FARCRY 2

FARCRY 2

What a complete pile of fresh steaming water buffalo dung!

After all this freakin time since the first FarCry what a load of crap and total waste of time and money!, this game is, a Total disappointment!

Don't waste your money on it.

Being sent all over from one side of the map to the other on stupid missions collecting diamonds for seemingly needed weapons that jam on a regular basis even with the upgrades to the weapons, that sucks!

Especially when all 3 weapons jam in a firefight at the same time!

You can collect an arsenal of useless weapons because you can only carry 3, and stash 3 so an arsenal of weapons is actually useless, and anyway 3 particular weapons is all you really need to complete the game period!

The original FarCry was a great FPS, played it through many times and thoroughly enjoyed it and never regreted buying it, FARCRY 2 is like watching a humdrum B movie, that you keep watching hoping it will get better and never does!

No night vision, not even a flashlight!

Have to hold down the right mouse button to zoom!

Sick from the gitgo with malaria that you have to take pills for all the way through the game!

Of all the first person shooters I've played, this is the top of the worst of the worst list! Ryan

BlakHart

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
- you can only carry 4 weapons in the original far cry and there were only a total of maybe 10 in the game.
-Buy weapons and replace them every now and then instead of picking them up from NPCs...there are weapon storage/shops everywhere. That will help with your jamming complaint.
-no need for a flashlight or nightvision... the beautiful moon lights things up nicely at night.
-Yeah the Malaria sucks but it's easy to keep under control.

The game can be difficult but the longer you play it the better it gets in my opinion. I like it, it's different and it takes longer then 10 hours to beat which is rare these days. The graphics and sound are great and the engine runs smooth. I liked the original far cry, this deserves a little more credit. It is 10 times better then the far cry games the consoles have seen. God those games sucked.

High

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2008
By looking at any gaming forum i'm guessing FC2 is one of those games you either love or hate, though i think anyone that think it's good should have his testicles removed but that's just me.

you can only carry 4 weapons in the original far cry and there were only a total of maybe 10 in the game.

True and the weapons worked, never jammed, never blew up in your face.
If FARCRY 2 needed weapon degradation it should also have included weapon maintenance time, you were allowed sleep time, why not dedicated maintenance to ensure good operation of the weapon.
In reality I was a Gunnersmate in the USN, my job included maintenance of all the ships small arms, our guns were dependable, they did not jam they were kept in excellent condition, but time had to be allowed for that.
So the game should allow for that, it allowed repairing cars, boats, and such, but not the weapons.
Of course the Gold AK47 never jammed, but you didn't even have to pay for that.

-Buy weapons and replace them every now and then instead of picking them up from NPCs...there are weapon storage/shops everywhere. That will help with your jamming complaint.

DUH!!!
The game sucks dude, theres no logical sense in playing it again!

-no need for a flashlight or nightvision... the beautiful moon lights things up nicely at night.

ROFLMAO :lol: Not if you're in a mountain valley, or deep in the woods, you have actually played the game RIGHT?

The game can be difficult but the longer you play it the better it gets in my opinion. I like it, it's different and it takes longer then 10 hours to beat which is rare these days.

You did notice almost every misson was on the far side of the map causing you sometimes to travel back over some of the same terrain, or take different routes to explore new terrain, and that took time, Hey man I just realized they named the game wrong!!!
They should have named it Far Side and left FarCry out of it altogether. :lol:
FarCry itself was one huge map that you progressed through and one of the things I most liked about FarCry was the ability to take different routes to accomplish the same goal, but the initial map plan had a beginning and end to each section, do you not remember how huge the original FarCry map was?

The graphics and sound are great and the engine runs smooth.

Thats True!

I liked the original far cry, this deserves a little more credit. It is 10 times better then the far cry games the consoles have seen. God those games sucked

I liked the original FarCry also, but they had more than enough time to release a superb FPS in FARCRY 2, but they blew it IMO, but if you like the game then KUDOs to you man!
Can't comment on the console releases of FarCry, never played them.

I'm peeved at the game, not you, so, no offence to you is actually intended OK.

BlakHart

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
No offence taken we simply just have a difference of opinion.

I have mixed feelings about the weapon jamming. I think it's cool that it introduces that concept in a game. Now that I think about it, weapons do degrade a little to fast in FC2. I do like the idea of taking time to maintain them in game like vehicles etc. but some guns are different.

For example I am a gun owner, I have a 4 pistols, a shotgun, and a assault rifle. I shoot at the range often and clean/maintain my guns after every use. Every now and then every one of my guns has jammed on me at some point. My Desert Eagle does more often then the others and I think largely because of how I'm holding the gun. I am nervous when I shoot that gun and I don't firmly hold it the same as I do the others. I say it happens once every 3 clips I go through. Maybe they considered that for some strange reason? who knows? Also guns in Africa I don't imagine are to well maintained. some guns purchased brand new look scratched and worn from the start like the uzi for example.

