  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
a b D Laptop
January 1, 2005 10:59:03 AM

I've just got a new laptop with XP Home on it.

Help and Support centre was fine but has now stopped opening.

I've loaded Irfanview and Microsoft works from my old computer - that's
about it!

Any ideas what's happened.

I've found helpcntr.exe using search - is that the program that's run when
you choose help centre - if it is then clicking on the actual program doesn't
work either!

TIA

Tony

More about : centre stopped working

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 1, 2005 7:03:08 PM

Hi

Please try the following link to Kelly's web site:

"Why doesn't Help and Support work?"

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
Please reply to the News Groups

"Telmore" <Telmore@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've just got a new laptop with XP Home on it.
>
> Help and Support centre was fine but has now stopped opening.
>
> I've loaded Irfanview and Microsoft works from my old computer - that's
> about it!
>
> Any ideas what's happened.
>
> I've found helpcntr.exe using search - is that the program that's run when
> you choose help centre - if it is then clicking on the actual program
> doesn't
> work either!
>
> TIA
>
> Tony
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 2, 2005 5:59:04 AM

Thanks for that Will!

I have no data on this laptop yet - how about just using the system restore
pack to restore the entire op system?

Tony
a b D Laptop
January 2, 2005 2:17:22 PM

Hi Tony

System Restore doesn't monitor data files, so an SR back to a point before
the problem started may cure it.

--

> Thanks for that Will!
>
> I have no data on this laptop yet - how about just using the system
> restore
> pack to restore the entire op system?
>
> Tony
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 4, 2005 4:59:03 AM

Thanks for the hlep Will!

I've done a system restory and all is ok!

I've even reinstalled Word and Works without it clobbering the Help Centre
this time!

Tony
Anonymous
a b D Laptop