Sign in with
Your question

FARCRY 2

Last response: in Video Games
December 1, 2008 2:33:50 AM

FARCRY 2

What a complete pile of fresh steaming water buffalo dung!

After all this freakin time since the first FarCry what a load of crap and total waste of time and money!, this game is, a Total disappointment!

Don't waste your money on it.

Being sent all over from one side of the map to the other on stupid missions collecting diamonds for seemingly needed weapons that jam on a regular basis even with the upgrades to the weapons, that sucks!

Especially when all 3 weapons jam in a firefight at the same time!

You can collect an arsenal of useless weapons because you can only carry 3, and stash 3 so an arsenal of weapons is actually useless, and anyway 3 particular weapons is all you really need to complete the game period!

The original FarCry was a great FPS, played it through many times and thoroughly enjoyed it and never regreted buying it, FARCRY 2 is like watching a humdrum B movie, that you keep watching hoping it will get better and never does!

No night vision, not even a flashlight!

Have to hold down the right mouse button to zoom!

Sick from the gitgo with malaria that you have to take pills for all the way through the game!

Of all the first person shooters I've played, this is the top of the worst of the worst list! Ryan

More about : farcry

December 1, 2008 11:21:12 AM

- you can only carry 4 weapons in the original far cry and there were only a total of maybe 10 in the game.
-Buy weapons and replace them every now and then instead of picking them up from NPCs...there are weapon storage/shops everywhere. That will help with your jamming complaint.
-no need for a flashlight or nightvision... the beautiful moon lights things up nicely at night.
-Yeah the Malaria sucks but it's easy to keep under control.

The game can be difficult but the longer you play it the better it gets in my opinion. I like it, it's different and it takes longer then 10 hours to beat which is rare these days. The graphics and sound are great and the engine runs smooth. I liked the original far cry, this deserves a little more credit. It is 10 times better then the far cry games the consoles have seen. God those games sucked.
December 1, 2008 11:45:58 AM

By looking at any gaming forum i'm guessing FC2 is one of those games you either love or hate, though i think anyone that think it's good should have his testicles removed but that's just me.
Related resources
December 1, 2008 12:29:29 PM

BlakHart said:
- you can only carry 4 weapons in the original far cry and there were only a total of maybe 10 in the game.
-Buy weapons and replace them every now and then instead of picking them up from NPCs...there are weapon storage/shops everywhere. That will help with your jamming complaint.
-no need for a flashlight or nightvision... the beautiful moon lights things up nicely at night.
-Yeah the Malaria sucks but it's easy to keep under control.

The game can be difficult but the longer you play it the better it gets in my opinion. I like it, it's different and it takes longer then 10 hours to beat which is rare these days. The graphics and sound are great and the engine runs smooth. I liked the original far cry, this deserves a little more credit. It is 10 times better then the far cry games the consoles have seen. God those games sucked.

Quote:
you can only carry 4 weapons in the original far cry and there were only a total of maybe 10 in the game.

True and the weapons worked, never jammed, never blew up in your face.
If FARCRY 2 needed weapon degradation it should also have included weapon maintenance time, you were allowed sleep time, why not dedicated maintenance to ensure good operation of the weapon.
In reality I was a Gunnersmate in the USN, my job included maintenance of all the ships small arms, our guns were dependable, they did not jam they were kept in excellent condition, but time had to be allowed for that.
So the game should allow for that, it allowed repairing cars, boats, and such, but not the weapons.
Of course the Gold AK47 never jammed, but you didn't even have to pay for that.

Quote:

DUH!!!
The game sucks dude, theres no logical sense in playing it again!

Quote:

ROFLMAO :lol:  Not if you're in a mountain valley, or deep in the woods, you have actually played the game RIGHT?

Quote:
The game can be difficult but the longer you play it the better it gets in my opinion. I like it, it's different and it takes longer then 10 hours to beat which is rare these days.

You did notice almost every misson was on the far side of the map causing you sometimes to travel back over some of the same terrain, or take different routes to explore new terrain, and that took time, Hey man I just realized they named the game wrong!!!
They should have named it Far Side and left FarCry out of it altogether. :lol: 
FarCry itself was one huge map that you progressed through and one of the things I most liked about FarCry was the ability to take different routes to accomplish the same goal, but the initial map plan had a beginning and end to each section, do you not remember how huge the original FarCry map was?

