nForce2...did you see the SIZE of that lead?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Tom's platform test shows the nForce 2 carries a SIGNIFICANT performance lead over all other AMD chipsets, not just a marginal lead as some believe.

It also shows the SiS chipsets to be comparable to VIA chipsets of similar release dates. What it doesn't show is that SiS lacks the problems that plague VIA chipsets.

So there's no reason to get a VIA anything. Hasn't been for around 2 years.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

Twitch

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2003
Well, you know how much I love VIA, and all of the very positive system reinstalling experiences I've had running VIA machines. I would prefer SiS or nVidia. nVidia's lead is not only substantial in almost all of the benchmarks, but it exists in EVERY benchmark. Nowadays, it's kinda rare to see one product so completely outperform competitive products. AMD really, really needed nForce2. Think of how far they'd be lagging behind Intel without nVidia's chipset to squeeze every last ounce of performance from Athlon. Think of how bad Athlon would look if they only had VIA to rely upon.

<-----Insert witty sig line here.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Twitch on 03/03/03 03:39 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Auburn9698

Champion
Yeah, I saw that this morning! Made me even happier with the one I just got. And Twitch is right, you don't usually see one product outperfom another in a whole benchmark sample. Heck, even some video benchmarks end up with a Ti4200 edging a 9700 Pro.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Funny, I don't remember nForce1 doing this badly when it was released. I thought it trailed but was close in performance to KT266A.

<b>99% is great, unless you are talking about system stability</b>