PQI Releases Zippy Fast 2.5 inch USB 3.0 HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
If only we were all using USB 3.0 and could actually make use of it's speed potential. Though, I'd be happy to actually get all of 2.0's potential speed from my external storage devices.

G

Exactly, this is just the way technology fools people. I know when eSATA came out, people talked about being able to use the full bandwidth, while drives were not even saturating the USB2 bandwidth. same goes with Express card slot. Its not bad to have these technology enhancements, but whats the use of having 16 lane super highway with slow cars..

From reading the article it seem as though it seems the idea is to be able to transport and transfer large quantities of data. I didn't get the impression that it was meant to be used like a permanent hard drive.

ivan_chess

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
Unless that thing either RAIDs several disks together or is using SSD then the USB 3.0 is not being fully utilized.

insaneclowngod

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
[citation][nom]jonyah[/nom]First? What about the seagate? It's been out for a while now. Maybe this will help:Info:http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/p [...] _110_usb3/Or you can actually buy one from here:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] -_-Product[/citation]

and now to quote the quote

"...domestic and international buyers, making it the first USB 3.0 device with significant sales volume,"

milktea

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
BW is not fully utilized, but still it should be much faster than 25MB/s that I'm getting now with USB2 ext HDDs. I'd be happy if USB3 ext HDDs can reach 50MB/s sustaining. Speed matching close to the current eSATA.

jakesbuddy

Distinguished
May 18, 2009
I bought a 1TB USB 3.0 Western Digital external hard drive that came with an expansion card and I get read speeds over 100MB/s. While it doesn't come close to saturating the bandwidth, it has switched the bottleneck from the usb port to the hard drive. It is just as fast as transferring files between my internal sata hard drives, and it saves me loads of time.

jonyah

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
haha, insaneclowngod, please read the full sentence. Those aren't sales, they're sales inquires. The seagate has been on the market for some time with real volume sales.

techcurious

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
insaneclowngod ... JONYAH was absolutely right with his/her first post..
what you have quoted, is PQI's claim that it is the first USB 3.0 device with "significant sales volumes". Fine.. so they claim and we do not have the numbers to dispute that.
However, the very FIRST LINE of this article claims in Bold Letters
"It's the world's first 2.5-inch portable drive using USB 3.0."
... and that would be Kevin Parrish's bad... his statement is clearly false. The Seagate drive has been on the market for a while now..

Status
Not open for further replies.