Quote:
The graphics and sound are great and the engine runs smooth.

Thats True!

Quote:
I liked the original far cry, this deserves a little more credit. It is 10 times better then the far cry games the consoles have seen. God those games sucked

I liked the original FarCry also, but they had more than enough time to release a superb FPS in FARCRY 2, but they blew it IMO, but if you like the game then KUDOs to you man!
Can't comment on the console releases of FarCry, never played them.

I'm peeved at the game, not you, so, no offence to you is actually intended OK.

December 1, 2008 1:11:20 PM

No offence taken we simply just have a difference of opinion.

I have mixed feelings about the weapon jamming. I think it's cool that it introduces that concept in a game. Now that I think about it, weapons do degrade a little to fast in FC2. I do like the idea of taking time to maintain them in game like vehicles etc. but some guns are different.

For example I am a gun owner, I have a 4 pistols, a shotgun, and a assault rifle. I shoot at the range often and clean/maintain my guns after every use. Every now and then every one of my guns has jammed on me at some point. My Desert Eagle does more often then the others and I think largely because of how I'm holding the gun. I am nervous when I shoot that gun and I don't firmly hold it the same as I do the others. I say it happens once every 3 clips I go through. Maybe they considered that for some strange reason? who knows? Also guns in Africa I don't imagine are to well maintained. some guns purchased brand new look scratched and worn from the start like the uzi for example.

As far as the lighing goes I didn't really notice a problem at night in the woods or in mountain valleys and yes I do have 30 hours or so in the game already so I have played and enjoyed it lol. I usually dont have a problem with npc's in those areas though so when i travel through them at night I'm usually in a vehicle with headlights.

and yes I did notice they usually make you travel to the other side of the world for a mission but that doesnt bother me, I actually like it. I can take a boat there to avoid enemies or drive or walk if I have time to kill. It is not linear in any way shape or form and that's what I like the most. It's a nice change in my opinion.

I don't believe FC2 is perfect by any means trust me, I hate how NPC's kamikaze my ass in there vehicles... that is stupid and unrealistic. I do not like only being able to carry 4 weapons... You can carry a forth (flamethrower only I believe) and I do not like how easy it is to be spotted during the day without the camo suit. but I think it is worth $50 for any hardcore FPS fan like myself.

Of course that's just my opinion.
December 1, 2008 1:13:28 PM

a big map is good to explore but when you are constantly sent back and forth across the map, it gets annoying

would you play oblivion or fallout 3 if they constnatly sent you across the map

at least those games allow you to teleport instantly to places you have been to before

and when the enemies constantly respawn, it is like playing the same mission over and over

the weapons also suck because the player keeps throwig them away in the middle of a fight

who throws away a gun in the middle of a fire fight

at least club them with the rifle when it wont shoot

the game gets repettive and bland very fast

most of the missions are similar and most of the game play time is spent traveling and fighting the same exact enemies and theres nothing really worth exploring in the game

in games like fallout 3, the map is worth exploring, there many small villages and towns that have fun side quest and the scerery you get when exploring is great

far cry 2 has a very simple map design and it is repettive

it doesn't matter how big the map is, if there is not enough meaningful content to fill it

if you want a larger map than far cry 2 then get star wars jedi academy there many custom maps that are much larger than that of far cry 2, but they also happen to be bland like a desert that just goes on and on

thats what far cry 2 did

at least in far cry 1, the levels for the most part looked different

when a game has a big map, I want it to be big for a reason other than making it so you have to spend most of your time traveling to a mission location

all far cry 2 offers is miles and miles of distance between mission locations, with just similar looking enemy outposts all along your rout

December 1, 2008 3:52:40 PM

@razor512

Totally Agree
December 1, 2008 4:25:48 PM

BlakHart said:

For example I am a gun owner, I have a 4 pistols, a shotgun, and a assault rifle. I shoot at the range often and clean/maintain my guns after every use. Every now and then every one of my guns has jammed on me at some point. My Desert Eagle does more often then the others and I think largely because of how I'm holding the gun. I am nervous when I shoot that gun and I don't firmly hold it the same as I do the others. I say it happens once every 3 clips I go through.

yes I do have 30 hours or so in the game already so I have played and enjoyed it lol.

