Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Security Alert : Adware Installed through WMA Files

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
January 3, 2005 1:31:35 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,12245912~mode=fl...

" In short, the well-known copyright management/protection firm Overpeer
has figured out how to install adware through Windows Media files. The
technique exploits features of the Windows Media DRM functionality to
launch special Internet Explorer windows that display popup ads and that
also attempt to download and install adware/spyware. This happens when
the user opens the Windows Media file for playing.

Some might be tempted to dismiss this new method for distributing adware
and spyware as a risk only for those using P2P networks. That snap
judgement would be a mistaken and misguided one, though. The P2P file
sharing angle on this story is a red herring.

The problem here involves the DRM features of Windows Media, and those
features create a new and potentially very effective means for adware
vendors to push unwanted software on unsuspecting users who have no
interest whatsoever in using P2P networks to trade unauthorized music
files."<snipped>


MowGreen [MVP]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============
January 3, 2005 12:16:23 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Help,

My autostart has stopped working. I have AVG as virus detection. It
worked up until I installed SP2. I have restored back before the SP2
installation but can not get autostart working. It wouldn't be a
problem except when installing programs with multiple disks, the
installation locks up the computer when I insert the second disk.

Autostart is turned on when I check the properties of the Cdrw and dvd
drives. Any help would be appreciated.

Denny
Anonymous
January 4, 2005 2:05:57 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Enlightening article. I know this isn't a media newsgroup, but what media
players is everyone using?

And, how is an anti-spyware scanner different from a spyware pretention
utility?

Lois


"MowGreen [MVP]" <mowgreen@nowandzen.com> wrote in message
news:o MiVa3V8EHA.1396@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,12245912~mode=fl...
>
> " In short, the well-known copyright management/protection firm Overpeer
> has figured out how to install adware through Windows Media files. The
> technique exploits features of the Windows Media DRM functionality to
> launch special Internet Explorer windows that display popup ads and that
> also attempt to download and install adware/spyware. This happens when the
> user opens the Windows Media file for playing.
>
> Some might be tempted to dismiss this new method for distributing adware
> and spyware as a risk only for those using P2P networks. That snap
> judgement would be a mistaken and misguided one, though. The P2P file
> sharing angle on this story is a red herring.
>
> The problem here involves the DRM features of Windows Media, and those
> features create a new and potentially very effective means for adware
> vendors to push unwanted software on unsuspecting users who have no
> interest whatsoever in using P2P networks to trade unauthorized music
> files."<snipped>
>
>
> MowGreen [MVP]
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============
Anonymous
January 4, 2005 9:04:14 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 23:05:57 -0500, "Lois G."
<legalois10pounds@erols.com> wrote in
microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers:

>Enlightening article. I know this isn't a media newsgroup, but what media
>players is everyone using?
[snip]

In decreasing preference:
MPlayer2
MPlayerC (Media Player Classic)*
RUNDLL32 %SystemRoot%\AMOVIE.OCX,RunDll
MPlay32
[daylight]
WMPlayer

All Microsoft, except: *
<http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=8...;

>"MowGreen [MVP]" <mowgreen@nowandzen.com> wrote in message
>news:o MiVa3V8EHA.1396@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>> http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,12245912~mode=fl...
>>
>> " In short, the well-known copyright management/protection firm Overpeer
>> has figured out how to install adware through Windows Media files. The
>> technique exploits features of the Windows Media DRM functionality to
>> launch special Internet Explorer windows that display popup ads and that
>> also attempt to download and install adware/spyware. This happens when the
>> user opens the Windows Media file for playing.
>>
>> Some might be tempted to dismiss this new method for distributing adware
>> and spyware as a risk only for those using P2P networks. That snap
>> judgement would be a mistaken and misguided one, though. The P2P file
>> sharing angle on this story is a red herring.
>>
>> The problem here involves the DRM features of Windows Media, and those
>> features create a new and potentially very effective means for adware
>> vendors to push unwanted software on unsuspecting users who have no
>> interest whatsoever in using P2P networks to trade unauthorized music
>> files."<snipped>

--
Michael Bednarek http://mbednarek.com/ "POST NO BILLS"
!