formatting drive???????????

Scott

does anyone know a way around this command. I have tried several attempts to
format my c drive.

message: Format cannot run because the volume is in use by another process.
Format may run if this volume is dismounted first. ALL OPENED HANDLES TO
THIS VOLUME WOULD THEN BE INVALID. Would you like to force a dismount on
this voulme? (Y/N) y
Cannot lock the drive. The volume is still in use.

besides booting from a disk you could also restart in ms-dos mode.

On 02/01/2005 Scott wrote:

> does anyone know a way around this command. I have tried several
> attempts to format my c drive.
>
> message: Format cannot run because the volume is in use by another
> process. Format may run if this volume is dismounted first. ALL
> OPENED HANDLES TO THIS VOLUME WOULD THEN BE INVALID. Would you like
> to force a dismount on this voulme? (Y/N) y
> Cannot lock the drive. The volume is still in use.

Is the operating system on the C: drive?

If so you will not be able to use the OS to effectively delete/destroy
itself. You would need to boot from a CD/floppy and format from there.

--
Jeff Gaines
Posted with XanaNews 1.17.1.2 http://www.wilsonc.demon.co.uk/delphi.htm

Scott wrote:
> does anyone know a way around this command. I have tried several attempts to
> format my c drive.
>
> message: Format cannot run because the volume is in use by another process.
> Format may run if this volume is dismounted first. ALL OPENED HANDLES TO
> THIS VOLUME WOULD THEN BE INVALID. Would you like to force a dismount on
> this voulme? (Y/N) y
> Cannot lock the drive. The volume is still in use.

It sounds like you're trying to format the drive containing the
system volume from within WinXP. You can't. This would be the computer
equivalent of sawing off the tree limb you're sitting on, and WinXP is
"too smart" to allow this.

Simply boot from the WinXP installation CD. You'll be offered the
installation process. (You may need to re-arrange the order of boot

HOW TO Install Windows XP

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

leviethain wrote:
> besides booting from a disk you could also restart in ms-dos mode.

Not on a WinXP machine, he can't. There is no way to reboot a WinXP PC
into Real Mode DOS unless you've set up a dual-boot system. The WinNT
family of 32-bit graphical operating systems, of which WinXP is the
latest generation, has never used, included, or "ridden upon" MS-DOS.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

Hi,

You cannot format the drive while it's in use, this is what the message is
telling you. As "C" is generally the system drive housing the operating
system, in order to format it you need to be outside of the operating
system. Usually this means booting from the WinXP CD or a floppy disk. Why
are you trying to format C, and do you realize that this means the loss of
any data that is currently stored on it (including the operating system)?

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Scott" <Scott @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> does anyone know a way around this command. I have tried several attempts
> format my c drive.
>
> message: Format cannot run because the volume is in use by another
> process.
> Format may run if this volume is dismounted first. ALL OPENED HANDLES TO
> THIS VOLUME WOULD THEN BE INVALID. Would you like to force a dismount on
> this voulme? (Y/N) y
> Cannot lock the drive. The volume is still in use.

"How to partition and format a hard disk in Windows XP"
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;313348

Ted Zieglar

Scott wrote:
> does anyone know a way around this command. I have tried several
> attempts to format my c drive.
>
> message: Format cannot run because the volume is in use by another
> process. Format may run if this volume is dismounted first. ALL
> OPENED HANDLES TO THIS VOLUME WOULD THEN BE INVALID. Would you like
> to force a dismount on this voulme? (Y/N) y
> Cannot lock the drive. The volume is still in use.

Click on the link below, or copy and paste the link into the address box
if using the web based newsgroup.
Format XP
http://michaelstevenstech.com/format_XP.htm
--
Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP
xpnews@bogusmichaelstevenstech.com

if you're trying to format C: from within windows, yes it's in use - you're
running Windows from C:!!