Why should so much tweaking be necessary?

Strictly a rhetorical question, I guess....

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I can't help but feel that things should have
gotten easier with the evolvement of computers, rather than the other way
around.

I'm not new to computers, just new to XP. I mistakenly thought I'd be able
to hook up and go, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Here we have a
whole host of newsgroups dealing with every specific issue, and web sites
devoted to fixes, tweaks, upgrades, etc.

We have to re-educate ourselves, ask questions and read volumes just to be
able to perform 'simpl' tasks on our computers.

Lois

When new gadgets, accessories and luxuries are added to an automobile do you
not have to re-educate yourself in their correct and proper usage?

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

"Lois G." <legalois10pounds@erols.com> wrote in message
> Strictly a rhetorical question, I guess....
>
> Maybe I'm in the minority, but I can't help but feel that things should
> have gotten easier with the evolvement of computers, rather than the other
> way around.
>
> I'm not new to computers, just new to XP. I mistakenly thought I'd be able
> to hook up and go, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Here we have a
> whole host of newsgroups dealing with every specific issue, and web sites
> devoted to fixes, tweaks, upgrades, etc.
>
> We have to re-educate ourselves, ask questions and read volumes just to be
> able to perform 'simpl' tasks on our computers.
>
> Lois

santa

Distinguished
May 14, 2004

Richard Urban wrote:
> When new gadgets, accessories and luxuries are added to an automobile do you
> not have to re-educate yourself in their correct and proper usage?

Thats why I still Have an OLD 1989 Vehicle.. Those NEW gadgets are
un-necessary.. just more money for the manufactures.. no sence of
BUYING something That HAS GADGETS that you DONNOT need

"Lois G." <legalois10pounds@erols.com> wrote in message
> Strictly a rhetorical question, I guess....
>
> Maybe I'm in the minority, but I can't help but feel that things should
> have gotten easier with the evolvement of computers, rather than the other
> way around.
>
> I'm not new to computers, just new to XP. I mistakenly thought I'd be able
> to hook up and go, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Here we have a
> whole host of newsgroups dealing with every specific issue, and web sites
> devoted to fixes, tweaks, upgrades, etc.
>
> We have to re-educate ourselves, ask questions and read volumes just to be
> able to perform 'simpl' tasks on our computers.
>
> Lois

Depends on what you mean by "tweaking" but by my definition, no, you really
don't need to fiddle with a lot of settings to be up and running. Of course
it also depends on the programs you're running and what you want to
accomplish. But the operating system doesn't need much from you at all. On
the other hand, you can spend hours playing with colors, screensavers,
backgrounds, sound schemes, etc., none of which are necessary. Things like
system updates have become more automated, so that's become easier. And
Windows "help" files have become a lot better. Some things are done a bit
differently, but I don't think they've become more difficult at all.

Consider the telephone. Way back when, you picked it up and told the
operator who to connect you with. A cell phone nowadays has a lot of buttons
and gadgets. It has the same basic function -- to call somebody -- but a new
phone includes a lot of functions that never existed before, so there's some
learning curve.

Some people tweak because they like to. And people have different learning
styles. Some are comfortable with the idea of clicking buttons and figuring
out how to do things, while others want detailed instructions and
explanations.

Ah, but that's the difference -- when a new gadget, say a satellite tracking
system, is put in a fancy new car, the steering wheel still turns left and
right the way it used to, you don't have to relearn how to open and close
the door, etc. You generally have to only learn to use the ADDED
capabilities .. even if you have remote entry, you can choose not to use it
and use the key. The problem, as Lois G. points out, is that one has to
relearn to drive from the very basics with each new updated operating
system. All of sudden the gear shift has moved behind the driver's seat and
it's a rotary dial instead of a stick, and you have to hold in the cigarette
lighter before it works. The real problem is that this stuff is all
designed by people whose very lives revolve around computers, and
specifically Windows, using state of the art hardware, and unlike auto
manufacturers no one seems to have checked in with ordinary drivers/users
(as opposed to racing buffs or heads of corporate systems departments).

