Sign in with
Your question
Closed

How well is GTA4 running for you?

Last response: in Video Games
December 2, 2008 8:09:36 PM

I haven't really followed this game (Not that big of a GTA fan), but apparently there are reports over the internet of the game running horribly slow (think 10-20fps on top hardware). I'm asking anyone who took one for the team and bought this game to tell me how does it run. I really don't want to have a 30-fps-consolesque experience on my PC.

More about : gta4 running

December 2, 2008 10:42:02 PM

If my local best buy would get their sh*t together and find the 8 missing GTA4 PC copies they say they have in stock I would tell you how it runs on a 4850.
December 3, 2008 11:57:44 AM

From what I've read there are issues with Radeon 4XXX cards, on 3XXX card the game works fine at medium/high settings (so long as you max out the draw distance) and on Nivida cards GTA4 runs well except for the GX2.

One reoccurring theme has been very bad performance on the 4870X2 and the 9800GX2 so it's reasonable to assume there are SLI and Crossfire issues to sort out.
Related resources
December 3, 2008 3:31:45 PM

While running the benchmark, I average 30fps on medium/high settings @1680x1050 on a oc'ed 3870 and an e6400 @2.9. While playing the game, there is lag and some of the cut scenes have horizontal lines from the choppiness. Overall, performance is not very good.
December 3, 2008 5:23:17 PM

JeanLuc said:
From what I've read there are issues with Radeon 4XXX cards, on 3XXX card the game works fine at medium/high settings (so long as you max out the draw distance) and on Nivida cards GTA4 runs well except for the GX2.

One reoccurring theme has been very bad performance on the 4870X2 and the 9800GX2 so it's reasonable to assume there are SLI and Crossfire issues to sort out.

I hope this is true and there will be a fix for this. The game looks and runs Terrible at medium settings at any resolution at and below 1680x1050.
I was waiting all year for this game so it's very disappointing. If there is a problem with the 4xxx series once it's fixed hopefully this game scales well with crossfire so I can pick up an extra 4850.
December 3, 2008 5:51:48 PM

how would it run on a single core + 8600GT?
December 3, 2008 6:21:52 PM

vochtige said:
how would it run on a single core + 8600GT?

I would say that you are going to be in for a slideshow at the moment.
December 3, 2008 7:09:51 PM

i have it running on my system;

athlonx2 5600+

hd4850

2gig ram

xp pro x86

and it runs like ****. the cpu is the bottle neck, i get 23 fps at 800x600 and lowest settings and 22 fps at 1024x768 and medium/high settings. seems like a very cpu intensive game.... also it fille my page file up past 2 gig, i have a lot of background proceses nibbling at my ram but daym!
December 4, 2008 8:44:37 AM

psymanproductions said:
i have it running on my system;

athlonx2 5600+

hd4850

2gig ram

xp pro x86

and it runs like ****. the cpu is the bottle neck, i get 23 fps at 800x600 and lowest settings and 22 fps at 1024x768 and medium/high settings. seems like a very cpu intensive game.... also it fille my page file up past 2 gig, i have a lot of background proceses nibbling at my ram but daym!

What draw distance have you got the game set to?
December 4, 2008 9:01:08 AM

so it's true a quadcore is required?
December 4, 2008 12:18:23 PM

You guys might want to read this

THE GRAPHIC SETTINGS OF GRAND THEFT AUTO IV PC

Most users using current PC hardware as of December 2008 are advised to use medium graphics settings. Higher settings are provided for future generations of PCs with higher specifications than are currently widely available.

Graphics settings are limited by system resources by default. 256MB video cards force minimum settings by default. If a user bypasses these safety measures using command line arguments and exceeds their system resources, the users gaming experience may be compromised.

Video Mode
Resolution scaling effects water, reflections, shadows, mirrors and the visible viewable distance. The resolution settings relate to the amount of available video memory. At 2560*1600 the game will require 320MB of video memory in addition to all the memory required for content. At 800*600 the game will require 32MB of video memory in addition to the content. Medium resolution settings are recommended for most users as higher settings are only usable if there is available video memory.

Texture Quality
Texture quality affects the visual quality of the content of the game. High setting for textures will require 600MB of video memory at a setting of 21 View Distance in addition to the memory taken by the Video Mode. A medium texture setting is recommended for most users.

Render Quality
Render quality is the texture filter quality used on most things in the world rendering. Most people would know this as anisotropic filtering. Medium settings are recommended for most users and will provide filtering beyond what the console versions can execute.

