problem removing program

When I try to remove an adware program ("weatherbug") i get a message:
"could not open install.log file"... in the microsoft knowledge base it says
they know about this problem and may deal with it.. but it doesn't help me as
I can't remove Weatherbug!
Any suggestions?

thanks
3 answers Last reply
More about problem removing program

    If you think that you can simply uninstall adware, you're very naive.

    To get rid of adware you need adware removal software. And even that is no
    guarantee, since adware can be notoriously difficult to remove. And even
    when you are successful at removing the adware, it often leaves your
    computer in an unstable state.

    It sometimes takes more than one program to remove adware, but here's one to
    start with:

    Ad-Aware SE, by Lavasoft
    www.lavasoftusa.com

    And don't blame Microsoft for your problem. You brought this one on
    yourself. You need to 'think before you click', especially when downloading
    "free" software. In this case, had you read the EULA you would have known
    about the adware.

    Ted Zieglar

    "Jerry" <Jerry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > When I try to remove an adware program ("weatherbug") i get a message:
    > "could not open install.log file"... in the microsoft knowledge base it
    > says
    > they know about this problem and may deal with it.. but it doesn't help me
    > as
    > I can't remove Weatherbug!
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > thanks

    You could also try running Spybot Search & Destroy which tends to
    complement Ad-Aware pretty well, you can download this at
    www.download.com but please please run the tutorial before running the
    programme as this will help you avoid doing something that can result
    in these instabilities, or at least help you to recover from a glitch
    if one occurs
    Paul.

    --
    Paul Webster

    Jerry, Go to run and type msconfig then uncheck the box that has weatherbug
    in the startup tab, reboot your machine, then do the uninstall with
    add/remove programs in control panel....if a program loads at startup, this
    is the only way of shutting it down. Barry

    "Jerry" wrote:

    > When I try to remove an adware program ("weatherbug") i get a message:
    > "could not open install.log file"... in the microsoft knowledge base it says
    > they know about this problem and may deal with it.. but it doesn't help me as
    > I can't remove Weatherbug!
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > thanks

Microsoft Windows XP