Titan Quest Gold question

Ananan

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007
$10 on STEAM was a good enough price to get me to bite on Titan Quest Gold. I need some mindless clicking.

One question:

Do I ignore Titan Quest and just start my character on Immortal Throne, or is it better to play through the original once and then import my character to the expansion?

SpinachEater

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007
Haha, that is exactly what it is...mindless clicking. I haven't played Immortal Throne but have played TQ.

That is a tough call. If you paid for it then why not play through it? TQ starts off like it has something cool to offer but goes down hill after the first act IMO. You will find yourself getting bored with having a group of enemies surround you in a circle and beat the crap out of you. It is fun to play online though with other players.

P.S. I would go straight for a trainer so you can get rare items all of the time. TQ Vault is pretty handy too. It makes it more fun to be able to collect full armor/weapon sets. Without cheating it is almost impossible to complete a full set / rare weapons.

Ananan

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007
The expansion starts off exactly the same as TQ (I started both).

Just wanted to make sure I'm not missing anything by starting with Immortal Throne.

SnareSpectre

Distinguished
May 2, 2008
You're not missing anything - in fact, you're gaining from it. With IT you get the caravans and the option of wearing an artifact, neither of which you can get just by playing the original TQ. There are also extra weapons and things you can get by playing with IT. I really did love this game, and I only think it's mindless clicking if you choose all passive abilities. It gets really interesting when you have two classes that have separate abilities and you assign them to all your keys and go from there.

I will admit, though, that I got tired of the game recently. I did play it for probably a total of 60 or so hours, but once my storm/rogue got all legendary gear and I would play for 6-7 hours before I'd find a piece that made my dude better, and would only level up every 2 or so hours, then it does get kind of tedious. I did beat the game (with IT) on normal and epic first, and each run-through of all 4 acts, doing every side quest and getting up to nearly 60, does take a HUGE chunk of time, so I'd say I definitely got my $20 worth with the set.

Ananan

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007
Yeah - I'm off on my TQ:IT adventure; played about 3 hours yesterday. I haven't played a Diablo-style game since Diablo 2, so this sort of hack'n'slash thing has regained it's charm for me.

It's exactly what I was looking for. I have to say the graphics are pretty good for a game like this.

I only played about 15 minutes of the original TQ as a contrast, so there's no way I could comment on the differences in the core game from TQ to IT (I'm assuming I wont get to the expansion for a while yet; I'm a slow player who likes to explore every inch of every map and hoard loot). Creatures seem to drop fewer items, the graphics are more refined, and you have the caravan thing.

SnareSpectre

Distinguished
May 2, 2008
Yeah the only difference between the two is just those few things. I'm the same way...I think it took me a little over 30 hours to beat the game on the first skill level, and I enjoyed (almost) every bit of it, because I went and did every single side quest and explored every single part of the map. And yes, I think the graphics are pretty amazing, especially the Great Wall of China part in Act 3.

Definitely a great way to assuage the wait for Diablo 3!

bildo123

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
I know I'm a little late but I too recently got this Gem of a game for the $10 deal (remarkable for what you get.) I too noticed it was very much in the mindless clicking style of D2, that is until you get active skills, then it gets more interesting. For those with IT, how was fighting that Giant Spider that spawned the 'lazor' spiders? I played as a conquer and must say that was a challenging fight, even more so than the damned titan. Some of the bosses however, playing as a conquer, can be beat with ground and pound tactics. But I noticed in IT you should be on your feet more often.

The graphics, sound, and music are really well done. Me, personally, would even go as far to say its better than diablo 2. Cmon! When you however over the top left corner a built in clock appears! Damn that's awesome.

Ananan

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007
I haven't gotten to IT yet; still stuck in Egypt.

I stand by original impression: It's a fun, well-made game. I can max it out graphically with only occasional stutters (from what I've read that's probably mostly code-related, not hardware). I like standing on cliffs and checking out things in the distance.

Playing as a conquerer is pretty easy. I found an awesome mace early on that I've used most of the game; I had to store it until I was the right level but since then it kills most things in a couple of swipes.

Even for the boss monsters all I really have to do is load up on health potions (30 or so); start attacking, and keep my left hand on the 9 key to replenish health. When a boss spawns minions I have to run away sometimes and avoid it's missles while I heal.

But that's ok for me right now. It's pretty much everything I wanted when I ordered it (great for shorter play sessions), and $10 is incredibly cheap for both games. After I finsh the game as melee I'll try as a more "active skill" character type the next time through. I'm curious how tough the harder level will be; considering how slow I am already it might take me 100 hrs to get through lol.

I feel a little guilty - I wish I had paid closer to full price for this to support PC developers; I just don't know if it would have made any difference in Iron Lore's case.

Ananan

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007

bildo123

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
Funny, seems as we are playing in a parallel universe, I was going to roll a more 'active' type of char next as well. I was thinking of Nature/Earth, sounds like a DruidCaster type of deal, pets, spells, all kinds of stuff going on I'm guessing. Also since your in Egypt, did you find the 'hidden' side quest, it grants a boatload EXP considering the relevant level of your character. About where it is, well you must discover.

Also about the difficulty levels, I wonder myself if its going to be like diablo where epic(nightmare) is somewhat challenging and legendary(hell) is somewhat next to impossible. I read from the manual you'll need some good gear for legendary, it even tells you that you can net some legendary gear towards the end of epic mode. But I noticed in IT that the additional zone is actually somewhat more tedious than any of the other previous areas, I noticed in increase in potion uses, more efficient use of skills, etc.

Maybe if you guys aren't too burned out we can start up a group in a couple weeks. My winter vacation starts soon and finals are breathing down my neck so it would be nice to do some relaxing hack n slash with a group.

SpinachEater

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007
Have you looked into TQvault? I played through it once and then went back through with TQvault and a trainer to enable rare items to be dropped. TQvault is nice though since you run out of room in your inventory pretty quick. The combo of the two help you complete armor sets. The alternative is go online and trade but so many people hack the items it is hard to get something legit.

I used to go in an mod items and drop them into the game but it has been so long I forgot how to do it now. I never traded them with people though.

pr2thej

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008
Bildo123, prolly wont get the chance over next 2 days or so but weekend looks good. I got a 27 Elementalist, 21 Conquerer, 18 Brigand and 11 Guardian so take your pick :D
Im not yet looking at mods, want to get a playthrough under my belt first....just entered act 3 with my Elementalist

kylejshea

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
I am a soldier in Iraq and I'm running into some issues I could use some help with on TQ:IM. First off hosting a multiplayer game is not an option due to the way our internet is set up, even when connected to the internet my laptop tells me I have a local connection only so I get a network error when I try to host. Second when I "join multiplayer" I get an pop-up that says socket error, now I can ignore it and still connect to SOME games. But if my buddy back in the states hosts a game I cannot join it I get the same socket error and if I ignore it I get a subsequent network error and it returns me to the main menu. I'm sure others have had this problem before. I'm open to any suggestions, thanks.