System recovery - big mistake made!

I do hope someone can help. I have done a very silly thing. When I went to
turn on my PC, I had left a floppy disc in drive A. The PC came up with a
message "unable to start NTLDR" and I assumed there was a major problem. So
I ran the system recovery disc. All my work is still on the PC, but the
settings are all to pot. Is there an easy way of undoing this silly mistake
or of reestablishing the settings I had previously in place? Help greatly
appreciated!
6 answers Last reply
More about system recovery mistake made

    No, there is no way to undo what you did.

    To resolve the error message, all you needed to do was to remove the floppy
    disk and then restart your computer.

    Usually, the so-called recovery disks that come with some PCs erase your
    hard drive and restore the software that was on the computer when it left
    the factory. If you still have all your work on your computer, you probably
    didn't use the recovery disks. Perhaps you meant that you reinstalled
    Windows from the Windows installation CD? That doesn't affect your own
    documents, it just over-writes Windows. The system settings are returned to
    the default for the most part. You can always setup the computer the way you
    like it all over again. You have a working computer and you have all your
    work, so be glad for that.

    In future, don't be so fast to do something drastic to your computer. It's
    much better to solve the problem and then understand what went wrong, so you
    can avoid the same problem in future.
    --
    Ted Zieglar

    "The knitted bloke" <Theknittedbloke@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:FCFD9F40-C3CD-4042-A2FA-658FCD3C993B@microsoft.com...
    > I do hope someone can help. I have done a very silly thing. When I went
    > turn on my PC, I had left a floppy disc in drive A. The PC came up with a
    > message "unable to start NTLDR" and I assumed there was a major problem.
    So
    > I ran the system recovery disc. All my work is still on the PC, but the
    > settings are all to pot. Is there an easy way of undoing this silly
    mistake
    > or of reestablishing the settings I had previously in place? Help greatly
    > appreciated!

    "The knitted bloke" <Theknittedbloke@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
    in message news:FCFD9F40-C3CD-4042-A2FA-658FCD3C993B@microsoft.com
    > I do hope someone can help. I have done a very silly thing. When I
    > went to turn on my PC, I had left a floppy disc in drive A. The PC
    > came up with a message "unable to start NTLDR" and I assumed there
    > was a major problem. So I ran the system recovery disc. All my work
    > is still on the PC, but the settings are all to pot. Is there an
    > easy way of undoing this silly mistake or of reestablishing the
    > settings I had previously in place? Help greatly appreciated!

    If you used a System Recovery (more accurately Restore) CD from the
    manufacturer there is no way to recover what you had before.

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

    Can you tell us more about how you did the System Recovery? what type of
    disc was it and how did you perform the recovery? How do you know your work
    is still on the PC? Which settings are you having trouble with?

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    "The knitted bloke" <Theknittedbloke@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:FCFD9F40-C3CD-4042-A2FA-658FCD3C993B@microsoft.com...
    | I do hope someone can help. I have done a very silly thing. When I went
    | turn on my PC, I had left a floppy disc in drive A. The PC came up with a
    | message "unable to start NTLDR" and I assumed there was a major problem.
    So
    | I ran the system recovery disc. All my work is still on the PC, but the
    | settings are all to pot. Is there an easy way of undoing this silly
    mistake
    | or of reestablishing the settings I had previously in place? Help greatly
    | appreciated!

    Thanks for your reply. Yes, I have an Advent PC with XP home edition as the
    operating system. From memory, there are three options in the recovery menu
    and I elected for the least severe (reinstall operting system without
    affecting other work or files). The PC boots up slowly, but the screen
    resolution is very low (4 bit colour quality, etc) and can't be changed via
    the control panel. There are multiple error messages when it all loads up
    and I key in my password. Then when I try to copy my work (which I can see)
    to discs - CD, floppy or DVD - it won't allow me to do it. There's no drag a
    drop facility, for example, and it won't allow me to individually save word
    documents to a floppy. The frustration is that all the content is there, but
    the PC is effectively useless. I have tried saving work in safe mode to
    other discs, but it doesn't like that either. I have thousands of hours of
    work on the PC. Any hope?

    "Harry Ohrn" wrote:

    > Can you tell us more about how you did the System Recovery? what type of
    > disc was it and how did you perform the recovery? How do you know your work
    > is still on the PC? Which settings are you having trouble with?
    >
    > --
    >
    > Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    > www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
    >

    > "The knitted bloke" <Theknittedbloke@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    > message news:FCFD9F40-C3CD-4042-A2FA-658FCD3C993B@microsoft.com...
    > | I do hope someone can help. I have done a very silly thing. When I went
    > | turn on my PC, I had left a floppy disc in drive A. The PC came up with a
    > | message "unable to start NTLDR" and I assumed there was a major problem.
    > So
    > | I ran the system recovery disc. All my work is still on the PC, but the
    > | settings are all to pot. Is there an easy way of undoing this silly
    > mistake
    > | or of reestablishing the settings I had previously in place? Help greatly
    > | appreciated!

