Resistance 2 Review

tmeacham

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2005
Review by Kevin Parrish.

Insomniac's bestselling PlayStation 3 exclusive Resistance: Fall of Man gets a sequel, and this time the Chimera invade America. With a 60-player multiplayer mode, could Resistance 2 be the best PS3 title yet?

http://www.tomsgames.com/us/2008/11/24/resistance2_review/

bluntsky

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
I am getting tired of derivative sequels and good franchises being run like whores. Innovation and creativity are too often trampled in the pursuit of corporate profits. There are a lot of titles getting 9s on these review sites when they should be getting 6s. For instance: Far Cry 2, Fallout 3, even COD5: most titles that end in a number. As good as the Call of Duty formula is, it is losing it's effect from over use. Gameplay should reflect the bulk of any game score. Good graphics should be taken for granted these days, and only bad graphics punished. As gamers, we should be setting the bar higher.

Left 4 Dead, which does a lot of borrowing from a variety of sources, is well polished and the gameplay is innovative. It has a number in the title, but not at the end. Other developers should take note of how this game was put together and apply similar principles in their own way. For my money it's the game of the year.

Speaking of money, it take a lot to keep a PC in prime gaming condidtion, and as with movies and TV, the quality of games (gameplay and quality of gaming experience) has generally been erroding. The PC games of the 80s and 90s were comparatively awesome for their innovation and idiosyncracies, there was a genuine variety of titles instead of the homogenous 'clone' games we are playing today.

Why should I keep dumping a tonne of money down a machine that brings me less joy all the time?

pr2thej

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008
Reviewers are scared of annoying the big gaming companies which would lead to said big companies not sending their marketing excercises....sorry "games" to aforementioned reviewers.

Its virtually the same trick as Heinz Ketchup Vs store branded Ketchup - most go for the brand because they trust it.

"But while Resistance 2 feels like an epic rehash, the game itself is a great experience."

This made me laugh, its pretty typical of why sequels are so popular - You enjoyed the first game, now pay another £30 or w/e to continue the story!!

TRENDING THREADS