View Distance
View distance scales the distance in which different objects in the world such as building and cars are seen. Raising this option increases the distance in which high quality objects must be loaded and will increase the memory it requires. Restrictions are established to ensure the game runs optimally for most users. A setting of 22 or more will provide PC users an enhanced experience over the console versions.

Detail Distance
Detail distance scales aspects of the environment that the View Distance setting does not including vegetation, trash and other moveable objects. A setting of 10 would be the equivalent to the performance on a console. This setting has little effect on memory.

Vehicle Density
Vehicle density scales the traffic density of the traffic in the game. It has no effect on the mission vehicles or difficultly of the game, but can have a significant impact on CPU performance

Shadow Density
Shadow Density controls the number of shadows generated for positional lights in exterior environments. These shadows are exclusive to the PC version and can have a major impact on CPU and GPU performance.

Crossfire/SLI
With the latest ATI driver (8-11 series) the game supports crossfire modes (ie. 4870x2)
SLI is currently unsupported. Support will be added through a future game patch as well as an updated Nvidia driver.

NOTE: Background Processes
Certain background processes can have a detrimental effect on system performance when playing GTA IV, especially on systems with minimum required system memory. Users should ensure they disable their Virus scans when running the game to maximize performance

I found it here - http://forums.slizone.com/index.php?showtopic=30840
December 4, 2008 1:00:48 PM

Blimey!

Looks like they did actually put a bit of thought into the port. (That should be a campaign name!)

Does it pay off? what do you guys think of the graphics? I was apalled by the 360 version...
December 4, 2008 2:55:30 PM

one thing to say: everybody complained about the bad graphics of the older games. bacause they had to be playable on the console (ps2)

now gta4 is the total opposite. almost nobody can play it on high settings?
December 4, 2008 3:45:21 PM

I've got a Q9550, 8Gb Ram, 4870 1Gb. It defaulted to medium settings at 1280 resolution for me. I've got a CRT, so I reduced the resolution a notch and upped the detail and draw distance. Runs fine so far.
December 4, 2008 4:54:32 PM

It ran great at default settings. As soon as I turned up the settings and benchmarked it, it crashed. It has not loaded since. I see that this is a common problem and perhaps Net framework 3.5 might solve some of the issues. I will try this this afternoon. I am thinking that a driver update will fix the problems...... hurry up ATI...... In the meantime I will kill some zombies.

It does look much better than the xbox 360 version. (which I sold because I can't get used to the controller with FPS's).
December 4, 2008 5:53:43 PM

Anyone know of any reputable sites that have benchmarked this game?
December 4, 2008 8:13:53 PM

The game won't even install on my machine. :fou: 

Says that my machine isn't compatible with '%P' whatever that is. If they mean XP, they're right. I've got Vista.

Any other Vista users having problems?

December 4, 2008 10:02:03 PM

Net Framework 3.5 seems to have fixed my problems.
I used the in game benchmark to get 39.96 fps with the following default settings.

1680x1050
High
High
view distance of 32
detail @ 65

It runs smooth and looks great.

Fraps says I get about 34fps average with a low of 24 and a high of 54

My system is E8400 @4.0 ,4 gigs of ddr3 10666, Hd 4870 X2, Samsung T260 1080P, P5E3 deluxe MB, Antec P190 case, bose Companion 5 speakers Vista 32

It is a great day when I can play GTA4 with a mouse. The PC version slays the Xbox 360 version.
December 5, 2008 11:07:18 AM

Well, at least they admit that SLI (and therfor, the GX2) is not supported right now...
December 9, 2008 11:04:55 PM

GTA 4 is the first game my pc cannot run well. My old CPU (P4 3.4) has finally caught up with me.
December 10, 2008 10:18:48 AM

Blimey. I thought about picking this up over the weekend but i didnt realise the issues were this bad.
Nice article on the amount of GPU usage per graphical variable, would be nice to see that for more games.
December 10, 2008 10:33:36 AM

I installed a 4850 (680/1050) and it didn't make any difference over my 3870 as far as FPS. I believe my cpu is holding me back (e6400@2.8). This game really is CPU intensive.
December 10, 2008 2:35:57 PM

man i really need some new parts!!! hey you p4 3.4 user (wetjustice), did you try to play the gta on your rigg?
December 10, 2008 4:30:12 PM

By most accounts, it sounds like GTA4 PC is a total f-ing lemon

I haven't tried it yet but i'm glad I didn't pre-order, would've been disastrous.