Also a gun owner but I chose the Baby Desert Eagle 45ACP, feels better in my hands and so far its never jammed, of course my 9mm Beretta never jammed either.

Heres a couple of tips for the Eagle, when you load your magazines and you're finished loading the bullets, tap the magazine on its back side on a piece of cloth cushion on a flat surface so all the bullets are tight to the back of the magazine.

Also rub your finger at the barrel entrance where the point of the bullet strikes before entering the barrel when the slide goes forward, if its rough at all, take some emery cloth and smooth it using your finger with the emery cloth wrapped around it, until its smooth as glass, use emery cloth not sandpaper, and when you get it smooth clean and oil her up.

As far as the game is concerned you haven't gotten to the wonderful ending yet, when you get there, please update your feelings about the game then.
December 1, 2008 5:44:31 PM

I agree. It feels like the skeleton to a good game...it is missing the fleshy goodness though. It has a huge map and I like the layout but the missions are all the same. Go to ____ and blow up the ___. Or, Go to ____ and kill ____. I am baffled at the simplicity and repetition. There could have been much much more to do other than run out and do something and then come back for another mission.

I can only play it for so long. Very anti-climactic and repetitive.

My other complaint is the predictable AI. The re-spawning is ok since it is sort of realistic that they would set up camp again but when they jump in a truck and drive directly into you EVERY SINGLE TIME... BAAA. The driver jumps out to shoot you no matter what. You can train your gun on the door and they always step out to take on in the head. If you shoot the driver while they are charging in, the gunner takes the wheel and drives at you again.

I do like it when they say "Oh $hit we got the new guy" That cracks me up every time.
December 1, 2008 6:31:34 PM

Yeah you sure don't want to be in the open when you hear a vehicle coming, those vehicles were always a pain, that automatic grenade launcher made the revenge against them sweet!

Towards the end I'd take a machine gun shot at them from a distance, just to get them to turn around and switch to the grenade launcher. They always turned around! [Smile]

My favorite weapons, [when they worked that is], were the advanced sniper rifle, and the auto grenade launcher, only problem was you couldn't carry those at the same time.

It would have been nice if the weapons weren't categorized, and you could have chosen exactly the ones you wanted to carry, instead of one from each category, that also sucked!
Anonymous
December 2, 2008 1:07:55 AM

I think the game was ALMOST amazing

it was just short

Weapon damage was f*cked big time...

Too much driving around and people coming out of the middle of no where...

also round about weapon convoys... they're driving in a circle non-stop wtf?

malaria is retarded in this game... its just a pointless side mission

everything is destructable (spelling?) isn't there at ALL

its africa... where are the lions and crocs?

not enough scripted events

hardly any story

retarded AI always know where you are and you can hardly ever choose how you want to approach a mission... as you go in stealthy... some random guy 500 yards away sees you and then its fight 60 guys with 180 bullets... except it takes an entire clip to take out one guy... totally not cool

ending... pretty lame... actually... really really lame... i ran through it in about 5 minutes with the nade launcher... wtf kinda ending is that?

also shotgun is completely pointless

If you actually examine the above list... it looks like the game is SH*T!!! but its just short of something... if they included even a couple of those it would be so awesome...

PS. Why would you need a flashlight at night? Thats what the fire system is for :na: 
December 2, 2008 8:11:13 AM

4Ryan6 said:
FARCRY 2

What a complete pile of fresh steaming water buffalo dung!

After all this freakin time since the first FarCry what a load of crap and total waste of time and money!, this game is, a Total disappointment!

Don't waste your money on it.

Being sent all over from one side of the map to the other on stupid missions collecting diamonds for seemingly needed weapons that jam on a regular basis even with the upgrades to the weapons, that sucks!

Especially when all 3 weapons jam in a firefight at the same time!

You can collect an arsenal of useless weapons because you can only carry 3, and stash 3 so an arsenal of weapons is actually useless, and anyway 3 particular weapons is all you really need to complete the game period!

