User accounts

I have been using the administrative profile and have data in the Money
program and outlook. How do I get this info over to my new user account?
Both are starting completely over. I do not want to start over. The
administrative account seems to have disappeared from the welcome screen.
How do I get that back so I can get my data I need?
7 answers Last reply
More about user accounts

    Hi Ray,

    When you created the new user account the Administrator was hidden.
    This is by design.

    Was the new account set as an administrator? If so the data files can
    be dragged over using Windows Explorer. If not you will have to boot
    to Safe Mode and enter the hidden admin account and move the files
    from there. Or change the new account to admin, boot to it and move
    your data files over.

    If you need help finding the data file let us know what version of
    Money and Outlook you are using.

    --
    Regards,
    Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]

    ray wrote:
    > I have been using the administrative profile and have
    > data in the Money program and outlook. How do I get this
    > info over to my new user account? Both are starting
    > completely over. I do not want to start over. The
    > administrative account seems to have disappeared from the
    > welcome screen. How do I get that back so I can get my
    > data I need?

    I have Money 2004 and Outlook 98 I think. It is an older version. Where are
    the data files and then where do I put them? I have admin rights on the new
    account. Thanks for the help. This is frustrating.

    On 01/01/2005 ray wrote:

    > I have Money 2004 and Outlook 98 I think. It is an older version.
    > Where are the data files and then where do I put them? I have admin
    > rights on the new account. Thanks for the help. This is frustrating.

    In the same way you decide where to keep the scissors and which drawer
    to keep the cutlery in you should decide where to keep your data. It is
    the most important thing on your computer, everything else can be
    recovered from the original CD's but of you lose your money data file
    with five years of data it's gone for good.

    XP defaults to a folder called 'My Documents' which by default will be
    in C:\Documents and Settings\your name. Properly written programs check
    with Windows before saving your data and offer the default option to
    save it in 'My Documents.

    Mixing data and programs is, in my view, a very bad thing, so the first
    thing I do when setting up a PC is to create a folder on my D: drive
    which I call 'Data'. I then right click on 'My Documents' in Explorer
    and change its properties so that it points to D:\Data. That means that
    well written programs will default to saving my data there. Windows
    will offer to move all your existing data to the new folder (a good
    thing).

    Now if I have a problem with my PC and have to re-install Windows I can
    boot to the XP CD, format the 'C:' drive, re-install Windows and know
    that all my data is safe (it is also backed up to three different
    places, something that you should think about as well).

    The one thing you have to watch is Outlook and the Windows Address
    Book, I use neither and I don't know where Windows keeps them by
    default, perhaps somebody else will tell us that.

    You MS Money file has an extension of '.mny' so if you right click on
    the C: drive, select search and then enter *.mny in the search box and
    it will find the file for you. Do think about changing your 'My
    Documents' location though, it is much easier to find stuff under
    'D:\Data'.

    Importing your old stuff into Outlook is certainly possible but I don't
    use it so can't run through that, I'm sure somebody else will chime in
    with a suggestion.

    --
    Jeff Gaines
    Posted with XanaNews 1.17.1.2 http://www.wilson.demon.co.uk/delphi.htm

    Hi Ray,

    Jeff covered moving of the data nicely. Here is some information on
    moving the MS Outlook data.

    You will have to boot into the hidden admin account to find the exact
    version and Outlook mode installed.
    To see what version and mode is installed, choose Help - About in MS
    Outlook.

    These article will step you through the process.
    OL98: (IMO) How to Back Up, Restore, or Move Outlook Data
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;184817

    OL98: (CW) How to Back Up, Restore, or Move Outlook Data
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;181014

    Here a good resource for Microsoft Outlook 98
    http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol98.htm

    --
    Regards,
    Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]

    "ray" wrote
    >I have Money 2004 and Outlook 98 I think. It is an older version.
    >Where are
    > the data files and then where do I put them? I have admin rights on
    > the new
    > account. Thanks for the help. This is frustrating.
    >
    > "Bert Kinney" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi Ray,
    >>
    >> When you created the new user account the Administrator was hidden.
    >> This is by design.
    >>
    >> Was the new account set as an administrator? If so the data files
    >> can
    >> be dragged over using Windows Explorer. If not you will have to
    >> boot
    >> to Safe Mode and enter the hidden admin account and move the files
    >> from there. Or change the new account to admin, boot to it and
    >> move
    >> your data files over.
    >>
    >> If you need help finding the data file let us know what version of
    >> Money and Outlook you are using.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Regards,
    >> Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]
    >> http://dts-l.org/
    >>
    >> ray wrote:
    >> > I have been using the administrative profile and have
    >> > data in the Money program and outlook. How do I get this
    >> > info over to my new user account? Both are starting
    >> > completely over. I do not want to start over. The
    >> > administrative account seems to have disappeared from the
    >> > welcome screen. How do I get that back so I can get my
    >> > data I need?