    You have a lot of work on your PC but haven't backed it up already? From now
    on make certain you do.

    In order to work with your current files you will likely have to take
    ownership of them. Check this link out for instructions on how to do that
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308421

    Now get your important data copied to CD or DVD. For that you might need to
    install third party software if you can't get XP's software to work for you.
    Right click your CD/DVD Burner device and select Properties->Recording Tab
    and check the box to Enable recording on this device. then see if you can
    copy the files to CD. XP can not write to DVD without additional software.
    If you don't have third party CD/DVD writing software you can install the
    freeware program CDBurnerXP Pro. It is a good product and can burn to either
    CD or DVD http://www.cdburnerxp.se/

    An excellent option if you can afford it is to use third party imaging
    software like Acronis TrueImage or Symantec Ghost. That way you can burn an
    image (exact copy but in a image file format) to CD or DVD. You then have
    all your current data safely backed up and can mess around with the system
    to your heart's content.

    Once you've safely tucked away your important work I'd suggest that you do a
    fresh install of XP and start over again.

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    "The knitted bloke" <Theknittedbloke@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:6717579C-B7A6-4182-96E2-69E495DECDA7@microsoft.com...
    > Thanks for your reply. Yes, I have an Advent PC with XP home edition as
    > the
    > operating system. From memory, there are three options in the recovery
    > menu
    > and I elected for the least severe (reinstall operting system without
    > affecting other work or files). The PC boots up slowly, but the screen
    > resolution is very low (4 bit colour quality, etc) and can't be changed
    > via
    > the control panel. There are multiple error messages when it all loads up
    > and I key in my password. Then when I try to copy my work (which I can
    > see)
    > to discs - CD, floppy or DVD - it won't allow me to do it. There's no
    > drag a
    > drop facility, for example, and it won't allow me to individually save
    > word
    > documents to a floppy. The frustration is that all the content is there,
    > but
    > the PC is effectively useless. I have tried saving work in safe mode to
    > other discs, but it doesn't like that either. I have thousands of hours
    > of
    > work on the PC. Any hope?
    >
    > "Harry Ohrn" wrote:
    >
    >> Can you tell us more about how you did the System Recovery? what type of
    >> disc was it and how did you perform the recovery? How do you know your
    >> work
    >> is still on the PC? Which settings are you having trouble with?
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    >> www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
    >>

    >> "The knitted bloke" <Theknittedbloke@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    >> message news:FCFD9F40-C3CD-4042-A2FA-658FCD3C993B@microsoft.com...
    >> | I do hope someone can help. I have done a very silly thing. When I
    >> went
    >> | turn on my PC, I had left a floppy disc in drive A. The PC came up
    >> with a
    >> | message "unable to start NTLDR" and I assumed there was a major
    >> problem.
    >> So
    >> | I ran the system recovery disc. All my work is still on the PC, but
    >> the
    >> | settings are all to pot. Is there an easy way of undoing this silly
    >> mistake
    >> | or of reestablishing the settings I had previously in place? Help
    >> greatly
    >> | appreciated!

    Harry - thanks very much for the suggestions. I almost got there (took
    owenership of folders in safe mode, etc), but when I right click on the
    device, I get the menu with properties at the bottom, but when clicking on
    properties, nothing happens. Is there another way to get around this? I
    can't do this or install other software if I can't get the DVD RW drive to
    work. Any additional advice gratefully received!

    "Harry Ohrn" wrote:

> [...]
    > > see)
    > > to discs - CD, floppy or DVD - it won't allow me to do it. There's no
    > > drag a
    > > drop facility, for example, and it won't allow me to individually save
    > > word
    > > documents to a floppy. The frustration is that all the content is there,
    > > but
    > > the PC is effectively useless. I have tried saving work in safe mode to
    > > other discs, but it doesn't like that either. I have thousands of hours
    > > of
    > > work on the PC. Any hope?
    > >
    > > "Harry Ohrn" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Can you tell us more about how you did the System Recovery? what type of
    > >> disc was it and how did you perform the recovery? How do you know your
    > >> work
    > >> is still on the PC? Which settings are you having trouble with?

Floppy Disk Microsoft System Recovery Windows XP