Now that I don't have DirectCD, how can I make the cd-rw's useable?
Anonymous
December 30, 2004 4:19:34 PM

That article tells you how to erase files from a CD that you already are able
to use. I need to know how to make it so that I can use a 'never used' CD-RW.

"Ted Zieglar" wrote:

> Open the Help and Support Center and search for the article entitled: To
> erase files from a CD.
> --
> Ted Zieglar
>

> "Sherri" <Sherri@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I am new to XP. I used to have DirectCD and Easty CD Creator and that was
> > how I formatted my cd-rw's for use.
> >
> > Now that I don't have DirectCD, how can I make the cd-rw's useable?

Related resources
December 30, 2004 6:27:49 PM

if you right click on The Drive While The Cd is in it.. Do u Get a
Choice to Format ?
I have Direct-Cd installed and it is there on mine...

Also You can try this

Right click on the File you want to Copy and Choose SEND TO then
choose your Drive

Sherri wrote:

> That article tells you how to erase files from a CD that you already are able
> to use. I need to know how to make it so that I can use a 'never used' CD-RW.
>
> "Ted Zieglar" wrote:
>

>>Open the Help and Support Center and search for the article entitled: To
>>erase files from a CD.
>>--
>>Ted Zieglar
>>

>>"Sherri" <Sherri@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>I am new to XP. I used to have DirectCD and Easty CD Creator and that was
>>>how I formatted my cd-rw's for use.
>>>
>>>Now that I don't have DirectCD, how can I make the cd-rw's useable?

Anonymous
December 30, 2004 6:27:50 PM

No, I don't get a choice to format. I no longer have Direct-CD because it
wasn't compatible with XP. I can't send the file to the CD because the drive
doesn't recognize that the CD is even in the drive because it hasn't been
formatted yet.

"Santa" wrote:

> if you right click on The Drive While The Cd is in it.. Do u Get a
> Choice to Format ?
> I have Direct-Cd installed and it is there on mine...
>
> Also You can try this
>
> Right click on the File you want to Copy and Choose SEND TO then
> choose your Drive
>

> Sherri wrote:
>
> > That article tells you how to erase files from a CD that you already are able
> > to use. I need to know how to make it so that I can use a 'never used' CD-RW.
> >
> > "Ted Zieglar" wrote:
> >

> >>Open the Help and Support Center and search for the article entitled: To
> >>erase files from a CD.
> >>--
> >>Ted Zieglar
> >>

> >>"Sherri" <Sherri@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
December 30, 2004 6:50:33 PM

Why not just buy Easy Media Creator? It's widely discounted and rebated. You
can probably find a copy of Easy CD and DVD Creator 6 for even less.
--

> No, I don't get a choice to format. I no longer have Direct-CD because it
> wasn't compatible with XP. I can't send the file to the CD because the
drive
> doesn't recognize that the CD is even in the drive because it hasn't been
> formatted yet.
>
> "Santa" wrote:
>
> > if you right click on The Drive While The Cd is in it.. Do u Get a
> > Choice to Format ?
> > I have Direct-Cd installed and it is there on mine...
> >
> > Also You can try this
> >
> > Right click on the File you want to Copy and Choose SEND TO then
> > choose your Drive
> >

> > Sherri wrote:
> >
> > > That article tells you how to erase files from a CD that you already
are able
> > > to use. I need to know how to make it so that I can use a 'never
used' CD-RW.

December 30, 2004 6:52:07 PM

what version of Easy Cd Creator did u have ???

I had 4.01 when i first installed Xp ... and I ran 4.01 in Compatibility
Mode ( Me) and it all worked for me including Direct Cd

Now I have 5.0 and creator 7 on my computer
and Let 5.0 do all the work

Sherri wrote:

> No, I don't get a choice to format. I no longer have Direct-CD because it
> wasn't compatible with XP. I can't send the file to the CD because the drive
> doesn't recognize that the CD is even in the drive because it hasn't been
> formatted yet.
>
> "Santa" wrote:
>

>>if you right click on The Drive While The Cd is in it.. Do u Get a
>>Choice to Format ?
>> I have Direct-Cd installed and it is there on mine...
>>
>>Also You can try this
>>
>>Right click on the File you want to Copy and Choose SEND TO then
>>choose your Drive
>>

>>Sherri wrote:
>>

>>>That article tells you how to erase files from a CD that you already are able
>>>to use. I need to know how to make it so that I can use a 'never used' CD-RW.

Anonymous
December 30, 2004 10:54:48 PM

"Sherri" <Sherri@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am new to XP. I used to have DirectCD and Easty CD Creator and that was
> how I formatted my cd-rw's for use.
>
> Now that I don't have DirectCD, how can I make the cd-rw's useable?
If I understand the following article correctly,
a third-party program is required to format CDRW's.
I could be wrong, but you can check out the article for yourself.

http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.php
December 31, 2004 8:56:32 PM

Sherri wrote:

>I am new to XP. I used to have DirectCD and Easty CD Creator and that was
>how I formatted my cd-rw's for use.
>
>Now that I don't have DirectCD, how can I make the cd-rw's useable?

If you want to use that type of packet writing package you need to
install the same one as before, in an up to date version. XP itself
does not support the method. See more at
http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.htm