hp printer slowing to a stop

Last response: in Computer Brands
a b α HP
July 30, 2004 3:28:48 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.hp.hardware (More info?)

Hi Group,
I am running a p4, 2.66gh with 1 gig of ram. I have two 80gig hard drives
almost empty.

Yet when I come to print on my HP 1220c printer in best format and set to HP
gloss paper, from Adobe Illustrator, file size 80megs approx, the printer
fails to respond.

It appears to be a spooling or setting problem, this was all working fine
until recently, I have used a system restore back two weeks but that makes
no difference.

Can anyone please advise as to what might be the problem?

Thanks in advance to all those that take the time to reply.

David

More about : printer slowing stop

Anonymous
a b α HP
July 30, 2004 3:28:49 AM

"tenchman" <tenchman@spamoff.ie> wrote in message
> Hi Group,
> I am running a p4, 2.66gh with 1 gig of ram. I have two 80gig hard drives
> almost empty.
>
> Yet when I come to print on my HP 1220c printer in best format and set to HP
> gloss paper, from Adobe Illustrator, file size 80megs approx, the printer
> fails to respond.
>
> It appears to be a spooling or setting problem, this was all working fine
> until recently, I have used a system restore back two weeks but that makes
> no difference.
>
> Can anyone please advise as to what might be the problem?

Please post some more information about the setup and problem:

1. What OS?
2. What are your paging file settings?
3. Is the printer connected via parallel port or USB? If USB are you using an
IEEE 1284 cable?
4. What is the nature of failing to respond - does the green light on the
power button blink? Does the printer make any noises? Do any of the lights
come on on the printer? Are there any error messages?
5. Does the job stay in the spooler queue? If so make sure the printer is not
set to "paused" or "work offline" in the setup.
6. Will the printer work OK for small print jobs?
7. If no for [6] above will the printer print a test page from the toolbox or
a self test as shown at:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=us...
(using the button sequences for the 900 series printers, they are the same).
8. If no for [7] then open the lid. The carriage will move to one of 5
positions corresponding to all OK (happy face), black or color defective
(unhappy face) or black or color low on ink. Does the carriage move to the
happy face position?

Regards,
MS MVP Printing/Imaging
Anonymous
a b α HP
July 30, 2004 9:42:59 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.hp.hardware (More info?)

Hi Bob,
Thanks for the interest, replies as follows;
First of all a correction file size should read 8. megs not 80 as first
stated, just a wee typo.
1. Operating system: Win XP Pro
2. Paging file settings ?: Where do I find them
3 Connections: Usb 1
4 Failure to respond: Job spools up and print confirmation box appears
and okay'd
then nothing happens, power button flashes, and icons appear in systray, no
paper feed or carriage action.
5. Spooler Queue: On clicking on the printer icon in systray the
print queue shows the page as printing, in fact it is impossible to delete
the job without a reboot. neither work offline or paused are selected.
6. Small jobs: Other jobs on normal settings work fine, even
larger files, this only seem to happen when best quality and gloss paper is
selected.
7. Test Page: prints a test page fine and fast except when
tried after trying the gloss paper setting and the previous job is still in
the list.
8. Ink Carts: Ink level seems fine.

Further Info:
I have a second printer an Hp 870cxi on the parallel port which prints great
without any problem on the same job which causes problems on the 1220c.,
from this I would deduce that the problem is printer specific.

I hope that this might be of help in your considerations and thanks again
for the interest.

David

!