Sign in with
Your question

Left for Dead - Comments please!

Last response: in Video Games
November 26, 2008 12:01:13 PM

Hey guys, I am now the proud owner of L4D after playing the demo to death I am now doing the same with the full game. I fu**in love this game it is the most fun you can have with your pants on! I have managed to complete all the levels on normal but anything harder is posing a prob at the moment lol. So the reason I posted was anyone got any other impressions, anyone hate it? Any awesome stories? And I need some more steam friends for L4D as well so add orgasmatronuk
Cheers!

More about : left dead comments

November 26, 2008 12:28:09 PM

theres a TH Steam group thread somewhere not too far away
November 26, 2008 6:03:07 PM

I love the game, I only play on expert as all other game modes are to easy. I actually got the achievement for beating all movies on expert "what are you trying to prove" I think it was called.

Dead Air is probly my fav
Blood Harvest was the hardest

Me and a group of my friends I normally play with figured out a really easy way to beat the final level, only problem is having everyone survive 2 tanks. No Mercy seems to toss 4 tanks at us for some reason though, that is hard!

Overall, I love the game and will keep playing it. I look foward to the SDK being released and seeing what custom content gets released. I know a Dawn of the Dead mall map is in the works.

~Death Dream~
Related resources
November 27, 2008 7:38:10 PM

Vs mode on No Mercy finale:

Tough fight until one of us spawned as a tank and knocked a survivor off the roof with one hit! :lol:  :lol:  Funny for us , but not the survivors! :sweat: 

This game is fun with a good bunch of people, but it can also be hell to play with the wrong group.
November 28, 2008 12:23:15 AM

It is Left 4 Dead not Left for Dead.
November 28, 2008 4:07:31 AM

SpinachEater said:
It is Left 4 Dead not Left for Dead.

Actually when you are playing Versus mode and when it is your team's turn to play survivors, everyone bails and then it is "Left 2 Die" for the one remaining human player with 3 bots :o  !
November 28, 2008 7:59:49 AM

Just wanted to throw in my opinion on the game, based on playing the demo.

It was good fun to do but I had the feeling that this would not keep my attention for more than a few hours, so I have put off buying it till now. I suspect it's just not really my thing.

The demo did not cover versus mode, so can anyone elaborate how that works out, in comparision with other team vs team multiplayer games (counterstrike, something capture the flag, team fortress, etc)?
November 28, 2008 8:51:26 AM

It starts good but gets repetitive... smart mac...

Only the multiplayer makes it fun =)
November 28, 2008 9:13:45 AM

Versus mode is so much fun but you have to use the in game voip (C). You either get to spawn as a hunter, boomer, smoker, or if you get lucky the tank. They all have a different playstyle and it takes some getting used to. I found that in vs mode as the survivors basically you REALLY have to stay as a tight group, no more that a few metres apart and instead of working your way carefully though you basically leggit before the enemy can position themselves. As the infected its just awesome, I was playing last night on blood harvest unfortunately the survivors were playin well. Although just as they were heading for the apc to escape I snatched one back off the truck playing as a smoker and ripped him a new one, its soo fun especially if you have some mates on the opposing side.
I could see that the levels (which there are plenty of to start with) would get a little repetetive but valve have already said more maps are on the way and there will be loads of custom content. I am still loving this game!
November 28, 2008 9:15:45 AM

Cool, thanks for the news ;) 
November 28, 2008 9:16:12 AM

I havent even tried single player btw - meh!
November 28, 2008 9:19:09 AM

Ur awesome dewd

Have a nice time. Its much better with more friends tho =)
November 28, 2008 9:23:09 AM

The more friends the better! if anyone wants more L4D chums then add me!
Steam id: orgasmatronuk
nickname: CaptainHero

Not sure which name people need :) 
November 28, 2008 9:24:49 AM

Removed.
November 28, 2008 9:53:12 AM

No need to throw in your steam ID here. Probably better to remove it. Now they only need to hack your password to play some free games or screw your account.
November 28, 2008 2:41:03 PM

Top tip i have found when on the final fight of bloodharvest, after triggering the horde everyone should pile up the stairs and hide in the middle room. Dont fight them in the main house as you have to many angles to cover, windows doors etc. Get to the middle room top floor, one window and one doorway. You can easily hold them off from there. Obviously when the tank comes you are best off with a bit more room, but get back in there when he is dead. You can easily defeat his minions and then just bail outta the window to the apc (when it finally arrives) ;) 
November 28, 2008 3:04:21 PM

I got that achievement "What are you trying to prove" for beating all the movies on Expert =D

VS mode is great fun

~Death Dream~
November 28, 2008 3:48:24 PM

Hunter is my fav, jumping wall jumping is awesome. Reminds me of AvP a bit.