The original FarCry was a great FPS, played it through many times and thoroughly enjoyed it and never regreted buying it, FARCRY 2 is like watching a humdrum B movie, that you keep watching hoping it will get better and never does!

No night vision, not even a flashlight!

Have to hold down the right mouse button to zoom!

Sick from the gitgo with malaria that you have to take pills for all the way through the game!

Of all the first person shooters I've played, this is the top of the worst of the worst list! Ryan

This would not have been a waste of time and money had you read the reviews first, they tell you about the repetitive missions, gun jamming and super long travel time to each mission. For those that have read the reviews, you can avoid wasting time and money and decide if the short comings are enough to really bother you. If you have been PC gaming or console gaming for a few years you should know by now not to put a lot of stock into the hype no matter who is developing the game!
December 2, 2008 10:16:35 AM

systemlord said:
This would not have been a waste of time and money had you read the reviews first, they tell you about the repetitive missions, gun jamming and super long travel time to each mission. For those that have read the reviews, you can avoid wasting time and money and decide if the short comings are enough to really bother you. If you have been PC gaming or console gaming for a few years you should know by now not to put a lot of stock into the hype no matter who is developing the game!

Yeah Thats true!

However since FPS PC games are so few and far between, I'd of played it anyway!

And there will be people playing it for Christmas no matter whats said here in this thread.

Thanks for your logical input.
December 2, 2008 10:20:15 AM

@ thogrom

Quote:

They were turned into coats and shoes before the diamonds were discovered. [Ouch]
I kept expecting an animal attack of some kind?

Also It would have been a nice plus if you could have sniped from a prone position, highest weapon stability, lowest possible return fire target profile.

Its almost like the game was designed by people that don't play games with so many missing elements, they must have hired auto parts salesmen! [Sick Humor, No Offence Auto Parts Salesmen of the world.]
December 2, 2008 11:12:10 PM

Far cry 2 isn't your typical fps.

It is a lot more slow-paced.

After playing it for a long time (20 hours or more) and re-reading the developer blogs and watching the preview trailers and tech demos again- you come to realize that the game became what it was meant to be.

Some things are missing- such as fully destructable trees and regrowing trees and full destructable buildings... however- almost everything in the game was done well.

The checkpoints may be annoying- I find them annoying- not frustrating though. Just play at a slower pace, and dart snipe them all..... either that or rush in there with a flame thrower or grenade launcher.

FC2 needs a prettier water shader I must admit though.

The water in the original far cry looked much better..... the water in FC2 looks almost like Half-life 2 water..... not good.
December 3, 2008 4:49:40 PM

I never had weapon jam problems, I always got new weapons very mission, or when I passed an armory I would get new weapons, or you could just get the golden AK.

The respawning of the guard posts was what killed it for me. I would knock out a guard post, storm a base and on my way out of the base have to kill the guards again WTF.

Other than that, and the missions always being on the farthest point of the map from where you currently are, it was an OK game.

Worth 20 bucks it you can get it cheap though, and some places sell it for that. If your bored.
December 3, 2008 8:45:11 PM

@nocturnal7x Thought I'd try and see how far I could go with the Gold AK47, about the time I thought the idea was a winner, it jammed, then shortly after, it jammed again.

So the Gold AK lasts longer than any other weapon, before it starts jamming, but it jams too.
December 3, 2008 8:57:14 PM

4Ryan6 said:
@nocturnal7x Thought I'd try and see how far I could go with the Gold AK47, about the time I thought the idea was a winner, it jammed, then shortly after, it jammed again.

So the Gold AK lasts longer than any other weapon, before it starts jamming, but it jams too.

geese. This game was released too soon, it seriously needs some patching. Its a shame its reputation is ruined before they can get that done, and probably never will get around to it since they know people are turned off to it.
December 3, 2008 9:44:24 PM

nocturnal7x said:
geese. This game was released too soon, it seriously needs some patching. Its a shame its reputation is ruined before they can get that done, and probably never will get around to it since they know people are turned off to it.

I think it was released too early also, Far Cry 2 is lacking in the story department which would have nice to be involved in. The story is very weak, a good story and more interaction with NPC's would have made FC2 a much better game!
December 4, 2008 11:52:16 AM

4Ryan6 said:

It would have been nice if the weapons weren't categorized, and you could have chosen exactly the ones you wanted to carry, instead of one from each category, that also sucked!