Everything i've read states its flakey and poor performance, I guess after making a hundred zillion dollars on the console version ( highest grossing stand alone non-mmo video game ever ) I guess they didn't care too much.

I've actually heard it doesn't perform great on consoles either.
December 10, 2008 7:35:32 PM

I installed catalyst 8.12 and improved my average FPS by 5. I was averaging 29 fps now I am getting 34 fps at the following settings:

December 11, 2008 8:13:03 AM

I have no problems running it on 4870 and i7 920 with 3GB RAM on full graphics.
December 11, 2008 5:42:48 PM

Below is what I get with the 8.12 official driverss, E8500@4.0GHZ, and a pair of 4850s in crossfire.

Statistics
Average FPS: 50.47
Duration: 37.27 sec
CPU Usage: 93%
System memory usage: 56%
Video memory usage: 100%

Graphics Settings
Video Mode: 1920 x 1200 (60 Hz)
Texture Quality: Medium
Render Quality: High
View Distance: 11
Detail Distance: 11

Since I only have 512MB of memory I turned down the View Distance and increase the resolution to as high as it will go. Game now looks and plays very good.
The FPS sometimes dip into the low 30s but mostly stay in the high 30s to low 40s.
December 11, 2008 5:46:11 PM

i need my dream machine :D  hey m3D, tell me how you only have 512mb memory? or is it a driver fault?

do you see stuttering when your cpu is running the game? 93% is huge for that cpu!
December 11, 2008 5:51:30 PM

^I do not see any stuttering. Sorry for not being clear. I meant to say 512MB of Vram not system memory. When you are in the graphics settings the game only sees the 512MB (497 in my case due to Vista taking some) that is available to the graphics card. From what I have read I believe that should be correct because when you crossfire or sli the memory is not shared. That is also the case with the 4870X2. Users only have 1024 of Vram available in the graphics options.
December 14, 2008 4:14:31 AM

I ahve a Q6600 Q 3GHz, 4GB DDR2 1066 and a HD2900Pro 1GB OCed past the 2900XT speeds (basically faster than a 3870).

I run it @ 1280x1024 with medium textures / high rendering and the View Distance is at about 50, distance detail is at 50, the car volume it at like 60 and the shaodws are at 5.

I average about 40-45FPS.

Quad core is the best thing for it.
April 19, 2009 3:25:15 PM

when ever i paly gta 4 it runs well enough except I can't see further then a meter away form niko often less. no matter what settings I put the graphics to there is no diffrences. I tried increasing the view distance but it did nothing.
Please help
July 13, 2009 2:01:35 PM

Quote:
when ever i paly gta 4 it runs well enough except I can't see further then a meter away form niko often less. no matter what settings I put the graphics to there is no diffrences. I tried increasing the view distance but it did nothing.
Please help

I think i read somewhere that u have to update your drivers, and it makes it much better
there is also a hack that increases your view distance with very little impact. It forces gta to use low-res models in the distance.

I have a question though, I can't get my view distance past 45. The game won't let me. It gives me all sorts of warnings that i'm using too much vram... but I can play it maxed out (except view distance) at 60 fps. Anyone know of a way that I can force it increase the view distance?

My specs:
Intel i7 @ 3.5ghz
6gb ocz gold ddr3 @ 1600
asus p6t deluxe v2
Antec 1200
MSI Superpipe OC GTX 285
July 15, 2009 9:33:26 AM

This is my best benchmark:

Statistics
Average FPS: 38.13
Duration: 37.34 sec
CPU Usage: 91%
System memory usage: 96%
Video memory usage: 87%

Graphics Settings
Video Mode: 1280 x 1024 (60 Hz)
Texture Quality: High
Texture Filter Quality: Highest
View Distance: 34
Detail Distance: 100

Hardware
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate
Video Adapter: NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250
Video Driver version: 185.85
Audio Adapter: Headphones (High Definition Audio Device)
AMD Phenom(tm) II X3 710 Processor

File ID: Benchmark.cli

As you can see my hardware isn't high end and barely climbs up to mid-high, I don't even have 4gb's of RAM, but I get more than playable FPS on high-highest settings, at a moderate resolution though, as far as the benchmarks say.

The only problem is that in game I have stuttering, lag, some objects are not rendered until I crash onto them, and the game flows from playability at high speed car racing or heavy gun fights with police, to an almost comatose state.

