Any thoughts on Atheros & Netgear?

I'm thinking of upgrading my all-Linksys 802.11b home network to a
802.11g-based network.

I am very impressed with my daughter's Toshiba laptop built-in wireless
g which uses an Atheros chipset. "Very Strong" or "Excellent" signal
strength and no drop outs, where a Linksys wireless PCI card shows
"Good" or worse. This type of improvement is exactly what I need at
home, the G speed is just icing on the cake and will make my kids happy.
I don't even care about Super-G unless it will wash my car for me (where
do they get off saying 108Mpbs when the fine print says it's something
more like 60Mbps?)

The Atheros website says that the Netgear WG311T (PCI wireless card,
AG5002G) and WGT634U (4-port AP, AG5002AP-G) both use the AG5002 chipset
series with Super-G.

Are there any opinions on these Atheros chipsets or these Netgear cards?
How is Netgear email support (that's what I usually use) or how well do
they support their equipment in terms of firmware/drivers/software?

Personally, I'm thinking that buying from the same manufacturer and
matching up the chipsets might be a good way to avoid incompatibilities,
get good support and a solid home network.

Lance
*****
13 answers Last reply
More about thoughts atheros netgear

    Lance <lltbhill@link_earth.net> wrote in news:2pa3b1Fiqbv6U1@uni-berlin.de:

    > I am very impressed with my daughter's Toshiba laptop built-in wireless
    > g which uses an Atheros chipset.

    Could be laptop's antenna more than the chipset.

    Some Laptops have 2+ antennas - and sometimes the entire screen is an
    antenna.

    --
    Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)

    Lucas Tam thought carefully and wrote on 8/27/2004 11:53 PM:

    > Lance <lltbhill@link_earth.net> wrote in news:2pa3b1Fiqbv6U1@uni-berlin.de:
    >>I am very impressed with my daughter's Toshiba laptop built-in wireless
    >>g which uses an Atheros chipset.
    >
    > Could be laptop's antenna more than the chipset.
    >
    > Some Laptops have 2+ antennas - and sometimes the entire screen is an
    > antenna.

    That's interesting, Can an antenna make that much of a difference? I've
    been eyeing some really long ones from Linksys that is supposed to
    replace the OEM antennas. But at $70 each, I have to know they'll work
    before I buy it.

    There also seems to be a complete lack of consumer opinion on the
    WGT634U. That's unusual for a product that's been out for 8 months.

    Now I'm leaning back to Linksys and will be checking to see if it's
    possible to match up Broadcom chipsets.

    Thanks for the info,

    Lance
    *****

    Lance wrote:

    > I'm thinking of upgrading my all-Linksys 802.11b home network to a
    > 802.11g-based network.
    >
    > I am very impressed with my daughter's Toshiba laptop built-in wireless
    > g which uses an Atheros chipset. "Very Strong" or "Excellent" signal
    > strength and no drop outs, where a Linksys wireless PCI card shows
    > "Good" or worse. This type of improvement is exactly what I need at
    > home, the G speed is just icing on the cake and will make my kids happy.
    > I don't even care about Super-G unless it will wash my car for me (where
    > do they get off saying 108Mpbs when the fine print says it's something
    > more like 60Mbps?)
    >
    > The Atheros website says that the Netgear WG311T (PCI wireless card,
    > AG5002G) and WGT634U (4-port AP, AG5002AP-G) both use the AG5002 chipset
    > series with Super-G.
    >
    > Are there any opinions on these Atheros chipsets or these Netgear cards?
    > How is Netgear email support (that's what I usually use) or how well do
    > they support their equipment in terms of firmware/drivers/software?

    Netgear products are unsupported. Unless you regard automatically
    emailed FAQs and unreturned calls to India as support.

    > Personally, I'm thinking that buying from the same manufacturer and
    > matching up the chipsets might be a good way to avoid incompatibilities,
    > get good support and a solid home network.
    >
    > Lance
    > *****

    Thanks for that Larry. Nothing more frustrated then having an
    undocumented problem, carefully crafting a detailed problem report, and
    then receiving an empty-headed reply from customer support.

    Well that's disappointing, but Netgear is now crossed off my list.

    Lance
    *****

    Lance wrote:

    > Thanks for that Larry. Nothing more frustrated then having an
    > undocumented problem, carefully crafting a detailed problem report, and
    > then receiving an empty-headed reply from customer support.

    Especially frustrating because I personally find them to have otherwise
    one of the better product lines in their price class.

    On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 07:08:04 -0700, Lance <lltbhill@link_earth.net>
    wrote :

    >Thanks for that Larry. Nothing more frustrated then having an
    >undocumented problem, carefully crafting a detailed problem report, and
    >then receiving an empty-headed reply from customer support.
    >
    >Well that's disappointing, but Netgear is now crossed off my list.

    Don't rely on just one opinion - Netgear in Australia is well
    supported and very responsive from my experience.

    I bought a DM602 ADDSL modem and a MR814 wireless router, but when I
    tried to set it up, the modem wouldn't connect or even display the
    setup page. I rang Netgear tech sp, got on quickly, and the tech
    spoke Oz, not Hindu. The guy had me run some tests, then said the
    modem was faulty and he would send a replacement. I thought "oh yes,
    I wonder when" but it arrived by courier the next morning, and worked
    fine.

    I have had no trouble with the modem or the router since that - it all
    works well both on wireless and ethernet with good range throughout
    all rooms in my unit - which has triple brick walls, and in the
    garden.