As far as the lighing goes I didn't really notice a problem at night in the woods or in mountain valleys and yes I do have 30 hours or so in the game already so I have played and enjoyed it lol. I usually dont have a problem with npc's in those areas though so when i travel through them at night I'm usually in a vehicle with headlights.

and yes I did notice they usually make you travel to the other side of the world for a mission but that doesnt bother me, I actually like it. I can take a boat there to avoid enemies or drive or walk if I have time to kill. It is not linear in any way shape or form and that's what I like the most. It's a nice change in my opinion.

I don't believe FC2 is perfect by any means trust me, I hate how NPC's kamikaze my ass in there vehicles... that is stupid and unrealistic. I do not like only being able to carry 4 weapons... You can carry a forth (flamethrower only I believe) and I do not like how easy it is to be spotted during the day without the camo suit. but I think it is worth $50 for any hardcore FPS fan like myself.

Of course that's just my opinion.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
a big map is good to explore but when you are constantly sent back and forth across the map, it gets annoying

would you play oblivion or fallout 3 if they constnatly sent you across the map

at least those games allow you to teleport instantly to places you have been to before

and when the enemies constantly respawn, it is like playing the same mission over and over

the weapons also suck because the player keeps throwig them away in the middle of a fight

who throws away a gun in the middle of a fire fight

at least club them with the rifle when it wont shoot

the game gets repettive and bland very fast

most of the missions are similar and most of the game play time is spent traveling and fighting the same exact enemies and theres nothing really worth exploring in the game

in games like fallout 3, the map is worth exploring, there many small villages and towns that have fun side quest and the scerery you get when exploring is great

far cry 2 has a very simple map design and it is repettive

it doesn't matter how big the map is, if there is not enough meaningful content to fill it

if you want a larger map than far cry 2 then get star wars jedi academy there many custom maps that are much larger than that of far cry 2, but they also happen to be bland like a desert that just goes on and on

thats what far cry 2 did

at least in far cry 1, the levels for the most part looked different

when a game has a big map, I want it to be big for a reason other than making it so you have to spend most of your time traveling to a mission location

all far cry 2 offers is miles and miles of distance between mission locations, with just similar looking enemy outposts all along your rout

Also a gun owner but I chose the Baby Desert Eagle 45ACP, feels better in my hands and so far its never jammed, of course my 9mm Beretta never jammed either.

Heres a couple of tips for the Eagle, when you load your magazines and you're finished loading the bullets, tap the magazine on its back side on a piece of cloth cushion on a flat surface so all the bullets are tight to the back of the magazine.

Also rub your finger at the barrel entrance where the point of the bullet strikes before entering the barrel when the slide goes forward, if its rough at all, take some emery cloth and smooth it using your finger with the emery cloth wrapped around it, until its smooth as glass, use emery cloth not sandpaper, and when you get it smooth clean and oil her up.

As far as the game is concerned you haven't gotten to the wonderful ending yet, when you get there, please update your feelings about the game then.

SpinachEater

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007
I agree. It feels like the skeleton to a good game...it is missing the fleshy goodness though. It has a huge map and I like the layout but the missions are all the same. Go to ____ and blow up the ___. Or, Go to ____ and kill ____. I am baffled at the simplicity and repetition. There could have been much much more to do other than run out and do something and then come back for another mission.

I can only play it for so long. Very anti-climactic and repetitive.

My other complaint is the predictable AI. The re-spawning is ok since it is sort of realistic that they would set up camp again but when they jump in a truck and drive directly into you EVERY SINGLE TIME... BAAA. The driver jumps out to shoot you no matter what. You can train your gun on the door and they always step out to take on in the head. If you shoot the driver while they are charging in, the gunner takes the wheel and drives at you again.

I do like it when they say "Oh $hit we got the new guy" That cracks me up every time.

Yeah you sure don't want to be in the open when you hear a vehicle coming, those vehicles were always a pain, that automatic grenade launcher made the revenge against them sweet!

Towards the end I'd take a machine gun shot at them from a distance, just to get them to turn around and switch to the grenade launcher. They always turned around! [Smile]

My favorite weapons, [when they worked that is], were the advanced sniper rifle, and the auto grenade launcher, only problem was you couldn't carry those at the same time.

It would have been nice if the weapons weren't categorized, and you could have chosen exactly the ones you wanted to carry, instead of one from each category, that also sucked!

G

I think the game was ALMOST amazing

it was just short

Weapon damage was f*cked big time...