There is also the problem that it takes education and expertise to do simple
things simply and to stay out of trouble, although things are getting
somewhat better -- e.g., computers ship with the system settings wide open
to vulnarabilites, and to make them secure the user has to restrict browser
and email settings (or get other software), install virus and firewall, etc.
Rationally, the DEFAULT would be for secure systems, allowing the user to
open them up for specific purposes as they gain an idea of what they're
doing and (hopefully) the dangers involved.

"Richard Urban" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote ..
> When new gadgets, accessories and luxuries are added to an automobile do
you
> not have to re-educate yourself in their correct and proper usage?
>

> "Lois G." <legalois10pounds@erols.com> wrote ...
> > Strictly a rhetorical question, I guess....
> >
> > Maybe I'm in the minority, but I can't help but feel that things should
> > have gotten easier with the evolvement of computers, rather than the
other
> > way around.
> >
> > I'm not new to computers, just new to XP. I mistakenly thought I'd be
able
> > to hook up and go, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Here we have a
> > whole host of newsgroups dealing with every specific issue, and web
sites
> > devoted to fixes, tweaks, upgrades, etc.
> >
> > We have to re-educate ourselves, ask questions and read volumes just to
be
> > able to perform 'simpl' tasks on our computers.

"Lois G." <legalois10pounds@erols.com> wrote in message
> Strictly a rhetorical question, I guess....
>
> Maybe I'm in the minority, but I can't help but feel that things
> should have gotten easier with the evolvement of computers, rather
> than the other way around.

The mantra of a non-user. Computer are not to make your life easier.
They are to maintain or raise your level of frustration - just like
having kids.

> I'm not new to computers, just new to XP. I mistakenly thought I'd be
> able to hook up and go, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Here we
> have a whole host of newsgroups dealing with every specific issue, and
> web sites devoted to fixes, tweaks, upgrades, etc.
>
> We have to re-educate ourselves, ask questions and read volumes just
> to be able to perform 'simpl' tasks on our computers.

always pay someone to do all that tweaking for you if you could
adequately describe just exactly what you wanted in a computer and
operating system. It is a general-purpose computer, not a fixed-feature
dishwasher. Ignorance and laziness, especially when deliberate, always
have their cost.

Yeah! Right!

And I remember when my Grandfather broke off the ignition key in his Rambler
because he didn't read that the car had a PUSH BUTTON transmission and you
had to push one of the buttons to start the engine!

You have to learn and re-educate yourself to the technology!

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

"ggull" <ggullSPAM@NOTrcn.com> wrote in message
> Ah, but that's the difference -- when a new gadget, say a satellite
> tracking
> system, is put in a fancy new car, the steering wheel still turns left and
> right the way it used to, you don't have to relearn how to open and close
> the door, etc. You generally have to only learn to use the ADDED
> capabilities .. even if you have remote entry, you can choose not to use
> it
> and use the key. The problem, as Lois G. points out, is that one has to
> relearn to drive from the very basics with each new updated operating
> system. All of sudden the gear shift has moved behind the driver's seat
> and
> it's a rotary dial instead of a stick, and you have to hold in the
> cigarette
> lighter before it works. The real problem is that this stuff is all
> designed by people whose very lives revolve around computers, and
> specifically Windows, using state of the art hardware, and unlike auto
> manufacturers no one seems to have checked in with ordinary drivers/users
> (as opposed to racing buffs or heads of corporate systems departments).
>
> There is also the problem that it takes education and expertise to do
> simple
> things simply and to stay out of trouble, although things are getting
> somewhat better -- e.g., computers ship with the system settings wide open
> to vulnarabilites, and to make them secure the user has to restrict
> browser
> and email settings (or get other software), install virus and firewall,
> etc.
> Rationally, the DEFAULT would be for secure systems, allowing the user to
> open them up for specific purposes as they gain an idea of what they're
> doing and (hopefully) the dangers involved.
>
> "Richard Urban" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote ..
>> When new gadgets, accessories and luxuries are added to an automobile do
> you
>> not have to re-educate yourself in their correct and proper usage?
>>

