Is it safe to delete all desktop.ini and *.gid files?

Thanks.

Bill Ridgeway

Hi

Not the desktop.ini files, but the .GID files can be deleted. Although the
..GID files will be re-created whenever you use a help file.

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

"Bill Ridgeway" <info@1001solutions.co.uk> wrote in message
> Is it safe to delete all desktop.ini and *.gid files?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Bill Ridgeway

Thanks. So what are the desktop.ini for please.

Bill Ridgeway

> Hi
>
> Not the desktop.ini files, but the .GID files can be deleted. Although
> the .GID files will be re-created whenever you use a help file.
>
> --
>

> Will Denny
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups
>

> "Bill Ridgeway" <info@1001solutions.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Is it safe to delete all desktop.ini and *.gid files?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Bill Ridgeway

Desktop.ini describes the characteristics of a folder. For example, if you
have customized the icon for a folder, that information is contained in that
folder's desktop.ini file. Delete it, and folder goes back to the default
icon.

If you delete desktop.ini in a Windows system folder - My Documents, for
example - it will be recreated the next time you restart your computer.
--
Ted Zieglar

> Thanks. So what are the desktop.ini for please.
>
> Bill Ridgeway

> > Hi
> >
> > Not the desktop.ini files, but the .GID files can be deleted. Although
> > the .GID files will be re-created whenever you use a help file.
> >
> > --
> >

> > Will Denny
> > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> > Please reply to the News Groups
> >

> > "Bill Ridgeway" <info@1001solutions.co.uk> wrote in message
> >> Is it safe to delete all desktop.ini and *.gid files?
> >>
> >> Thanks.
> >>
> >> Bill Ridgeway

Thanks.

So, contrary to advice from Ted Zieglar, it would seem that you are saying
that it is safe to delete all desktop.ini files. I appreciate that these
contribute a small use of disk space but, on principal, I just don't like
unnecessary files cluttering up the place. Probably comes from the days
when we didn't have oceans of space available.

Bill Ridgeway

On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 22:48:20 GMT, "Bill Ridgeway" <info@1001solutions.co.uk>
wrote:

>Thanks.
>
>So, contrary to advice from Ted Zieglar, it would seem that you are saying
>that it is safe to delete all desktop.ini files. I appreciate that these
>contribute a small use of disk space but, on principal, I just don't like
>unnecessary files cluttering up the place. Probably comes from the days
>when we didn't have oceans of space available.
>
>Bill Ridgeway
If you're using XP, I'd say that war's lost. XP is the worst space waster of
any OS windows ever made. It creates stuff in places you didn't know there were
places.
If you're wasting time trying to clean up the mess of redundant files, it's not
going to happen.
Just by having a 1 user setup, automatically creates a DUPE of ALL users, and
ADMIN folders.
That can amount to 600 megs or more of redundancy.
And then there's those hidden folders that you can't even see.

This is the money tree that M$ has been trying to grow since the 1st z80 sold
for $500 and it was just a PC board, no keyboard, monitor or any peripherals.
The only thing you can do, is delete those things you can do without that you
can find.
Pong was more advanced than that thing.

>"Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote in message
>> Desktop.ini describes the characteristics of a folder. For example, if you
>> have customized the icon for a folder, that information is contained in
>> that
>> folder's desktop.ini file. Delete it, and folder goes back to the default
>> icon.
>>
>> If you delete desktop.ini in a Windows system folder - My Documents, for
>> example - it will be recreated the next time you restart your computer.
>> --
>> Ted Zieglar
>>

>> "Bill Ridgeway" <info@1001solutions.co.uk> wrote in message
>>> Thanks. So what are the desktop.ini for please.
>>>
>>> Bill Ridgeway
>>>
>>> "Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org> wrote in message

It's safe to delete the desktop.ini files but, really, why bother? The
desktop.ini for Windows system files will just be recreated, and the only
one you are hurting by deleting the other desktop.ini is yourself.