I love VS.
December 4, 2008 10:02:06 PM

I just got Left 4 Dead today, installed it, and have so far only played the first three levels, single player. Basically, I thought it sucked, and I want my money back. I like FPS's, but this is just repetitive. The graphics are nice(1600X1200-everything on extreme), but after awhile, it just gets stale.

I'm extremely disappointed. For me, the game didn't live up to the hype. I'm really hoping multi-player will be better.

December 5, 2008 11:11:16 AM

Captainhero said:
Top tip i have found when on the final fight of bloodharvest, after triggering the horde everyone should pile up the stairs and hide in the middle room. Dont fight them in the main house as you have to many angles to cover, windows doors etc. Get to the middle room top floor, one window and one doorway. You can easily hold them off from there. Obviously when the tank comes you are best off with a bit more room, but get back in there when he is dead. You can easily defeat his minions and then just bail outta the window to the apc (when it finally arrives) ;) 

I did all that, minus the running away when the Tank showed up. Needless to say, only one member of my group survived that debacle :D 
December 5, 2008 1:12:02 PM

The barn is also a good spot in Blood Harvest finale. Top floor, there's isn't many ways to get in there for the zombies. Easier to get out of if needed when the tank comes.

I've seen a team do pretty well in VS No Mercy finale, there's a small hallway with only 2 entrances right under the helipad.
December 7, 2008 1:41:17 PM

I love playing as all the infected. Boomer is great if you just want some easy points because vomiting is so easy to pull off. Or you can just run straight at them and let yourself die. Hunter is awesome if you have a coordinated team, because then you can have friends distract, while you go in for an almost certain quick kill, if not critically damaging attack. Lastly, the smoker is my all-around favorite for the first movie, because you can just get up on top of buildings or on the subway, and get an easy grab. They'll hit you once to make you let go, and then you just move back a bit and set up again. If it is a good coordinated team for infected, it is endless fun completely owning the survivors in no time flat.
December 7, 2008 9:35:11 PM

Does LAN work with 1 disc in L4D?
December 8, 2008 11:07:32 AM

"I've seen a team do pretty well in VS No Mercy finale, there's a small hallway with only 2 entrances right under the helipad"

Im gonna try that, fighting it out on the rooftop can be a pain the a$$. And yeah whenever a tank rolls in you need room to move or you all get flattened quicksmart.....
December 9, 2008 1:18:55 PM

I played a couple of hours last night doing the solo mode to get a feel for it and I was impressed by the graphics. On the downside, the gameplay didn't "get" me. I doubt that I'll spend more than a couple of hours total on that game.
December 9, 2008 2:27:55 PM

@ antiacid: Give it a run through on online campaign on normal level, if you complete, try on expert, it is a lot of fun! If you get bored with campaingn try vs mode, that is where the real fun is to be had. Completely different playstyles though. In campaign you can take your time and clear each section, in vs run like fu** and pace it through the level before the enemy players can setup and destroy you...
December 9, 2008 2:30:12 PM

And another good tip is use a molitov on the tank as soon as you see him. On normal / advanced level he then has 30secs to live so you can just run away, on expert he has 40secs but it is a lot easier to burn and run than to get into a fight with him..
December 13, 2008 2:55:22 PM

tallguy1618 said:
Does LAN work with 1 disc in L4D?

I'll rephrase my question. Will LAN L4D work with just one cd-key? Assuming both profiles are offline so valve won't see the game installed on multiple computers.
December 13, 2008 10:42:59 PM

Heya,

The real fun has yet to really come out yet for L4D. The real fun will be based in community made maps/mods. All your favorite zombie scenarios are up for grabs here. It's going to be a blast--literally.

Very best,
December 13, 2008 11:26:08 PM

Mine just came in the mail, but it'll be another few hours before I can install and play it - after what everyone here has said, I'm really looking forward to it!
December 14, 2008 3:35:11 AM

Apologies for the double post - but I had an idea. We should totally get some of us together and tread through the game on Expert or something, so we can at least know we're not going to just jump ship on each other. Just a thought, I think it'd be a heck of a lot of fun! (Unless Malveaux is still angry at what I've been writing on the Valve vs. Blizzard thread. :)  )
December 14, 2008 4:03:41 AM

Best game ever. Love it to death.

But on Expert mmy friends and I tend to get a Tank per map. Even the last map. So we get say 5 Tanks + the 2 at the end. So its pretty much 7 Tanks of doom unless we light it on fire and run till he dies.
December 14, 2008 4:56:43 AM

Its fun but too many noobs ruin the multiplayer quickly.
December 14, 2008 8:38:45 AM

SnareSpectre said:
(Unless Malveaux is still angry at what I've been writing on the Valve vs. Blizzard thread. :)  )

Clearly,

You are more afflicted by this than I. I'm always down to play games. One post directed towards you doesn't mean anything, sir. It's the Internet.