>> "Lois G." <legalois10pounds@erols.com> wrote ...
>> > Strictly a rhetorical question, I guess....
>> >
>> > Maybe I'm in the minority, but I can't help but feel that things should
>> > have gotten easier with the evolvement of computers, rather than the
> other
>> > way around.
>> >
>> > I'm not new to computers, just new to XP. I mistakenly thought I'd be
> able
>> > to hook up and go, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Here we have a
>> > whole host of newsgroups dealing with every specific issue, and web
> sites
>> > devoted to fixes, tweaks, upgrades, etc.
>> >
>> > We have to re-educate ourselves, ask questions and read volumes just to
> be
>> > able to perform 'simpl' tasks on our computers.

I get upset that there is no instruction manuel with a computer. Why can't
all of the programs that are running in the background be documented with
clear instructions of what can be removed?

How many programs are only available from the "RUN" command with no
documentation.

"Lois G." wrote:

> Strictly a rhetorical question, I guess....
>
> Maybe I'm in the minority, but I can't help but feel that things should have
> gotten easier with the evolvement of computers, rather than the other way
> around.
>
> I'm not new to computers, just new to XP. I mistakenly thought I'd be able
> to hook up and go, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Here we have a
> whole host of newsgroups dealing with every specific issue, and web sites
> devoted to fixes, tweaks, upgrades, etc.
>
> We have to re-educate ourselves, ask questions and read volumes just to be
> able to perform 'simpl' tasks on our computers.
>
> Lois

Lois;
There are choices.
If you did not find them you did not ask first.
Windows is an OS a great many can choose:
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product_listing.gsp?cat=96356&path=0%3A3944%3A3951%3A41937%3A96356
There are also other options if you look or ask.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

> I have to differ with you here, unless I'm wrong, but when shopping for a
> new computer, I didn't see any choices in operating systems (unless I
> wanted a MAC) other than XP Home or XP Professional.
>
> Lois

Full documentation in print would take far more space than your entire
computer system...even if your tower and monitor were large.
That would add quite a bit of cost to the computer when in the past most
never touched the books since the pile was intimidating..

Or would you rather have all the information online?
Start/Help and Support...most of it is there.
Open almost any program and click Help on the top toolbar...most of what you
need to know about the specific program is there.
Something still missing?
Try Google, newsgroups or any of an almost unlimited sources.

--

"Mickey" <Mickey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I get upset that there is no instruction manuel with a computer. Why can't
> all of the programs that are running in the background be documented with
> clear instructions of what can be removed?
>
> How many programs are only available from the "RUN" command with no
> documentation.

And, your old 1989 vehicle cannot spell check or give you proper grammar
information!

Tom Pepper Willett wrote:

> And, your old 1989 vehicle cannot spell check or give you proper grammar
> information!

I think I do pretty good for a ONE-Handed Person!!

> | Thats why I still Have an OLD 1989 Vehicle.. Those NEW gadgets are
> | un-necessary.. just more money for the manufactures.. no sence of
> | BUYING something That HAS GADGETS that you DONNOT need

vanguard

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2004

"Lois G." <legalois10pounds@erols.com> wrote in message

> I have to differ with you here, unless I'm wrong, but when shopping
> for a new computer, I didn't see any choices in operating systems
> (unless I wanted a MAC) other than XP Home or XP Professional.
>
> Lois

Well, what operating system did you expect to find at a retail store?
The largest selling one or one they couldn't make a dime on? You often
see what you expect to see. Since you were out shopping for Windows
platforms than that is what you saw because you limited where you went
to go see.

What I am asking for is just a list of available programs and what they do.
If you don't even know that a program exists how can you ask for info. For
example how would I know that REGEDIT and MSCONFIG exist if I had not seen it
mentioned in many newsgroups. There are instructions but you must search for
them to find them.

"Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:

> Full documentation in print would take far more space than your entire
> computer system...even if your tower and monitor were large.
> That would add quite a bit of cost to the computer when in the past most
> never touched the books since the pile was intimidating..
>
> Or would you rather have all the information online?
> Start/Help and Support...most of it is there.
> Open almost any program and click Help on the top toolbar...most of what you
> need to know about the specific program is there.
> Something still missing?
> Try Google, newsgroups or any of an almost unlimited sources.
>
> --
> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
>

> "Mickey" <Mickey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I get upset that there is no instruction manuel with a computer. Why can't
> > all of the programs that are running in the background be documented with
> > clear instructions of what can be removed?
> >
> > How many programs are only available from the "RUN" command with no
> > documentation.

This sounds like an early version of the safety provision that the car has
to be in Park or Neutral before the engine will start. That's pretty common
now, but if a note to this effect was simply buried in the fine print of a
1000 shop page manual (not included) for one of the first cars to have that
precaution, then the Rambler folk (Dodge, wasn't it?) were not doing their
job of highlighting major changes for the purchaser. Didn't he get a test
drive before purchase? What about the dealer/seller who failed to mention
this?

If it was not a safety feature to force you to have the car in park/neutral,
i.e. if they simply made you put the ignition key in then press a button to
start rather than turn the key like I presume most cars did at the time, it
was a stupid feature and deserved to follow the passenger pigeon into
oblivion, which it seems to have done.

I and Lois G are not complaining about genuine new technology (e.g. an
interlock to prevent your grandfather starting the Rambler and immediately
running your childhood self over because it was in reverse). We are
complaining about capricious twiddling with the user interfaces for the same
technology, e.g. if the Rambler were done that way just to be cool.

After some years of such capricious twiddling, auto makers have settled down
to doing most major functions in two or three ways (e.g. lights are on a
control onthe steeering column, or, less and less commonly, a pull switch on
the dash) and many in just one. Some rental agencies put a card summarizing
these differences in their cars, and it's not big. I can jump in pretty
much any standard sedan at the rental agency, and in two or three minutes
familiarize myself with the needed controls to get to the hotel at 2 in the
morning.

Of course operating systems are more complex (in terms of user interface)
than automobiles. But this should be an argument against, not an excuse
for, twiddling just 'cause.

> [...]
>> >
>> > There is also the problem that it takes education and expertise to
>> > do
>> > simple
>> > things simply and to stay out of trouble, although things are
>> > getting
>> > somewhat better -- e.g., computers ship with the system settings
>> > wide
> open
>> > to vulnarabilites, and to make them secure the user has to restrict
>> > browser
>> > and email settings (or get other software), install virus and
>> > firewall,
>> > etc.
>> > Rationally, the DEFAULT would be for secure systems, allowing the
>> > user
>> > open them up for specific purposes as they gain an idea of what
>> > they're
>> > doing and (hopefully) the dangers involved.

And over how many years has it taken for the auto makers to "settle
down" into a standard with which you finally trained yourself to be
accustomed? And how long do operating systems, especially "toy" or
end-user oriented operating systems, like Windows, get to "settle down"?
So I take it you'll be complaining to the car makers when they change a
whole bunch of stuff in the new all-electric cars, too, until whatever
period you deem is sufficient for them to "settle down" (but mostly for
you to train).

If anything, computers should be teaching you to adapt. You don't want
to adapt. Adapting takes work and time. Computers are not appliances.
Hardware and software for computers is not like hardware for plumbing
where once you figure out how to cut, clean, and solder or glue (for
plastic) then you have very little to learn thereafter because the
technology doesn't change. Part of the *technology* of computers is
SOFTware.

Also, for end-user oriented operating systems, especially those geared
to *consumers* rather than enthusiasts or administrators willing to
adapt and train, they need some continued marketability and
profitability. Once they become staid, sales drop. Look at VCRs. Once
they peak at what functionality they provided then eventually the market
saturates (since only some of the population is going to get a VCR and
eventually almost all of those have a VCR). So how do they sell more
VCRs when they all must provide the same basic functionality for
compatibility? Add features! An OS, or any product, that doesn't
sustain marketability will die, and then you'll complain that it
disappeared when it became cheap (to get and to learn). Microsoft is
into COMMERCIALware. That's the market type they choose to get involved
in. If you want to get into open-sourced and cheap operating systems
that YOU can tailor the way you want to run (and keep them tailored that
way) then go right ahead. Distributing public or open software is how
THOSE authors choose to distribute their product. However, I really
doubt Linux or other open-source operating systems are really
deliberately stagnating themselves for lazy users.