4 shiz
December 4, 2008 12:16:29 PM

Quote:

retarded AI always know where you are and you can hardly ever choose how you want to approach a mission... as you go in stealthy... some random guy 500 yards away sees you and then its fight 60 guys with 180 bullets... except it takes an entire clip to take out one guy... totally not cool
:

From the developers press releases, I thought the animals were going to play a bigger role in the game rather than just being there to run over with your car. The first time I went up to some water I was hoping to see a croc come after me. The animals were just scenery and definitely not part of the game play like the developers said.

Yeah the aim between you and the AI is really unbalanced. They can hit you with shotguns from so far away where you need to be 10 feet from them to have the same aim. The other thing is that when you do sneak in and knife someone...the rest of them come running in. There is no way to sneak through a camp and take them out one by one.

The one thing that I noticed is that is good with the AI is that when your reputation goes up, they become scared of you in the towns and step out of your way rather than push you around. The gunner AIs seem to change their dialog a bit but they don't really react any different though.

Overall, it didn't end up as dynamic as what the developers were saying it was going to turn out to be. If there is a 3rd one they better fix all of this stuff. I totally agree though. It seems to just fall short in every category. I wonder if this is Ubi's influence on the game....it has that rushed out and not complete feel.
December 4, 2008 12:32:22 PM

If you could have carried say the AK47 and the Sniper Rifle at the same time, that would have been much better IMO.
December 4, 2008 6:34:08 PM

Of course Far Cry 2 was most defenently was rushed, don't you guys know when developers stand to make most of their profit from PC games? I you said the Christmas season you NAILED IT!
December 5, 2008 1:48:47 PM

BlakHart said:

I have mixed feelings about the weapon jamming. I think it's cool that it introduces that concept in a game. Now that I think about it, weapons do degrade a little to fast in FC2. I do like the idea of taking time to maintain them in game like vehicles etc. but some guns are different.

For example I am a gun owner, I have a 4 pistols, a shotgun, and a assault rifle. I shoot at the range often and clean/maintain my guns after every use. Every now and then every one of my guns has jammed on me at some point. My Desert Eagle does more often then the others and I think largely because of how I'm holding the gun. I am nervous when I shoot that gun and I don't firmly hold it the same as I do the others. I say it happens once every 3 clips I go through. Maybe they considered that for some strange reason? who knows? Also guns in Africa I don't imagine are to well maintained. some guns purchased brand new look scratched and worn from the start like the uzi for example.

search youtube for 9mm

you will see videos of people shooting 1000+ round as fast as possible with the gun, part of the gun even start to turn red but they don't jam

December 5, 2008 3:09:06 PM

razor512 said:
search youtube for 9mm

you will see videos of people shooting 1000+ round as fast as possible with the gun, part of the gun even start to turn red but they don't jam

sweet

December 5, 2008 4:58:54 PM

here is a 1000 round fire test (1000 rounds in 14 minutes 100% no problems with the gun at all )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_JuF23qazI

when a gun jams, you remove the jam and continue to fire,
when the firing hardware in it fails, then you throw the gun away as it will only slow you down if you cant shoot it, unless you use it as a blunt weapon

a gun should not break after like 5 clips
December 5, 2008 5:07:01 PM

I've never had a gun break after 5 clips in FC2... If that happens you must be picking up weapons from NPC's in which you have to assume they have had a hard life. I don't I get them from weapon shop brand new. The game is not perfect, I just dont see what's so annoying about the jamming/breaking of weapons in this game. It does not happen to me enough in the game to b*tch about it.
December 5, 2008 6:03:56 PM

even the brand new weapons, your player still throws it away after a few clips

in real life, guns last longer than in the game

watch a few stress test videos of all of the different full auto and semi auto weapon, you will see that they can last longer than in game
December 5, 2008 7:40:55 PM

This game is not for impatient people, but for those that like an adventure. If you buy those special primary, secondary weapon cases and put your most used weapons in it, all you have to do to get weapon in 100% condition is go to one of your MANY Safe Houses and open up the case and you got yourself a new gun, theres "no limit" on how many times you can get another new gun from the same case seconds apart.

