360 or Wii?

Jurosem

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2007
I'm sure similar threads have been made, but I want to ask what would be best for my specific needs. I already have a pretty decent PC, and I intend for that to remain my main gaming beast for the foreseeable future. What we want is a console for some extra fun, something to supplement the PC. My favourite games are RPGs and the more serious and hardcore strategy games for which the PC is best, like Oblivion, BG series, Fallout series, NWN, Guild Wars, Bioshock, GTA series, Supreme Commander, KOTOR series, Counter Strike, Assassin's Creed. I list these games so you know what I like but also what I already have access to and so don't need on a console. But what I want from a console is something for more fun, simple games. The sort of games that are better with a gamepad than a keyboard or mouse.
So ordinarily if I were to buy a console I would go with the XBox, as it has the most games I want, but of course the bulk of the games I really want on XBox I can already get for the PC. The playstation is kind of out because it's so much more expensive than the other two (and I'm in Europe, so please don't bother quoting me special deals that can be had in the US). Normally I wouldn't really consider a Nintendo as I've always considered those to be for kids, but in this case it may actually provide what I'm looking for. The other big consideration is that this is for me to play with with my girlfriend, so good multiplayer is very important. We have played the Wii a little (Wii sports, and some Mario party game) and it was fun, but did get kind of old.
The kind of games that appeal are action/adventure type games with good multiplayer, that are simple and fun and yet don't get old too fast, and have decent gameplay and preferrably let you explore a little. The Ratchet & Clank and Jak & Daxter series always looked pretty cool, and I think are the sort of thing I'm looking for, though I've never played any of them. Mario 64 we both liked alot, a more adult version of that would be cool.
So, I'm basically asking is the Nintendo going to be too childish, or is the Xbox not going to be childish enough, and possibly a waste of time for someone who already has a gaming PC?

Please be detailed in your responses, and don't bother with any "XBox rules, Wii sucks!" type comments.

Thankyou :)

Hellboy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007

Lurker87

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2008
Personally, I spend most of my gaming time on my 360, since I love its online capabilities, as well as its great game library. I almost never play my Wii unless I have a friend or two over who request to play some Brawl. There's really just nothing on the Wii that I enjoy. Also, the Wii is such an eye sore on my HDTV.

The abundant amount of arcade games on the 360 could easily allow for some fun times with your girl, many of which are the best of old school. Because of the 360's huge library, pretty much every genre is represented on it. It really would make sense to get something like the Wii if you already have a capable PC, since a good bit of your solo hardcore gaming needs can easily be satisfied on your comp, but it really comes down to what games would you predict you'd buy?

The only games I play on Wii are DBZ:BT2 and SSBB. Perhaps you could throw in something like Mario Kart, but so many more games are available on the 360. If you were prioritizing multiplayer that doesn't split screen, I may go with the Wii, but I really just don't enjoy it enough.

Sorry if I was not that much help, and probably only succeeded in further confusing you. Anyways, I hope you make the choice that fits you best.

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
Out of the 3 consoles, the Wii is the one I would be the least likely to recommend. I personally would take the PS3 over the 360, but I already own all three and use both the 360 and PS3 regularly.