When I used patch 1.03 it was playable during straight hours, then the stutters came out of nowhere and increased with patch 1.04, the patch itself gave me a ridiculous boost on FPS... during benchmark.

I had fun years ago with Vice City and San Andreas so I thought GTA IV could be amusing, but it's been only a big frustrating ugly disappointment.

So far the only fix that worked partially for me was to add a memrestrict commandline in the game's folders but then again if I use it some objects won't render.

http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=404147

Makes me think about the kind of lazy game developer that requires it's users to fix it's buggy product instead of releasing useful patches...

.C.
October 29, 2009 7:48:53 PM

[ :o  Thanks for all of that wonderful information: I just built myself a new PC after 15 years and its working great. I bought the GTA4 the other day and installed it. The Social Program part of the install is retarded and no I dont want to go online and share my informats with people I dont know..Just a heads up..

I have a Gigabyte Mobo specs: GA-MA790GP-UD4H with a Radeon Onboard 3300 758 Meg Video Card

Has ATI/Crossfire Technology for future 4870 dual video cards and shares memory with onboard (very Slick)

2 Gig of Ram for now. (Buy one more stick why not only 20 bucks)

80 Gig Hard Drive (old IDE )

AMD Athlon II x 250 CPU 3.0 MHZ

WindowsXP service Pack 3

I dont know how to find out my FPS when the game is playing.

When I first started the game the Video settings were at 1024x768 and it was running slow!!

So I lowered the settins to 800x600 on a Samsung 15 inch LCD and it runs much better. Not optimal but better more fluid..Very playable now..

Any Suggestions

Should I overclock my machine? Can do it with AMD overclock to at least 3.5 MHZ or even 3.8 MHZ(free)

Or just get more memory RAM STick of 1 or 2 Gigs more(20 bucks each)

Or plunk down 65 bucks for the 1 Gig 4870 Video Card?(tempted)

I mean the game looks good and is running descent but I want to tweak it to run great! Until they come out with patches for the new machines I can always upgrade to AM3 CPU phenom on this MOBO! So what do you think?

October 30, 2009 4:53:04 PM

60 FPS solid GFX maxed out. ALL HAIL CORE I7!!!!!
November 6, 2009 4:55:30 PM

I get around 25 frames on medium @ 16x10 .... It gets really choppy once you start blowing everything up... The game sucks IMO, unless you have a 920 @ 3.8Ghz, dual 5870's, lots of DDR3 ram and a nice 24" LCD....
November 9, 2009 3:40:43 PM

YOur right about the game sucking. I am running a 3.0 Mhz Atlon II 250 and a 4350 HD 1 GIG Video Card and I ran the benchmark testing on GTA4 and I only get 18.5 frames per second on medium\low settings. I installed the lastest ATI drivers and still get the same performance. Whats up with this Game? It runs okay now but I cant get even 25 to 30 FPS whats up with that?
November 9, 2009 4:09:22 PM

It is a shoddy port that is a greedy CPU pig of a game. It really is polishing a turd to say that the game was designed for future hardware, as even with a top shelf rig, the game is not as good looking as many other, less resource hungry titles.

Pass~
November 9, 2009 4:41:20 PM

SBFHawk1 said:
YOur right about the game sucking. I am running a 3.0 Mhz Atlon II 250 and a 4350 HD 1 GIG Video Card and I ran the benchmark testing on GTA4 and I only get 18.5 frames per second on medium\low settings. I installed the lastest ATI drivers and still get the same performance. Whats up with this Game? It runs okay now but I cant get even 25 to 30 FPS whats up with that?

Your system is a little dated and under powered. It takes a good amount of horsepower to run GTA 4 so it would be wise for you to upgrade if you wish to play it with reasonable graphics and a decent FPS.
November 9, 2009 4:49:44 PM

Dated the Athlon II is not really "dated" I have a AM2 and AM3 Gigabyte Mobo so I can go and purchase a Phenom Chip for it..I would not say the 250 is anything at all Dated. The 4350 Radeon Card is a bit on the low end but I cant afford a 150 dollar card. Its just like the previous guy posted its a CPU pig sucking game that requires you to buy 500 dollars worth of upgrades to get all of that hype. IMO the game should perform much better then that period. I built this PC with about 280 dollars total so I cant complain at all. I am trying to get the most of this game for the money. Thats what you should do too unless you just think that money grows on trees..
November 9, 2009 5:12:40 PM

I built a system not too long ago that consists of a P55 platform, running an i5 750 @ 3.5Ghz, dual 5770's in CF and 4Gb of DDR 2000 and get around 45+ frames. Of course the framerate goes down during heavy combat but it is playable.

