Help centre stopped working!

I've just got a new laptop with XP Home on it.

Help and Support centre was fine but has now stopped opening.

I've loaded Irfanview and Microsoft works from my old computer - that's
about it!

Any ideas what's happened.

I've found helpcntr.exe using search - is that the program that's run when
you choose help centre - if it is then clicking on the actual program doesn't
work either!

TIA

Tony
5 answers Last reply
More about help centre stopped working

    Hi

    Please try the following link to Kelly's web site:

    "Why doesn't Help and Support work?"

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    Please reply to the News Groups

    "Telmore" <Telmore@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I've just got a new laptop with XP Home on it.
    >
    > Help and Support centre was fine but has now stopped opening.
    >
    > I've loaded Irfanview and Microsoft works from my old computer - that's
    > about it!
    >
    > Any ideas what's happened.
    >
    > I've found helpcntr.exe using search - is that the program that's run when
    > you choose help centre - if it is then clicking on the actual program
    > doesn't
    > work either!
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Tony

    Thanks for that Will!

    I have no data on this laptop yet - how about just using the system restore
    pack to restore the entire op system?

    Tony

    Hi Tony

    System Restore doesn't monitor data files, so an SR back to a point before
    the problem started may cure it.

    --

    > Thanks for that Will!
    >
    > I have no data on this laptop yet - how about just using the system
    > restore
    > pack to restore the entire op system?
    >
    > Tony

    Thanks for the hlep Will!

    I've done a system restory and all is ok!

    I've even reinstalled Word and Works without it clobbering the Help Centre
    this time!

    Tony

    Glad you're up & running again Tony.

    --

    > Thanks for the hlep Will!
    >
    > I've done a system restory and all is ok!
    >
    > I've even reinstalled Word and Works without it clobbering the Help Centre
    > this time!
    >
    > Tony

Laptops Microsoft Windows XP