    I'm also using an Atheros wifi with AR5001X based miniPCI card in my
    Toshiba laptop, and it is excellent. The range with the built-in
    antennas in the Toshiba is significantly better than the range
    achieved by the two other laptops using the network, both IBM's, which
    use PCMIA wifi cards with little antennas sticking out of the PCMIA
    slots.

    When I'm in the house I usually use the ethernet connection to do
    system backups from the laptop to the desktop, as it runs at 100M
    compared to the wireless (using b, not a or g) at only 11M. But the
    11M is quite OK for Internet access with 4 computers sharing the
    512KBPS ADSL connection.

    Just my 2c worth.

    --
    Regards,
    Peter Wilkins

    Peter Wilkins said the following on 8/29/2004 5:52 PM:

    > On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 07:08:04 -0700, Lance <lltbhill@link_earth.net>
    > wrote :
    >

    >>Thanks for that Larry. Nothing more frustrated then having an
    >>undocumented problem, carefully crafting a detailed problem report, and
    >>then receiving an empty-headed reply from customer support.
    >>
    >>Well that's disappointing, but Netgear is now crossed off my list.
    >>

    > Don't rely on just one opinion - Netgear in Australia is well
    > supported and very responsive from my experience.
    >
    > I bought a DM602 ADDSL modem and a MR814 wireless router, but when I
    > tried to set it up, the modem wouldn't connect or even display the
    > setup page. I rang Netgear tech sp, got on quickly, and the tech
    > spoke Oz, not Hindu. The guy had me run some tests, then said the
    > modem was faulty and he would send a replacement. I thought "oh yes,
    > I wonder when" but it arrived by courier the next morning, and worked
    > fine.
    >
    > I have had no trouble with the modem or the router since that - it all
    > works well both on wireless and ethernet with good range throughout
    > all rooms in my unit - which has triple brick walls, and in the
    > garden.
    >
    > I'm also using an Atheros wifi with AR5001X based miniPCI card in my
    > Toshiba laptop, and it is excellent. The range with the built-in
    > antennas in the Toshiba is significantly better than the range
    > achieved by the two other laptops using the network, both IBM's, which
    > use PCMIA wifi cards with little antennas sticking out of the PCMIA
    > slots.
    >
    > When I'm in the house I usually use the ethernet connection to do
    > system backups from the laptop to the desktop, as it runs at 100M
    > compared to the wireless (using b, not a or g) at only 11M. But the
    > 11M is quite OK for Internet access with 4 computers sharing the
    > 512KBPS ADSL connection.
    >
    > Just my 2c worth.

    Oh, I never make a decision based on just one opinion. What really
    bothers me is that I can't find any reviews/opinions on the WGT634U
    router and that Netgear has updated the firmware 4 times since
    introducing it in Jan 2004.

    Lance
    *****

    Larry Riffle <spamtrap47@adelphia.net> wrote in news:cgskfv$148s$1
    @f04n12.cac.psu.edu:

    > unreturned calls to India as support.

    I've successfully RMAed 2 Netgear products. No problems here.

    --

    Lance <lltbhill@link_earth.net> wrote in news:2pe71fFjf93aU1@uni-berlin.de:

    > That's interesting, Can an antenna make that much of a difference?

    Yes ; )

    If you havea good antenna... you can get ranges in the miles (literally!)

    --

    Lucas Tam said the following on 8/30/2004 11:39 AM:

    > Lance <lltbhill@link_earth.net> wrote in news:2pe71fFjf93aU1@uni-berlin.de:
    >

    >>That's interesting, Can an antenna make that much of a difference?
    >

    > Yes ; )
    >
    > If you havea good antenna... you can get ranges in the miles (literally!)

    Perhaps what I really need is a directional antenna. My router is
    located at one corner of the house and son's computer is located at the
    opposite corner on second floor. The remaining computers are "sort-of"
    in the same direction (perhaps a 30-40deg arc).

    Any recommendations on where to look for more information?

    Lance
    *****

    Lance <lltbhill@link_earth.net> wrote in news:2pe6a2Fjiu97U1@uni-berlin.de:

    > Well that's disappointing, but Netgear is now crossed off my list.

    Netgear is fine... They're level of support is on par with Dlink, Linksys,
    or any other consumer brand of router.

    I never had any trouble getting my netgear hardware replaced.

    --

    Lucas Tam wrote:

    > Lance <lltbhill@link_earth.net> wrote in news:2pe6a2Fjiu97U1@uni-berlin.de:
    >

    >>Well that's disappointing, but Netgear is now crossed off my list.
    >

    > Netgear is fine... They're level of support is on par with Dlink, Linksys,
    > or any other consumer brand of router.

    I hope you're wrong about the "on a par" part but I fear you're not.

    > I never had any trouble getting my netgear hardware replaced.

    I never tried to get any hardware replaced. I did spend 4 months trying
    to get a correction to a one sentence error in the FWAG114
    documentation. After countless unkept "We'll escalate and call back with
    in 24 hours" promises and as many emails ignored or with nonsensical
    replies, I paid for premium service and several calls later, got the
    corrected instructions.

    Then I filed a BBB complaint. Netgear agreed they were wrong and would
    refund the service charge. A few weeks later I contacted the BBB again.
    This time I got a personal call from the CS manager promising an
    immediate refund. A few weeks later...etc, etc. I finally got my refund.

    I have $1000's worth of Netgear products. No hardware problems but
    that's one of several episodes involving documentation and firmware.

    I stand by my original opinion.
  13. Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

    Lance <lltbhill@link_earth.net> wrote in news:2phf1cFlbtcgU1@uni-berlin.de:

    > Any recommendations on where to look for more information?

    eBay usually has cheap antennas, but http://www.rflinx.com/ will give you
    an ideal of the antennas available.

    --
    Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)