HP deskjet 3650 installation problem

Today I bought a new deskjet 3650. But when I try to install it, it doesn't
get recognized. The setup asks to plug the USB-cable in, however when I plug
it in, nothing happens. Both utilities in the SystemCheck map on the CD
report that my system (AMD K6 333Mhz, 128Mb, win'98) is fully compatible
with the printer.
The printer itself powers on normaly, I was able to install the inkt
cartridges.

Patrik
2 answers Last reply
More about deskjet 3650 installation problem

    "RedX" <redx@pandora.be> schreef in bericht
    > Today I bought a new deskjet 3650. But when I try to install it, it
    doesn't
    > get recognized. The setup asks to plug the USB-cable in, however when I
    plug
    > it in, nothing happens. Both utilities in the SystemCheck map on the CD
    > report that my system (AMD K6 333Mhz, 128Mb, win'98) is fully compatible
    > with the printer.
    > The printer itself powers on normaly, I was able to install the inkt
    > cartridges.
    >
    > Patrik

    After buying and trying a webcam I figured out what the problem was. The
    USB-controller on my main board was an older USB V1.0 controller. The
    printer apparently needs a V2.00. I bought a new PCI to USB card. Now both
    the printer and webcam work perfectly.

    Thanks Matthew Orr for your helpful reply.

    Patrik

    Yes, most any brand-new USB device on the market meets the USB 2.0 spec. Some,
    but not all, have backward compatibility to USB 1.1, and a few are backward
    compatible to USB 1.0. On the other hand, almost any Socket 7 motherboard with
    built-in USB has the 1.0 or 1.1 variety.

    This is a case where the formal standard, the USB spec, calls for one thing,
    namely backward compatibility. But the actual implementation is not backward
    compatible because of the higher costs of added design and testing to meet an
    older spec.

    Finally, almost everyone in the industry will admit that USB 1.0 was not born
    right, and only beginning with USB 1.1 did the interface even begin to live up
    to its promise of easy plug-and-play and foolproof operation... Ben Myers

    On Wed, 04 Aug 2004 12:29:18 GMT, "RedX" <redx@pandora.be> wrote:

    >"RedX" <redx@pandora.be> schreef in bericht
    >> Today I bought a new deskjet 3650. But when I try to install it, it
    >doesn't
    >> get recognized. The setup asks to plug the USB-cable in, however when I
    >plug
    >> it in, nothing happens. Both utilities in the SystemCheck map on the CD
    >> report that my system (AMD K6 333Mhz, 128Mb, win'98) is fully compatible
    >> with the printer.
    >> The printer itself powers on normaly, I was able to install the inkt
    >> cartridges.
    >>
    >> Patrik
    >
    >After buying and trying a webcam I figured out what the problem was. The
    >USB-controller on my main board was an older USB V1.0 controller. The
    >printer apparently needs a V2.00. I bought a new PCI to USB card. Now both
    >the printer and webcam work perfectly.
    >
    >Thanks Matthew Orr for your helpful reply.
    >
    >Patrik

Hewlett Packard Deskjet Printers Computers