AMD Athlon 1ghz
Asus A7VE KT133
512Mb pc133 SDRam
Geforce 4 Ti4200
Toshiba DVD-Rom
Sony CD-RW
40gb HD
Antec Smart Case Fan variable speed up to 3000rpm
(Can't remember the brand and model numbers as I am at work)

I will be going to a
A8N8X Deluxe
Athlon Xp 2100+
512mb PC2700 DDR333 Ram
The peripherals will stay the same.

My question is will my old 250W power supply be enough for the new Mobo and CPU? I dont have the make of the Supply offhand but I can get it later when Im off work.

Twitch

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2003
I wouldn't even try it. Even if the system starts up the first time, it's very likely you'll be plagued with random instability issues. Just bite the bullet and get yourself a quality 300W or 350W power supply. You'll probably avoid some headaches later.

<-----Insert witty sig line here.

johnoh

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2002
No reason not to try it other than if the new system doesn't work right away you may have headaches troubleshooting it since underpowered psu symptoms
can look like other problems

<i>Reason the only absolute. Irrationality the only enemy. </i>

Simpsonia

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2003
Thanks for the replies. I did try it once, but the system didnt even power up so I played with the connection reseated the power supply cable on the board and still wouldn't power up. I chalked it up to being a dud board and sent it back for RMA. Just got the new one in the mail today hooked it all up and to my suprise *gasp* doesn't power up. So Im guessing that this power supply doesnt even have enough juice to turn it on? Note that the supply worked, and still works great with my old board.

The board gets power, I can see the green LED come on but it just won't power up at all.

dhlucke

Polypheme
Yeah, that's a good conclusion. It's worth it to try sometimes, but usually it won't work. Unfortionately not all powersupplies are made the same so it's tough for us to just say "yes it will work", or "no, you're screwed".

<font color=red>
<A HREF="http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?dhlucke" target="_new">The French are being described as cheese-eating surrender monkeys.</A></font color=red>

drbino

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2002
On a similar note, I have noticed in the last few months that sometimes when I power-up my computer, it won't boot. It's like there is no power going to it, yet the power LED is on. Upon some experimentation, I have found that if I hold the power button down for a good second, then it will boot fine. If I just quickly depress the power button when attempting to power-up, that is when it sometimes will not boot.

I don't think my button-pressing technique has changed :), leading me to the conclusion that the reason why my computer has become dependent on how long I hold the power button down is that something about my computer has changed. Is my power supply about to take a crap on me?

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
Check in your CMOS... Some BIOSs support a short press for standby and a long press for power option. Rather than turning your system on, you might merely be putting it in standby.

<b>(</b>It ain't better if it don't work.<b>)</b>