hp printer slowing to a stop

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.hp.hardware (More info?)

Hi Group,
I am running a p4, 2.66gh with 1 gig of ram. I have two 80gig hard drives
almost empty.

Yet when I come to print on my HP 1220c printer in best format and set to HP
gloss paper, from Adobe Illustrator, file size 80megs approx, the printer
fails to respond.

It appears to be a spooling or setting problem, this was all working fine
until recently, I have used a system restore back two weeks but that makes
no difference.

Can anyone please advise as to what might be the problem?

Thanks in advance to all those that take the time to reply.

David
2 answers Last reply
More about printer slowing stop
  1. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.hp.hardware (More info?)

    "tenchman" <tenchman@spamoff.ie> wrote in message
    > Hi Group,
    > I am running a p4, 2.66gh with 1 gig of ram. I have two 80gig hard drives
    > almost empty.
    >
    > Yet when I come to print on my HP 1220c printer in best format and set to HP
    > gloss paper, from Adobe Illustrator, file size 80megs approx, the printer
    > fails to respond.
    >
    > It appears to be a spooling or setting problem, this was all working fine
    > until recently, I have used a system restore back two weeks but that makes
    > no difference.
    >
    > Can anyone please advise as to what might be the problem?

    Please post some more information about the setup and problem:

    1. What OS?
    2. What are your paging file settings?
    3. Is the printer connected via parallel port or USB? If USB are you using an
    IEEE 1284 cable?
    4. What is the nature of failing to respond - does the green light on the
    power button blink? Does the printer make any noises? Do any of the lights
    come on on the printer? Are there any error messages?
    5. Does the job stay in the spooler queue? If so make sure the printer is not
    set to "paused" or "work offline" in the setup.
    6. Will the printer work OK for small print jobs?
    7. If no for [6] above will the printer print a test page from the toolbox or
    a self test as shown at:
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=us&docname=bpd07098&product=61012&dlc=en&lang=en#N10248
    (using the button sequences for the 900 series printers, they are the same).
    8. If no for [7] then open the lid. The carriage will move to one of 5
    positions corresponding to all OK (happy face), black or color defective
    (unhappy face) or black or color low on ink. Does the carriage move to the
    happy face position?

    Regards,
    MS MVP Printing/Imaging
  2. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.hp.hardware (More info?)

    Hi Bob,
    Thanks for the interest, replies as follows;
    First of all a correction file size should read 8. megs not 80 as first
    stated, just a wee typo.
    1. Operating system: Win XP Pro
    2. Paging file settings ?: Where do I find them
    3 Connections: Usb 1
    4 Failure to respond: Job spools up and print confirmation box appears
    and okay'd
    then nothing happens, power button flashes, and icons appear in systray, no
    paper feed or carriage action.
    5. Spooler Queue: On clicking on the printer icon in systray the
    print queue shows the page as printing, in fact it is impossible to delete
    the job without a reboot. neither work offline or paused are selected.
    6. Small jobs: Other jobs on normal settings work fine, even
    larger files, this only seem to happen when best quality and gloss paper is
    selected.
    7. Test Page: prints a test page fine and fast except when
    tried after trying the gloss paper setting and the previous job is still in
    the list.
    8. Ink Carts: Ink level seems fine.

    Further Info:
    I have a second printer an Hp 870cxi on the parallel port which prints great
    without any problem on the same job which causes problems on the 1220c.,
    from this I would deduce that the problem is printer specific.

    I hope that this might be of help in your considerations and thanks again
    for the interest.

    David

    "Bob Headrick" <bobh@proaxis.com> wrote in message

    > "tenchman" <tenchman@spamoff.ie> wrote in message
    > > Hi Group,
    > > I am running a p4, 2.66gh with 1 gig of ram. I have two 80gig hard
    drives
    > > almost empty.
    > >
    > > Yet when I come to print on my HP 1220c printer in best format and set
    to HP
    > > gloss paper, from Adobe Illustrator, file size 80megs approx, the
    printer
    > > fails to respond.
    > >
    > > It appears to be a spooling or setting problem, this was all working
    fine
    > > until recently, I have used a system restore back two weeks but that
    makes
    > > no difference.
    > >
    > > Can anyone please advise as to what might be the problem?
    >
    > Please post some more information about the setup and problem:
    >
    > 1. What OS?
    > 2. What are your paging file settings?
    > 3. Is the printer connected via parallel port or USB? If USB are you
    using an
    > IEEE 1284 cable?
    > 4. What is the nature of failing to respond - does the green light on the
    > power button blink? Does the printer make any noises? Do any of the
    lights
    > come on on the printer? Are there any error messages?
    > 5. Does the job stay in the spooler queue? If so make sure the printer
    is not
    > set to "paused" or "work offline" in the setup.
    > 6. Will the printer work OK for small print jobs?
    > 7. If no for [6] above will the printer print a test page from the
    toolbox or
    > a self test as shown at:

    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=us&docname=bpd07098&product=61012&dlc=en&lang=en#N10248
    > (using the button sequences for the 900 series printers, they are the
    same).
    > 8. If no for [7] then open the lid. The carriage will move to one of 5
    > positions corresponding to all OK (happy face), black or color defective
    > (unhappy face) or black or color low on ink. Does the carriage move to
    the
    > happy face position?
    >
    > Regards,
    > MS MVP Printing/Imaging

Hewlett Packard Printers Computers HP Printers