You attempts to conserve disk space by deleting useful files that occupy a
miniscule amount of your hard disk are misguided.

Ted Zieglar

"Husky" <cbminfo@toast.net> wrote in message
| On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 22:48:20 GMT, "Bill Ridgeway"
<info@1001solutions.co.uk>
| wrote:
|
| >Thanks.
| >
| >So, contrary to advice from Ted Zieglar, it would seem that you are
saying
| >that it is safe to delete all desktop.ini files. I appreciate that these
| >contribute a small use of disk space but, on principal, I just don't like
| >unnecessary files cluttering up the place. Probably comes from the days
| >when we didn't have oceans of space available.
| >
| >Bill Ridgeway
| If you're using XP, I'd say that war's lost. XP is the worst space waster
of
| any OS windows ever made. It creates stuff in places you didn't know there
were
| places.
| If you're wasting time trying to clean up the mess of redundant files,
it's not
| going to happen.
| Just by having a 1 user setup, automatically creates a DUPE of ALL users,
and
| ADMIN folders.
| That can amount to 600 megs or more of redundancy.
| And then there's those hidden folders that you can't even see.
|
| This is the money tree that M$ has been trying to grow since the 1st z80
sold
| for $500 and it was just a PC board, no keyboard, monitor or any
peripherals.
| The only thing you can do, is delete those things you can do without that
you
| can find.
| Pong was more advanced than that thing.

The "redundancy" you refer to exists only in your own tiny mind. There is no
duplication; just "pointers" to a single folder that occupy less space than
your brain does in your cranium.

On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 10:50:30 -0600, "Raymond J. Johnson Jr." <RayJay@nospam.org>
wrote:

600 megs is NOT a Ghost image. And I doubt very seriously if I have 3 gigs of
pointers.
My 1st attempt at cleaning up this mess was when there was 600 megs in a folder
that SHOULD have been nothing but shortcuts.
I still have to do a even compare to the admin and my account every once in
awhile when something sticks something in the wrong place and I notice it. Then
just move all to my account.
The admin account has NEVER worked.

>The "redundancy" you refer to exists only in your own tiny mind. There is no
>duplication; just "pointers" to a single folder that occupy less space than
>your brain does in your cranium.

Steady on Raymond. There's no need for that sort of unhelpful comment on
this NG!!

Regards.

Bill Ridgeway

Bill Ridgeway wrote:
> Steady on Raymond. There's no need for that sort of unhelpful comment on
> this NG!!
>
> Regards.
>
> Bill Ridgeway
> "Raymond J. Johnson Jr." <RayJay@nospam.org> wrote in message
>
>>"Husky" <cbminfo@toast.net> wrote in message
>>| On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 22:48:20 GMT, "Bill Ridgeway"
>><info@1001solutions.co.uk>

>>saying
>>these
>>like
>>days

>>| If you're using XP, I'd say that war's lost. XP is the worst space
>>waster
>>of
>>| any OS windows ever made. It creates stuff in places you didn't know
>>there
>>were
>>| places.
>>| If you're wasting time trying to clean up the mess of redundant files,
>>it's not
>>| going to happen.
>>| Just by having a 1 user setup, automatically creates a DUPE of ALL
>>users,
>>and
>>| ADMIN folders.
>>| That can amount to 600 megs or more of redundancy.
>>| And then there's those hidden folders that you can't even see.
>>|
>>| This is the money tree that M$ has been trying to grow since the 1st z80
>>sold
>>| for $500 and it was just a PC board, no keyboard, monitor or any
>>peripherals.
>>| The only thing you can do, is delete those things you can do without
>>that
>>you
>>| can find.
>>| Pong was more advanced than that thing.
>>|

>>The "redundancy" you refer to exists only in your own tiny mind. There is
>>no
>>duplication; just "pointers" to a single folder that occupy less space
>>than
>>your brain does in your cranium.

Sorry, I wasn't aware that you were the Unhelpful-Comment Monitor. I'll
be more careful in the future.