Resolution problem?

FwoGiZ

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2008
Ok here's my rig
on Vista64, e8400, x38 p5e, 2x2gb ram, gf7600gt, samsung 226bw 22in

im currently able to play hellgate london, farcry2, fallout3, spore, starcraft, steam's games, devil may cry4, fable lost chapters

i cant play crysis, legendary, dead space, call of duty 5 and its alll because of the same problem, problem that i also had with World of Goo, but that i was able to fix by changing the resolution!!!

here's the problem; when i start a game, the resolution change and then my screen becomes black and white, and its kindo fading... i think this is because the games are running in a non supported resolution
what i did with World of Goo, is locate the ini or wutever the file was, and i changed to resolution manually, i tried a few, until it worked
the problem with the games i stated above, is that i CANT find the file that contains the resolution :( is there something i can do other than changing all the resolutions? if not, anyone know how to manually change a few of those resolutions?

Tx in advance!

FwoGiZ

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2008
dont tell me none of you guys know how to fix this?? anyone know a better forum for pc games help related?

mi1ez

Splendid
What resolutions does your monitor support?

What does windows run in?

can you hook it up to a friends different res monitor and set the resolution then use it on yours?

mike99

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
what monitor do you have? In Display Properties - Advanced - Monitor Tab, does it list your monitor, or just 'Plug & Play? If the latter, locate the inf file for your model of monitor (from manufacturer) and install it, then Windows will not try and run unsupported modes.

Mike.

dtq

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2006

I think I remember trying out crysis on a 6600gt, it ran, just about at minimum settings from what I recall. Probably about as badly as it ran on my old 8800gtx when I cranked the resolution up to 2048x1536 with everything on very high and 2xaa :D Id hazard a guess that with a bit of meddling with settings you could probably make crysis very playable on a 7600.

FwoGiZ

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2008
my monitor is a samsung 226bw 22in 1680 1050 native so windows is running native too... but i know games aint!
i guess i could try one of my other monitors but im pretty sure of the problem! just need to fix it!
i do have the monitor listed, not plug n play
i downloaded the driver, still doesnt work
i currently have a 7800gt but im waiting for my HD 4850 to get here!!
but the problem aint the card..
im pretty sure the game are starting in an unsupported res and i just need to make em start in another res, but how??!

tx for the comments!!

dtq

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2006
when you installed the game originally were you running a different monitor to the one you are using now? Unfortunately Im not at my gaming computer at the moment to look up where various files are stored. Its worth looking not only in the program files \ game directory but also under my documents \ my games \ game directory as well!

mike99

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Do you have latest Nvidia driver? Are you using the games own configuration settings for display resolution, AA and display settings? If you have old display driver it may not support widescreen corectly.

Mike.

FwoGiZ

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2008
same monitor as when i installed the games
tx dtq, i found a few more ini that contains res setting (crysis, legendary) now i need to find a res that is both supported by the game and my monitor, and change it... im beginning to think that my monitor is pretty lame if no game can run in 1680 1050....
yes i do have the latest driver, and im not sure what you mean by the own configuration... I never ever saw anything, clicked anything in the game cause I can't see anything (only screen fading from white to black, black to white, slowly) but i can here the sound, i know the game is running properly, just i don't see anything

didnt work yet, but i ll try ti play with res a bit more, and i should eventually make it work.. i hope

tx for the help guys

dtq

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2006
The vast majority of games will run fine at 1680x1050, I think the only games Ive had issues with at that resolution are the orginial dawn of war and jedi acadamy both old games now...

Ive ran crysis at 1680x1050 no problems at all.

Somethings wrong there...