P4T - Computer turns on by itself

Joseph_Bolo

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2001
I have an Asus P4T motherboard. Recently the computer started turning on by itself. So I tried turning off the power supply from the rear, but as soon as I flip this switch back on the computer turns on without touching the front panel switch.

It was not really a problem, but now it is causing system file errors (Computer will not complete boot and I get the screen that says "Replace hal.dll"). I even think it is causing bad sector errors on my hard drive.

I have re-loaded my system about 4 times and the same thing keeps happening - so I guess it can't be a software problem.

I need to solve this to get my system back running.

Is my MB shorting somewhere?

Is my power supply defective?

I would appreciate any solid suggestions.

Civilized

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2001
DUDE I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM......some lil blue guy was chasing me around in my sleep and I kept waking up and my computer would be on playing a lynard skynard mp3....weird stuff....im thinking an exorcism would be the first place to look

<A HREF="http://dnadesignz.kicks-ass.net" target="_new"><b><font color=green>MY SYSTEM</b></font color=green></A>

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
Look in your BIOS, power management...

Is there any irq monitoring going on, is there an alarm set to wake it up by the clock?

Also while in there look at the "state after power loss" (or similar)... if it's set to power on, flipping the switch on the back will start it up.

Another possibility... you are getting brief power interruptions during the night...

<b>(</b>It ain't better if it don't work.<b>)</b>