    Thanks for the help. I retrieved my data and got MS Money up and working.

    "Jeff Gaines" wrote:

    > On 01/01/2005 ray wrote:
    >
    > > I have Money 2004 and Outlook 98 I think. It is an older version.
    > > Where are the data files and then where do I put them? I have admin
    > > rights on the new account. Thanks for the help. This is frustrating.
    >
    > In the same way you decide where to keep the scissors and which drawer
    > to keep the cutlery in you should decide where to keep your data. It is
    > the most important thing on your computer, everything else can be
    > recovered from the original CD's but of you lose your money data file
    > with five years of data it's gone for good.
    >
    > XP defaults to a folder called 'My Documents' which by default will be
    > in C:\Documents and Settings\your name. Properly written programs check
    > with Windows before saving your data and offer the default option to
    > save it in 'My Documents.
    >
    > Mixing data and programs is, in my view, a very bad thing, so the first
    > thing I do when setting up a PC is to create a folder on my D: drive
    > which I call 'Data'. I then right click on 'My Documents' in Explorer
    > and change its properties so that it points to D:\Data. That means that
    > well written programs will default to saving my data there. Windows
    > will offer to move all your existing data to the new folder (a good
    > thing).
    >
    > Now if I have a problem with my PC and have to re-install Windows I can
    > boot to the XP CD, format the 'C:' drive, re-install Windows and know
    > that all my data is safe (it is also backed up to three different
    > places, something that you should think about as well).
    >
    > The one thing you have to watch is Outlook and the Windows Address
    > Book, I use neither and I don't know where Windows keeps them by
    > default, perhaps somebody else will tell us that.
    >
    > You MS Money file has an extension of '.mny' so if you right click on
    > the C: drive, select search and then enter *.mny in the search box and
    > it will find the file for you. Do think about changing your 'My
    > Documents' location though, it is much easier to find stuff under
    > 'D:\Data'.
    >
    > Importing your old stuff into Outlook is certainly possible but I don't
    > use it so can't run through that, I'm sure somebody else will chime in
    > with a suggestion.
    >

    > --
    > Jeff Gaines
    > Posted with XanaNews 1.17.1.2 http://www.wilson.demon.co.uk/delphi.htm

    Thanks for the help. I got everything I needed.

    "Bert Kinney" wrote:

    > Hi Ray,
    >
    > Jeff covered moving of the data nicely. Here is some information on
    > moving the MS Outlook data.
    >
    > You will have to boot into the hidden admin account to find the exact
    > version and Outlook mode installed.
    > To see what version and mode is installed, choose Help - About in MS
    > Outlook.
    >
    > These article will step you through the process.
    > OL98: (IMO) How to Back Up, Restore, or Move Outlook Data
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;184817
    >
    > OL98: (CW) How to Back Up, Restore, or Move Outlook Data
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;181014
    >
    > Here a good resource for Microsoft Outlook 98
    > http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol98.htm
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    > Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]
    > http://dts-l.org/
    >
    > "ray" wrote
    > >I have Money 2004 and Outlook 98 I think. It is an older version.
    > >Where are
    > > the data files and then where do I put them? I have admin rights on
    > > the new
    > > account. Thanks for the help. This is frustrating.
    > >
    > > "Bert Kinney" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hi Ray,
    > >>
    > >> When you created the new user account the Administrator was hidden.
    > >> This is by design.
    > >>
    > >> Was the new account set as an administrator? If so the data files
    > >> can
    > >> be dragged over using Windows Explorer. If not you will have to
    > >> boot
    > >> to Safe Mode and enter the hidden admin account and move the files
    > >> from there. Or change the new account to admin, boot to it and
    > >> move
    > >> your data files over.
    > >>
    > >> If you need help finding the data file let us know what version of
    > >> Money and Outlook you are using.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Regards,
    > >> Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]
    > >> http://dts-l.org/

    Glad to hear that Ray, and thanks for the feedback.

    --
    Regards,
    Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]

Microsoft User Accounts Windows XP