Installing Software on Windows XP Pro

Hi, I'm new to Windows XP Pro (coming from Windows 98se).

I think if I get an answer to the following question that it will go a long
way in making my transition easier.

Given: 1) two users "ADM" having administrator rights and "LIM" having
limited rights and 2) two software programs "A" which asks about "All users"
or "Current user" when being installed and "B" which does not ask.

Which of these two users should install the two software programs and how so
that both user will be able to use both programs?

Any help will greatly appreciated.
5 answers Last reply
More about installing software windows

    Bractals wrote:
    > Hi, I'm new to Windows XP Pro (coming from Windows 98se).
    >
    > I think if I get an answer to the following question that it will go a long
    > way in making my transition easier.
    >
    > Given: 1) two users "ADM" having administrator rights and "LIM" having
    > limited rights and 2) two software programs "A" which asks about "All users"
    > or "Current user" when being installed and "B" which does not ask.
    >
    > Which of these two users should install the two software programs and how so
    > that both user will be able to use both programs?
    >
    > Any help will greatly appreciated.

    All software should be installed by a user account that has
    administrative privileges. In fact, most modern software cannot be
    installed, otherwise.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Are you by any chance into mathematics?

    Only members of the Administrator's group can install software.

    Administrators can choose which users will have access to almost any given
    application.

    Ted Zieglar

    "Bractals" <Bractals@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi, I'm new to Windows XP Pro (coming from Windows 98se).
    >
    > I think if I get an answer to the following question that it will go a
    > long
    > way in making my transition easier.
    >
    > Given: 1) two users "ADM" having administrator rights and "LIM" having
    > limited rights and 2) two software programs "A" which asks about "All
    > users"
    > or "Current user" when being installed and "B" which does not ask.
    >
    > Which of these two users should install the two software programs and how
    > so
    > that both user will be able to use both programs?
    >
    > Any help will greatly appreciated.

    Hi, I got my MA in mathematics in 1976.

    How does the administrator make access to an application available to a
    limited user?

    I have installed a number of applications and made them available to limited
    users with shortcuts - some worked and some did not. Is there more to making
    an application available then making a shortcut available? If there is, could
    you direct me to a detailed explanation? I have purchased a number of books
    and they talk about everything except application installation and making the
    application accessible to limited users.

    Bractals wrote:
    > Hi, I got my MA in mathematics in 1976.
    >
    > How does the administrator make access to an application available to a
    > limited user?
    >
    > I have installed a number of applications and made them available to limited
    > users with shortcuts - some worked and some did not. Is there more to making
    > an application available then making a shortcut available? If there is, could
    > you direct me to a detailed explanation? I have purchased a number of books
    > and they talk about everything except application installation and making the
    > application accessible to limited users.

    This is quite common if the software was designed for Win9x/Me, or
    if it was intended for WinNT/2K/XP, but was improperly designed. Quite
    simply, the installation routine for this application doesn't "know"
    how to handle individual user profiles, or the application tries to
    make changes to "off-limits" sections of the registry. Quite often,
    you can make this software available to other users by _copying_ the
    Start Menu folder and Desktop folder shortcuts from the user profile
    from which the software was installed in the corresponding folders in
    the user profile(s) in which you'd like the software to be accessible.
    If the application is something that can/should be made available to
    all current and future users, copying the shortcuts into the
    corresponding locations of the All Users profile will do the trick.

    NOTE: This may not work if the software requires access to parts
    of the hard drive and/or registry that are not normally accessible to
    regular users. (This won't occur if the application was properly
    written.) If this does prove to be the case, however, you're left
    with two options: Either grant the necessary users appropriate higher
    access privileges (either as Power Users or local administrators), or
    replace the application with one that was properly designed
    specifically for WinNT/2K/XP.

    Some Programs Do Not Work If You Log On from Limited Account
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q307091

    For some obscure reason, game developers in particular seem to not
    understand WinXP's file security paradigm, and require even limited
    users to have unnecessarily high privileges to protected systems
    folders. For example, saved games are often stored in a sub-folder
    under the game's folder within C:\Program Files - a place where no
    inexperienced or limited user should have write permissions.

    Additionally, here are a couple of tips suggested, in a reply to a
    different post, by MS-MVP Kent W. England:

    "If your game or application works with admin accounts, but not with
    limited accounts, you can fix it to allow limited users to access the
    program files folder with "change" capability rather than "read" which
    is the default.

    C:\>cacls "Program Files\appfolder" /e /t /p users:c

    where "appfolder" is the folder where the application is installed.

    If you wish to undo these changes, then run

    C:\>cacls "Program Files\appfolder" /e /t /p users:r

    If you still have a problem with running the program or saving
    settings on limited accounts, you may need to change permissions on
    the registry keys. Run regedit.exe and go to HKLM\Software\vendor\app,
    where "vendor\app" is the key that the software vendor used for your
    specific program. Change the permissions on this key to allow Users
    full control."

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Hi,

    The short answer is that to install software you need admin-level privileges
    in a XP Home system (Pro also has a power users group that has install
    privileges).

    > Given: 1) two users "ADM" having administrator rights and "LIM" having
    > limited rights and 2) two software programs "A" which asks about "All
    > users"
    > or "Current user" when being installed and "B" which does not ask.

    Program "A" was written with an NT-based system (like WinXP) in mind and
    knows about true user profiles. Program "B" does not, and was likely written
    for older Win9x operating systems where all users had equal access to system
    files. You can read more on this on this page I wrote:
    http://rickrogers.org/xpsware.htm

    > Which of these two users should install the two software programs and how
    > so
    > that both user will be able to use both programs?

    Both have to be installed by ADM, the latter while logged on as an LIM user
    and right-clicking the setup file and using "run as", then using the ADM
    username and password. This is discussed on the link above as well.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Bractals" <Bractals@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi, I'm new to Windows XP Pro (coming from Windows 98se).
    >
    > I think if I get an answer to the following question that it will go a
    > long
    > way in making my transition easier.
    >
    > Given: 1) two users "ADM" having administrator rights and "LIM" having
    > limited rights and 2) two software programs "A" which asks about "All
    > users"
    > or "Current user" when being installed and "B" which does not ask.
    >
    > Which of these two users should install the two software programs and how
    > so
    > that both user will be able to use both programs?
    >
    > Any help will greatly appreciated.

Windows XP Software