Graphics Settings
Video Mode: 1920 x 1200 (60 Hz)
Texture Quality: High
View Distance: 35
Detail Distance: 90

November 9, 2009 5:24:09 PM

I would be happy with 25 to 35 FPS you know what I am saying. My CPU is only at 77% percent untilization when running GTA4 so I dont think its the CPU. I think it comes down to the Video Card. I went to cpu benchmark testing website and looked up the ratings for the 4350 HD radeon Card. It scored 233 on the ratings chart I paid 69 bucks for it. I should of bought the 4650 which scored 433 on the GP3 rating. At Frys its the same price as the 4350 just was not in stock yet. I can just return it and pickup the 4650:)  I will let you guys know what I find out. Or I can buy the 4870 HD card which scored in the high 1700 hundreds for 150! I just have to come up with 70 bucks to make up the difference. Either way I will let you know what a difference it makes on GTA4 if any..
November 10, 2009 2:23:18 AM

SBFHawk1 said:
Dated the Athlon II is not really "dated" I have a AM2 and AM3 Gigabyte Mobo so I can go and purchase a Phenom Chip for it..I would not say the 250 is anything at all Dated. The 4350 Radeon Card is a bit on the low end but I cant afford a 150 dollar card. Its just like the previous guy posted its a CPU pig sucking game that requires you to buy 500 dollars worth of upgrades to get all of that hype. IMO the game should perform much better then that period. I built this PC with about 280 dollars total so I cant complain at all. I am trying to get the most of this game for the money. Thats what you should do too unless you just think that money grows on trees..

I wasn't trying to bust on your system dude. GTA4 loves quad core cpu's and like you said in another post, the 4350 is not really ideal for gaming. I can assure you that everything I buy is best bang for the buck. I bought my cpu while it was on sale and I purchased one of my videocards about 6 months after the first one. Everyone who has played GTA 4 believes it should have been coded to run better on lower end systems, but that doesn't really help your situation when you think about what should be and what it really is. The biggest difference you will notice is upgrading your videocard.
November 12, 2009 3:35:14 PM

I went back to Frys and tried to exchange the 4350 HD radeon card but they no longer carry the 4650s. The sales rep told me that he was looking for one all day yesterday for himself! So I made a decision to go higher then that and picked up the 4670 HD Radeon. It was 109 so I paid 30 bucks more in price then my 4350 after exchanging it. ..When I got home I installed it and the drivers. I tested out GTA4 again ran Fraps on it. I cant belive the freaking difference! I did the autoconfigure and it has the settings for texture on High and Water quality High and everything else medium. Even at that rate the in game runs so smooth. I am getting 35 to 40 FPS running around and driving in the streets!

But then after 15 minutes my whole System Crashed! Yikes..I tried several times again and I would start the whole game again. I ended up calling Rockstar. They told me to uninstall the old drivers completly first. I did not do that. So I will try that today.
November 16, 2009 4:23:03 PM

Statistics
Average FPS: 39.9
Duration: 37.27 sec
CPU Usage: 77%
System memory usage: 79%
Video memory usage: 87%

Graphics Settings
Video Mode: 1024x 780 (60 Hz)Small 15 inch LCD
Texture Quality: Medium
View Distance: 21
Detail Distance: 59

This is on my 250 Athlon II and a 4670 HD video card GO AMD!!!!
November 16, 2009 5:36:11 PM

The 4670 will chew up most titles at 1024x768 no problem, even with older CPUs, nevermind your new 45nm Athlon II. That is an awesome bang for the buck rig :D 
November 16, 2009 6:22:46 PM

Looks like upgrading your video card was a worth while upgrade.
November 16, 2009 6:25:39 PM

Yeah Big Time... If people are having FPS issues look at the CPU usage and if its pretty decent and not over utilized then look at your Video as the biggest best bang for the buck you can invest in..

Thank You guys for the help..

Now for those stupid GTA4 crashes and freezes thats a whole different story..
November 16, 2009 6:27:34 PM

No matter how you run it, GTA4 is still a shoddy CPU pig of a console port.
November 16, 2009 6:32:43 PM

Yup I agree JofaMang

But its too bad cus when it does work it looks so Bad $$$sssss. Just if it could stop freezing every now and then man..you will have one heck of a game!
!