Too much driving around and people coming out of the middle of no where...

also round about weapon convoys... they're driving in a circle non-stop wtf?

malaria is retarded in this game... its just a pointless side mission

everything is destructable (spelling?) isn't there at ALL

its africa... where are the lions and crocs?

not enough scripted events

hardly any story

retarded AI always know where you are and you can hardly ever choose how you want to approach a mission... as you go in stealthy... some random guy 500 yards away sees you and then its fight 60 guys with 180 bullets... except it takes an entire clip to take out one guy... totally not cool

ending... pretty lame... actually... really really lame... i ran through it in about 5 minutes with the nade launcher... wtf kinda ending is that?

also shotgun is completely pointless

If you actually examine the above list... it looks like the game is SH*T!!! but its just short of something... if they included even a couple of those it would be so awesome...

PS. Why would you need a flashlight at night? Thats what the fire system is for :na:

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006

This would not have been a waste of time and money had you read the reviews first, they tell you about the repetitive missions, gun jamming and super long travel time to each mission. For those that have read the reviews, you can avoid wasting time and money and decide if the short comings are enough to really bother you. If you have been PC gaming or console gaming for a few years you should know by now not to put a lot of stock into the hype no matter who is developing the game!

Yeah Thats true!

However since FPS PC games are so few and far between, I'd of played it anyway!

And there will be people playing it for Christmas no matter whats said here in this thread.

Thanks for your logical input.

@ thogrom

They were turned into coats and shoes before the diamonds were discovered. [Ouch]
I kept expecting an animal attack of some kind?

Also It would have been a nice plus if you could have sniped from a prone position, highest weapon stability, lowest possible return fire target profile.

Its almost like the game was designed by people that don't play games with so many missing elements, they must have hired auto parts salesmen! [Sick Humor, No Offence Auto Parts Salesmen of the world.]

idisarmu

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2008
Far cry 2 isn't your typical fps.

It is a lot more slow-paced.

After playing it for a long time (20 hours or more) and re-reading the developer blogs and watching the preview trailers and tech demos again- you come to realize that the game became what it was meant to be.

Some things are missing- such as fully destructable trees and regrowing trees and full destructable buildings... however- almost everything in the game was done well.

The checkpoints may be annoying- I find them annoying- not frustrating though. Just play at a slower pace, and dart snipe them all..... either that or rush in there with a flame thrower or grenade launcher.

FC2 needs a prettier water shader I must admit though.

The water in the original far cry looked much better..... the water in FC2 looks almost like Half-life 2 water..... not good.

nocturnal7x

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2008
I never had weapon jam problems, I always got new weapons very mission, or when I passed an armory I would get new weapons, or you could just get the golden AK.

The respawning of the guard posts was what killed it for me. I would knock out a guard post, storm a base and on my way out of the base have to kill the guards again WTF.

Other than that, and the missions always being on the farthest point of the map from where you currently are, it was an OK game.

Worth 20 bucks it you can get it cheap though, and some places sell it for that. If your bored.

@nocturnal7x Thought I'd try and see how far I could go with the Gold AK47, about the time I thought the idea was a winner, it jammed, then shortly after, it jammed again.

So the Gold AK lasts longer than any other weapon, before it starts jamming, but it jams too.

nocturnal7x

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2008

geese. This game was released too soon, it seriously needs some patching. Its a shame its reputation is ruined before they can get that done, and probably never will get around to it since they know people are turned off to it.

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006

I think it was released too early also, Far Cry 2 is lacking in the story department which would have nice to be involved in. The story is very weak, a good story and more interaction with NPC's would have made FC2 a much better game!

SpinachEater

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007

4 shiz

SpinachEater

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007

retarded AI always know where you are and you can hardly ever choose how you want to approach a mission... as you go in stealthy... some random guy 500 yards away sees you and then its fight 60 guys with 180 bullets... except it takes an entire clip to take out one guy... totally not cool
:

From the developers press releases, I thought the animals were going to play a bigger role in the game rather than just being there to run over with your car. The first time I went up to some water I was hoping to see a croc come after me. The animals were just scenery and definitely not part of the game play like the developers said.

Yeah the aim between you and the AI is really unbalanced. They can hit you with shotguns from so far away where you need to be 10 feet from them to have the same aim. The other thing is that when you do sneak in and knife someone...the rest of them come running in. There is no way to sneak through a camp and take them out one by one.

The one thing that I noticed is that is good with the AI is that when your reputation goes up, they become scared of you in the towns and step out of your way rather than push you around. The gunner AIs seem to change their dialog a bit but they don't really react any different though.

Overall, it didn't end up as dynamic as what the developers were saying it was going to turn out to be. If there is a 3rd one they better fix all of this stuff. I totally agree though. It seems to just fall short in every category. I wonder if this is Ubi's influence on the game....it has that rushed out and not complete feel.

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
Of course Far Cry 2 was most defenently was rushed, don't you guys know when developers stand to make most of their profit from PC games? I you said the Christmas season you NAILED IT!

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007

search youtube for 9mm

you will see videos of people shooting 1000+ round as fast as possible with the gun, part of the gun even start to turn red but they don't jam

BlakHart

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008

sweet