User accounts

January 1, 2005 12:11:03 AM

I have been using the administrative profile and have data in the Money
program and outlook. How do I get this info over to my new user account?
Both are starting completely over. I do not want to start over. The
administrative account seems to have disappeared from the welcome screen.
How do I get that back so I can get my data I need?

More about : user accounts

Anonymous
January 1, 2005 4:11:36 AM

Hi Ray,

When you created the new user account the Administrator was hidden.
This is by design.

Was the new account set as an administrator? If so the data files can
be dragged over using Windows Explorer. If not you will have to boot
to Safe Mode and enter the hidden admin account and move the files
from there. Or change the new account to admin, boot to it and move
your data files over.

If you need help finding the data file let us know what version of
Money and Outlook you are using.

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]

ray wrote:
> I have been using the administrative profile and have
> data in the Money program and outlook. How do I get this
> info over to my new user account? Both are starting
> completely over. I do not want to start over. The
> administrative account seems to have disappeared from the
> welcome screen. How do I get that back so I can get my
> data I need?
January 1, 2005 4:11:37 AM

I have Money 2004 and Outlook 98 I think. It is an older version. Where are
the data files and then where do I put them? I have admin rights on the new
account. Thanks for the help. This is frustrating.

"Bert Kinney" wrote:

> Hi Ray,
>
> When you created the new user account the Administrator was hidden.
> This is by design.
>
> Was the new account set as an administrator? If so the data files can
> be dragged over using Windows Explorer. If not you will have to boot
> to Safe Mode and enter the hidden admin account and move the files
> from there. Or change the new account to admin, boot to it and move
> your data files over.
>
> If you need help finding the data file let us know what version of
> Money and Outlook you are using.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]
> http://dts-l.org/
>
> ray wrote:
> > I have been using the administrative profile and have
> > data in the Money program and outlook. How do I get this
> > info over to my new user account? Both are starting
> > completely over. I do not want to start over. The
> > administrative account seems to have disappeared from the
> > welcome screen. How do I get that back so I can get my
> > data I need?

January 1, 2005 4:49:24 AM

On 01/01/2005 ray wrote:

> I have Money 2004 and Outlook 98 I think. It is an older version.
> Where are the data files and then where do I put them? I have admin
> rights on the new account. Thanks for the help. This is frustrating.

In the same way you decide where to keep the scissors and which drawer
to keep the cutlery in you should decide where to keep your data. It is
the most important thing on your computer, everything else can be
recovered from the original CD's but of you lose your money data file
with five years of data it's gone for good.

XP defaults to a folder called 'My Documents' which by default will be
in C:\Documents and Settings\your name. Properly written programs check
with Windows before saving your data and offer the default option to
save it in 'My Documents.

Mixing data and programs is, in my view, a very bad thing, so the first
thing I do when setting up a PC is to create a folder on my D: drive
which I call 'Data'. I then right click on 'My Documents' in Explorer
and change its properties so that it points to D:\Data. That means that
well written programs will default to saving my data there. Windows
will offer to move all your existing data to the new folder (a good
thing).

Now if I have a problem with my PC and have to re-install Windows I can
boot to the XP CD, format the 'C:' drive, re-install Windows and know
that all my data is safe (it is also backed up to three different
places, something that you should think about as well).

The one thing you have to watch is Outlook and the Windows Address
Book, I use neither and I don't know where Windows keeps them by
default, perhaps somebody else will tell us that.

You MS Money file has an extension of '.mny' so if you right click on
the C: drive, select search and then enter *.mny in the search box and
it will find the file for you. Do think about changing your 'My
Documents' location though, it is much easier to find stuff under
'D:\Data'.

Importing your old stuff into Outlook is certainly possible but I don't
use it so can't run through that, I'm sure somebody else will chime in
with a suggestion.

--
Jeff Gaines
Posted with XanaNews 1.17.1.2 http://www.wilson.demon.co.uk/delphi.htm

Hi Ray,

Jeff covered moving of the data nicely. Here is some information on
moving the MS Outlook data.

You will have to boot into the hidden admin account to find the exact
version and Outlook mode installed.
To see what version and mode is installed, choose Help - About in MS
Outlook.