How long are "personal" operating systems allowed to mature? How long
before they are no longer allowed to adopt from mainframes? How long
before no one wants any new *major* features? How long did it take for
you to grow up until you no longer needed any training (in other
attributes of your life than computers) so you could quiesce into being
lazy, comfortable, stagnant, and happy?

It's impossible to analyze an industry, especially computers, when you
view it through a tiny pinhole in the wall. You see your use of your
computer, not what is happening across the entire industry of computers
(and I only see a tiny part). I've been an alpha test for over a decade
in software and a technician on them for a decade before that. Yeah,
I'm used to change because that is the nature of the computer industry.
It isn't ditch digging whose technology hasn't changed much in
centuries. If you get involved in an industry whose nature is change
and continual evolution then learn to adapt. I'm sure doctors also have
to keep up to date and have to keep learning new stuff and techniques;
otherwise, we'd still be using leeches, hacking off wounded legs, and
seeing Joan Rivers for how she really would look.

There used to be LOTS of backyard mechanics working on their cars to fix
and customize them. That's waned. Why? Because it is a lot harder to
work on engines, pollution systems, and all the subsystems within a car
because they've become a lot more complicated. You used to just need a
timing light, a new set of spark plugs and gap tool, and maybe a new
distributor rotor to time your car. Not anymore. It now takes a lot
more learning to maintain your car yourself, so the folks that chose to
stagnate based on the old technology gave up on maintaining their cars,
and those too lazy or too busy for other life choices relinquish that
chore to someone else. I don't see you announcing your willingness to
let a professional handle your wants for tweaking and maintaining and
repairing your computer, yet you probably take your car to a shop to
replace the oil, set timing, replace the shocks, align the wheels, and
fix the body damage. Your time is too valuable to waste doing that
stuff so you exchange your time (in the form of money) to have someone
else do it and do it right. However, most computer users are peculiar
consumers in believing they have the mental wherewithal to be computer
experts (picture the car mechanic all greased up who strolls into the
surgery room to start replacing a heart just because he knows how to use
a knife). Just because a computer can be put into your hands doesn't
mean it should. I can put a shotgun into the hands of a toddler (which
isn't necessarily measured by age), and the same for a computer. You're
the consumer that wants computers to stabilize so they can be considered
appliances, yet do you actually go repairing your dishwasher, fridge, or
television when it breaks or even modify them to tweak them how you want
them behave on any particular day? If you don't want to learn and
continually train on the use of computers to play your game, just get a
GameBoy with its fixed features and interface. That GameBoy will work
the same way until the day you trash it. There are intelligent
typewriters with limited functionality and fixed interface that will let
you do word processing. There are appliances available if all you want
is a fix feature set and unchanging user interface rather than a
GENERAL-purpose computer.

If you don't want to learn a new OS or a new application then don't get
that new OS or new application. It is likely you don't _need_ the new
stuff but rather you _want_ the new stuff (the same reason most
consumers buy new cars). I still have an old Intel 486 running Windows
95 and some ancient version of WordPerfect on it that I still use. It
doesn't boot quick but that's not a problem because it's left powered on
all the time. The cursor doesn't move any slower when typing in a
document on that old machine compared to my new one and there is little
difference in paging speed for the size documents that I write at home.
There is no real need for the latest hardware and software to perform
the task, but most consumers don't base their purchasing decisions based
on just the requirements of the task.

Burn and learn. Learn or stagnate. Stagnate and die. If tomorrow is
just like today, you're dead. ;-)

"Vanguard" <see_signature> wrote
> I've been an alpha test[er, sic] for over a decade
> in software and a technician on them for a decade before that.

This explains a lot :)

How do you know that a program exists? Suggest you go into Windows
Explorer, sort to alphabetical order and try (double click) each one of the
files described in 'type' as 'application'. Some may not work.

Regards.

Bill Ridgeway