Sign in with
Your question

Building a new system? Suggestions, input?

Last response: in Motherboards
March 4, 2003 12:12:23 AM

My thoughts:

Mobo: A7N8X-deluxe
CPU: XP2100 or 2400 T-Bred B's or XP2500 Barton
Mem. PC3200 or 3500 333/400 mhz ddr to make use of the dual channel feature.
HSF: Volcano 7+ (already have this)
HD: Maxtor 80gig ATA 133
Vid card: Geforce 4 Ti 4400 (already have this)
Sound and LAN: Plan on using the onboard hardware on the mobo for this.
Case: Maybe something from Antec or Thermaltake w/ at least a 430 psu.

Any suggestions would be great on make of ram i should get and for the cpu i want something that can be overclocked decently if I feel the need to. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
March 4, 2003 2:12:17 AM

Before you buy an A7n8x take a look at the other threads. People are having lots and lots of problems with them.

<b>(</b>It ain't better if it don't work.<b>)</b>
March 4, 2003 11:34:20 AM

The reason Teq is seeing the trouble is because everyone is pushing this board hard. I've set up several of them & had not one wit of trouble. I bought just before the Nforce so I have the KT400 board. Its awful fast, but not as fast as the Nforce. Set them together side by side & you can't see the difference. Only the benches will you see it. However I'd still take the Nforce board over the 400. It is the fastest AMD chip set bar none right now.

If it ain't broke, take it apart & see why not!
Related resources
March 4, 2003 2:19:20 PM

Corsair and Crucial are two reputable memory vendors. Check to make sure the memory you choose is approved for the MB, though. I have an A7N8X (non-dlx), and am having no problems with it. Of course, I'm not f*cking with it, either.

War Eagle
March 4, 2003 4:12:01 PM

I'd go with a new ATI Radeon 9000 series card. You'll be ready for when dx9 comes out and be able to utilize the 8x AGP. Of course, if I was building the system I'd go with an Abit NF7 series which have 4 dimm slots, AGP 8X, the nice Softmenu BIOS, and 5 pci slots. I've been using Abit mobos for years and even run a server using the old kr7a-raid board. I haven't rebooted it for about a year and a half. I like the stability of the Abit boards and the price is just right :smile: .

Insert_ending_here,
TKS
March 4, 2003 4:24:06 PM

You be just as well off to get 512MB of Corsair RAM on one stick. The dual channel won't make a difference unless you use advanced 3D software. I have one stick w/ 512MB and I am happy with the performance. I may add another stick later but this is fine for now. Just something to keep in mind.

<font color=red>The solution may be obvious, but I can't see it for the smoke coming off my processor.</font color=red>
March 4, 2003 11:15:32 PM

Well i'm leaning towards the A7N8X-deluxe, probably because i have always used asus boards. For the mem. i'm looking at Corsair XMS pc3200 400mhz 2x 256mb or the OCZ pc3500 433mhz dual El ( Both are super expensive though). Is the EL mem the same as the dual EL mem from OCZ? Not sure. I probably will overclock but not to any extemes. Id like to get close if not at 200mhz on the mobo's fsb(why im looking into 400mhz or 433mhz mem. Maybe i'll pick up a geforce FX when they are released, but i'm trying to keep the price as low as possible because i'll probably put another one together when the clawhammers are released, and in that i will definetly throw in a high end vid card. I definately want to use the on board audio, and the LAN as well ( who needs the added heat from additional cards) I'm still up in the air on the cpu. I like the barton, but its pricey and not sure how much that cpu can be pushed. I'm sure i can get the 2400 up to 2600+ speeds and the 2100 hopefully up to 2.0 - 2.2 Ghz. Still researching.
!