Command & Conquer Generals rejuvenated again, or not?!

Fulcrum888

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2008
Hey guys,

I recently started to dig out all of my old games, which under some work fine (MOHAA, SoFII, etc..). But, just that game that I like(d) the most won't run as it should run.

From the moment I've upped from a nVidia GeForce 6200 by XFX, to an ATI Radeon HD X1950 by Sapphire it runs like cr*p. There are more times that the game is horribly unstable than it's stable and fine. Together with the GPU improve, I've upped my old AMD Athlon XP + 2200 (~1,8 Ghz) to an AMD Athlon 64 X2 + 5000 (~2,6 Ghz). I've read on several forums that the game has serious problems in allocating multiple processor cores.

However, setting 'affinity' at the task manager menu didn't help, I did uncovered something strange. Whenever I start a 'Skirmish' game, I can set the games speed (unit movement, building and charge-up time, etc..). Default, this is set to the value of '30", but when I load the game and set Xfire to measure it; I keep getting 30 FPS, it's capped.

When I set my gamespeed to a value of '75' (this isn't fun because of a Fast-Forward-like playing style), my FPS are capped at 75, thus a smooth gameplay but a horrible gameplay.

This also appears @ Lord of The Rings - Battle for Middle Earth (II). As for the menu and game style, I can say that they are definitely built on the same engine, not?

Are there any ways to get rid of this annoying lag, if yes; how and why?

Thanks in advance.

P.S.: My system specs are below. (Note: I've recently upp'd my GPU again)

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 +5000 (~2,6Ghz)
MB: Asus M2N-MX SE (AM2)
RAM: 2GB Corsair 555Mhz DDR2 memory
GPU: ATI Radeon HD 3870 512MB GDDR4 (The box is of Sapphire but my Bios tells that the card is BBA (Built by ATI))
PSU: Antec (I don't know the naming) 500watts

papalarge123

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2008
it sounds like u have either a driver conflict between the Nvidia drivers and the ATI drivers (u may not have uninstalled the drivers fully), one other thing, did u re-install windows after upgrading, if not this could be the issue.

i know for sure that if upgraded properly, the x1950gt from saphire (which is the slower of the 1950 series) runs very well in those games and more recent ones (as i upgraded from the saphire 1950gt to a 4850).

my personal oppinion would be to re-install windows with the latest graphics drivers.

that should resolve ur issues.

Fulcrum888

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2008

I even had to reinstall my Xp like 3 times. Where 2 of those were with the 3870 already. I've moved to the most recent Catalyst, every time but I didn't have success. Maybe I'd try it now. =D

spanner_razor

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2006
I upped from a 7600 gt to the 1950 pro and the speed increase was definitely there, are the drivers installed right as you have to install the ATI ones in a specific order to avoid the ccc crashing. Only issue I ever had with the 1950 was that it ran way hot, don't let the fan get obstructed as it will throttle down like crazy.

Fulcrum888

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2008

Well, I got an entirely new comp when I still had the 950, I've installed the game and it didn't went well from that moment on. Since I had the 3870, nothing changed. Like I said, I had to install WinXP 3 times already, 2 of them where my 3870 was already plugged in the PC. When installed, I installed the most recent Catalyst that was available on the ATI-AMD site.

Does anyone have more tips on how to get rid of this stuttering/lag, I'm not seeking for personal experiences etc, but a solution. :??: