partitition sizing

I'll be getting a shiny new system in the New Year -Yippee!!!

Is there a optimum drive size for the OS? I'll have enough storage at long
last - 2 x 200gb drives in Raid 0 - for all my immediate and future needs
and I'm trying to work out a sensible partitioning scheme. Apart from a
massive amount of storage for working with Photoshop and an equally massive
storage area for the resultant images, I want to start getting into some
basic video editing as well. I'm not particularly into games, apart from
the occasional frightening take offs in flight sim a (and even more
terrifying attempts to land) and I'll be moving up to Office 2003 from
Office 2000. I'd like to reserve separate space for a backup of the OS.
Tentatively I think partitions of 10 gbs in size each will be adequate for
the OS, its backup, office and video applications, a separate partition for
games and office data, the remainder being used for graphics.

Do these sizes seem to be suitable? Is there any particular order in which
they should be arranged?

TIA
Happy New Year
RoS
5 answers Last reply
More about partitition sizing

    The operating system is usually installed on C: drive, and is the active dos
    partition.

    The 10 gb partition should be large enough for XP.
    Do format your partitions in the NTFS format so you will not have problems
    with size.

    You can arrange drive letters as you please.

    "RoS" <kermitbaby@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
    > I'll be getting a shiny new system in the New Year -Yippee!!!
    >
    > Is there a optimum drive size for the OS? I'll have enough storage at
    > long
    <Snip>

    RoS, if you do quite a bit of partitioning, you might acquire a 3rd party
    partition manager such as Partition Magic or BootIt NG.
    You can do partition changing on the fly without losing any programs already
    installed.

    "RoS" <kermitbaby@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
    > I'll be getting a shiny new system in the New Year -Yippee!!!
    <Snip>

    I agree with JerryM. 10gb for XP works fine. I then make two more
    partitions. One about 5-10 mb for installing programs then the last
    partition is for data.. You can have more partitions, but 3 seems to work
    fine.
    "JerryM (ID)" <jerrym526@cableone.net> wrote in message
    > The operating system is usually installed on C: drive, and is the active
    > dos partition.
    >
    > The 10 gb partition should be large enough for XP.
    > Do format your partitions in the NTFS format so you will not have problems
    > with size.
    >
    > You can arrange drive letters as you please.
    >

    > "RoS" <kermitbaby@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
    >> I'll be getting a shiny new system in the New Year -Yippee!!!
    >>
    >> Is there a optimum drive size for the OS? I'll have enough storage at
    >> long
    > <Snip>

    Useful info there. Many thanks! I had been wondering about getting a 3rd
    party app for doing this.

    Does XP cope with any of this, including formatting in NFTS, do you know or
    is all too much of a headache?

    I last used multi partitions in Win Me and found my regrettably now obsolete
    Partitionmagic 6 so easy compared with Fdisk. I think that when facing the
    job of setting up a new system, new OS, the housekeeping/spring cleaning of
    selecting which apps to install and what data to keep and transfer from the
    accumulations of the last 8 years, the more simple life is the better.

    RoS

    Hi again, RoS,

    If you have a full retail version of XP, You can boot with the XP CD,
    if you go into your bios and set the CDrom drive to boot before the hard
    drive does.
    Watch your startup screen closely to hit any key to boot from the CDrom.
    It contains all the tools necessary for partitioning and formatting either
    Fat32 or NTFS.
    If you decide to go with Partition Magic, The latest version is 8.01

    Good Luck,
    Jerry

    > Useful info there. Many thanks! I had been wondering about getting a 3rd
    > party app for doing this.
    >
    > Does XP cope with any of this, including formatting in NFTS, do you know
    > or
    > is all too much of a headache?
    >
    > I last used multi partitions in Win Me and found my regrettably now
    > obsolete
    > Partitionmagic 6 so easy compared with Fdisk. I think that when facing
    > the
    > job of setting up a new system, new OS, the housekeeping/spring cleaning
    > of
    > selecting which apps to install and what data to keep and transfer from
    > the
    > accumulations of the last 8 years, the more simple life is the better.
    >
    > RoS

Storage Windows XP