There are many issues with the game that just amaze me, truck convoys going in circles, they should have given you a certain amount of time to reach the convoy. If you don't get there in time you fail the mission and any diamonds you may have gotten for the mission, this is the way it should have been! My actual experience playing FC2 is I was going up a winding road toward the top of a mountain and ran into some fools trying to kill me in a Jeep, so I pulled out my RPG and blew them off the cliff wall.

I saw something purple and white on the ledge, after hopping down I found a hang glider! :sol:  So I hopped on and flew over the pretty landscape and at about 100 feet I flew over head of some enemies, next thing I know they open fire on me and my glider starts doing uncontrolable forward loops. I hit the ground hard but survive somehow and kill them fools. Playing FC2 is lots more fun than people have admitted, the good far outways the bad! :sol: 
December 5, 2008 7:49:47 PM

systemlord said:
the good far outways the bad! :sol: 

I agree with that. There are things like the convoys going in tiny circles out in the middle of no where that seem a bit off, but I am still playing it and enjoying it. It isn't the best but it keeps me busy for a couple of hours. I think the limited # of weapons that you can carry actually adds value to the replay. I am going through a second time using different combination of weapons this time. It sucks too because I want to carry them all but it is letting me play a bit differently the second time around.
Anonymous
December 6, 2008 2:38:41 AM

I admit I had fun with the game. But, that being said... doesn't make up for the fact that it falls short in nearly every category. If they actually fixed everything and polished it like EA did to Dead Space, then Far Cry 2 would honestly, probably be my favorite game. But despite it being fun, it doesn't cut it in the world of...this game has 5 replays before it gets boring...versus just one for Far Cry 2.

I literally finished and went. Wow, fun... but the ending sucked and i'm not ever going to pick this up again. Maybe i'll pick it up again and have cheats/mods enabled. But as it was when it shipped... it didn't have the same affect other games of this year have had on me. (Crysis Warhead... I love that game to death, Left 4 Dead... can't stop playing it, Dead Space is amazing, and so is Fallout 3)
December 24, 2008 2:22:32 AM

Quote:
I admit I had fun with the game. But, that being said... doesn't make up for the fact that it falls short in nearly every category. If they actually fixed everything and polished it like EA did to Dead Space, then Far Cry 2 would honestly, probably be my favorite game. But despite it being fun, it doesn't cut it in the world of...this game has 5 replays before it gets boring...versus just one for Far Cry 2.

I literally finished and went. Wow, fun... but the ending sucked and i'm not ever going to pick this up again. Maybe i'll pick it up again and have cheats/mods enabled. But as it was when it shipped... it didn't have the same affect other games of this year have had on me. (Crysis Warhead... I love that game to death, Left 4 Dead... can't stop playing it, Dead Space is amazing, and so is Fallout 3)

Are Dead Space and Fallout 3, First Person Shooters?
December 24, 2008 12:29:21 PM

Yes they are FPS.

~Death Dream~
December 24, 2008 9:44:06 PM

I should have got fallout3
December 26, 2008 4:52:32 PM

Death Dream said:
Yes they are FPS.

~Death Dream~

Dead Space is listed as 3rd person tactical shooter

Fallout 3 is listed as a role playing game that can simulate FPS but doesn't respond as a true FPS game

According to the reviews I've read, so you're saying they are First Person Shooters???

Have you actually played the games???
December 26, 2008 5:12:50 PM

I haven't played Dead Space, but FO3 is basically a mesh of a FPS and RPG, I would strongly strongly recommend it.
December 26, 2008 5:32:57 PM

starman27 said:
FO3 is basically a mesh of a FPS and RPG, I would strongly strongly recommend it.

Are we talking FO3 following the same parallel lines as say Splintercell and Tomb Raiders in game actions, and their relation to FPS, because those type games I do not like Period!

I do not like the hesitation from one view to the other even though its an automatic switch.

I like the fluid and instantaneous first person shooters, dedicated 360 degree shooting environment, fully first person view, like, FarCry, FARCRY 2, Crysis, Crysis Warhead, older Serious Sam games, Etc.

Those are dedicated FPS games, so why would I like FO3 in your opinion?
!