Very best,
December 14, 2008 7:54:47 PM

Well then by all means send me your e-mail address so we can lock n' load sometime soon. That goes for anyone else on this thread. My e-mail is x3102@aol.com - last night I played through all of "No Mercy" with some random people on Advanced and we did very well until the very last part where we were rushed while waiting for the chopper. Must have tried it 10 times, and the tank killed us all like 8 of those times. Even while I was dying, though, I had a freakin' blast! Never did get saved by the chopper because I had to go to bed and one of the guys on the team liked to pull a Rambo and run off by himself, but it was still a good time. Maybe not as good as turning all the lights off and sitting my dad in front of a 22" monitor to play Dead Space with the sound cranked up, though...must have jumped out of his skin 10 times in just the first chapter!
December 15, 2008 8:23:39 AM

@snarespectre - Add me as a steamfriend and we will try some runs on expert. (orgasatronuk - CaptainHero) Its soo frustrating, Im finding you can fight all the way to the end and then be defeated 5 or 6 times on the last fight then people lose the will to live and bail! The only way to really deal with the tank on expert is to lob a molitov at him and run like hell, if he gets close he can wipe out the team in a matter of seconds....
December 15, 2008 6:43:57 PM

You sure aren't kidding - I've found that Advanced isn't really that hard if your whole team is willing to stick together, but Expert is DANG hard, especially with the tanks, but so much DANG fun, too! And yeah, holding off everything in order for the rescue vehicle to come always seems to be, by far, the toughest part of any campaign.

I just tried adding you as a Steam friend, but it can't find your name. I'm new to Steam, so it's probably something I'm doing...I've tried "orgasatronuk," "CaptainHero," and "orgasatronuk - CaptainHero," but I can't find you. If you want to add me, the e-mail account ID is "x3102," but my nickname on Steam is "Spectre." Since I'm a newbie to Steam I don't know which it is you look for, but I'm guessing it's the nickname.

I just added Malveaux, assuming it's the same person who is on this thread. If you're on tonight, Captain, befriend me and we can play some on Expert. I'm all for it.
December 16, 2008 11:16:11 AM

cr@p sorry typo error - orgasmatronuk.
it has an M!
Captainhero is my nickname. And I will be playin tonite, so will add u! I guess I just search for snarespectre?
Anyone else up for a run through on expert tonight add me as well and we will hopefully get a good group who plays well. Got my akimbo assasin (pistols only) last nite playing thru on easy, god it was too easy!! (good way to get certain achievements tho hehe)
December 16, 2008 11:17:25 AM

ahh re-read your post, will add your account x3102, dont think it works via nick...
December 16, 2008 4:32:32 PM

tried adding x3102, and spectre no one found..................... interesting..
December 16, 2008 7:10:11 PM

Hey guys, I recently got L4D as well. Long time fan of Counter strike, Half life etc etc.

I play on advanced or versus usually. This game is really fun, but I believe it would be SO much better if I could get a decent team!

Anywho, what do you guys need to add me? Or what do I need in order to add you all?

Sorry for jumping in the thread like that, but I really like this game!
December 17, 2008 8:17:17 AM

@Jquater06 - add me mate, im doing vs and trying to complete all levels on expert!
Steamid: orgasmatronuk - nickname: CaptainHero.
I play most nites so hope to see ya on tonite!
December 17, 2008 10:21:07 AM

You can also play the PC version in split screen coop mode (like the Xbox). Haven't tried it yet, but i've read that you lose the cinematic effects and rain. (though maybe they figured out how to fix that, the thread is 40 pages long, so im not gonna find out any time soon).

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=...
December 18, 2008 6:24:18 AM

I guess I should finally pick this game up, get on the Steam community group, and start schooling some of you kids, since I'll have plenty of time on my hands now....
December 18, 2008 7:26:27 AM

Sorry to hear bout the toms games section rob, Fire up L4D and I will smoke your a$$ then you will feel better! Hope to see ya online :) 
December 18, 2008 7:26:45 AM

Sorry to hear bout the toms games section rob, Fire up L4D and I will smoke your a$$ then you will feel better! Hope to see ya online :) 
December 25, 2008 6:43:38 PM

Will L4D work with just one CD key across LAN?
December 29, 2008 9:13:52 AM

robwright said:
I guess I should finally pick this game up, get on the Steam community group, and start schooling some of you kids, since I'll have plenty of time on my hands now....

Not to hijack too much but I have an extra copy of L4D I'll be willing to give for free to you.
!