Is a 32GB SSD big enough for Windows 8?

voiidwulf

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2012
I currently have my 32GB SSD setup to use Intel SRT. With Windows 8, I was considering installing the OS on my SSD and using my 2TB for programs and whatnot. Will the SSD be big enough? All that would be installed is Windows and probably Chrome.

Thanks,

Solution
The consumer preview was about 6-7 gigs fully installed. The Swap file or virtual memory file is roughly the same as the ram amount, up to 8 gigs. I have never seen it larger than 8 gigs. The hybernation file is equal to the amount of ram. So if your computer has 8 gigs of ram expect windows 8 to take up about 24 gigs on a clean install.

On the bright side if it is a desk top you may not even use hybernation so you can dissable that and get the 8 gigs back. If you have 8 or more gigs of ram you don't really need virtual memory so you can disable that or you can lock it at 1 gig. In short with a little tweaking you can make windows 8 use only around 10 gigs.

bucknutty

Distinguished
The consumer preview was about 6-7 gigs fully installed. The Swap file or virtual memory file is roughly the same as the ram amount, up to 8 gigs. I have never seen it larger than 8 gigs. The hybernation file is equal to the amount of ram. So if your computer has 8 gigs of ram expect windows 8 to take up about 24 gigs on a clean install.

On the bright side if it is a desk top you may not even use hybernation so you can dissable that and get the 8 gigs back. If you have 8 or more gigs of ram you don't really need virtual memory so you can disable that or you can lock it at 1 gig. In short with a little tweaking you can make windows 8 use only around 10 gigs.

Solution

voiidwulf

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2012
I have 16GB of RAM. How much space would it take up?

Also, I was just thinking of something. With the 14.99 upgrade to Windows 8 Pro, could I even put it on the SSD or would I have to put it on the HDD and manually move it or something.

bucknutty

Distinguished
From what I read they are allowing people who get the windows 8 upgrade to do clean installs. You would really have to read the fine print when you order.

Im thinking that with 16 gigs of ram the windows install will end up at about 30 gigs. But as soon as you disable hybernation you will get back 16 gigs. Then if you dissable virtual memory you will end up around 10 gigs of windows and 20 gigs free.

azathoth

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011

With 16GB of RAM, disable the pagefile completely, and IMO hibernation is redundant vs the SSD boot-up times and sleep mode. Disable that aswell.

Apristian30

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2011
Hey Buck, about what you were saying. Can you tell me how to disable hibernate and the page file. Im sure i can figure it out but if i got a reply from you before i spend all the time looking it up that would be sweet.