These article will step you through the process.
OL98: (IMO) How to Back Up, Restore, or Move Outlook Data
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;184817

OL98: (CW) How to Back Up, Restore, or Move Outlook Data
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;181014

Here a good resource for Microsoft Outlook 98
http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol98.htm

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]

"ray" wrote
>I have Money 2004 and Outlook 98 I think. It is an older version.
>Where are
> the data files and then where do I put them? I have admin rights on
> the new
> account. Thanks for the help. This is frustrating.
>
> "Bert Kinney" wrote:
>
>> Hi Ray,
>>
>> When you created the new user account the Administrator was hidden.
>> This is by design.
>>
>> Was the new account set as an administrator? If so the data files
>> can
>> be dragged over using Windows Explorer. If not you will have to
>> boot
>> to Safe Mode and enter the hidden admin account and move the files
>> from there. Or change the new account to admin, boot to it and
>> move
>> your data files over.
>>
>> If you need help finding the data file let us know what version of
>> Money and Outlook you are using.
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]
>> http://dts-l.org/
>>
>> ray wrote:
>> > I have been using the administrative profile and have
>> > data in the Money program and outlook. How do I get this
>> > info over to my new user account? Both are starting
>> > completely over. I do not want to start over. The
>> > administrative account seems to have disappeared from the
>> > welcome screen. How do I get that back so I can get my
>> > data I need?
January 1, 2005 6:03:01 PM

Thanks for the help. I retrieved my data and got MS Money up and working.

"Jeff Gaines" wrote:

> On 01/01/2005 ray wrote:
>
> > I have Money 2004 and Outlook 98 I think. It is an older version.
> > Where are the data files and then where do I put them? I have admin
> > rights on the new account. Thanks for the help. This is frustrating.
>
> In the same way you decide where to keep the scissors and which drawer
> to keep the cutlery in you should decide where to keep your data. It is
> the most important thing on your computer, everything else can be
> recovered from the original CD's but of you lose your money data file
> with five years of data it's gone for good.
>
> XP defaults to a folder called 'My Documents' which by default will be
> in C:\Documents and Settings\your name. Properly written programs check
> with Windows before saving your data and offer the default option to
> save it in 'My Documents.
>
> Mixing data and programs is, in my view, a very bad thing, so the first
> thing I do when setting up a PC is to create a folder on my D: drive
> which I call 'Data'. I then right click on 'My Documents' in Explorer
> and change its properties so that it points to D:\Data. That means that
> well written programs will default to saving my data there. Windows
> will offer to move all your existing data to the new folder (a good
> thing).
>
> Now if I have a problem with my PC and have to re-install Windows I can
> boot to the XP CD, format the 'C:' drive, re-install Windows and know
> that all my data is safe (it is also backed up to three different
> places, something that you should think about as well).
>
> The one thing you have to watch is Outlook and the Windows Address
> Book, I use neither and I don't know where Windows keeps them by
> default, perhaps somebody else will tell us that.
>
> You MS Money file has an extension of '.mny' so if you right click on
> the C: drive, select search and then enter *.mny in the search box and
> it will find the file for you. Do think about changing your 'My
> Documents' location though, it is much easier to find stuff under
> 'D:\Data'.
>
> Importing your old stuff into Outlook is certainly possible but I don't
> use it so can't run through that, I'm sure somebody else will chime in
> with a suggestion.
>

> --
> Jeff Gaines
> Posted with XanaNews 1.17.1.2 http://www.wilson.demon.co.uk/delphi.htm

January 1, 2005 6:05:02 PM

Thanks for the help. I got everything I needed.

"Bert Kinney" wrote:

> Hi Ray,
>
> Jeff covered moving of the data nicely. Here is some information on
> moving the MS Outlook data.
>
> You will have to boot into the hidden admin account to find the exact
> version and Outlook mode installed.
> To see what version and mode is installed, choose Help - About in MS
> Outlook.
>
> These article will step you through the process.
> OL98: (IMO) How to Back Up, Restore, or Move Outlook Data
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;184817
>
> OL98: (CW) How to Back Up, Restore, or Move Outlook Data
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;181014
>
> Here a good resource for Microsoft Outlook 98
> http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol98.htm
>
> --
> Regards,
> Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]
> http://dts-l.org/
>
> "ray" wrote
> >I have Money 2004 and Outlook 98 I think. It is an older version.
> >Where are
> > the data files and then where do I put them? I have admin rights on
> > the new
> > account. Thanks for the help. This is frustrating.
> >
> > "Bert Kinney" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Ray,
> >>
> >> When you created the new user account the Administrator was hidden.
> >> This is by design.
> >>
> >> Was the new account set as an administrator? If so the data files
> >> can
> >> be dragged over using Windows Explorer. If not you will have to
> >> boot
> >> to Safe Mode and enter the hidden admin account and move the files
> >> from there. Or change the new account to admin, boot to it and
> >> move
> >> your data files over.
> >>
> >> If you need help finding the data file let us know what version of
> >> Money and Outlook you are using.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Regards,
> >> Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]
> >> http://dts-l.org/

Anonymous
January 2, 2005 3:36:27 PM

Glad to hear that Ray, and thanks for the feedback.

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]

!