HP deskjet 3650 installation problem

RedX

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2004

Today I bought a new deskjet 3650. But when I try to install it, it doesn't
get recognized. The setup asks to plug the USB-cable in, however when I plug
it in, nothing happens. Both utilities in the SystemCheck map on the CD
report that my system (AMD K6 333Mhz, 128Mb, win'98) is fully compatible
with the printer.
The printer itself powers on normaly, I was able to install the inkt
cartridges.

Patrik

RedX

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2004

"RedX" <redx@pandora.be> schreef in bericht
> Today I bought a new deskjet 3650. But when I try to install it, it
doesn't
> get recognized. The setup asks to plug the USB-cable in, however when I
plug
> it in, nothing happens. Both utilities in the SystemCheck map on the CD
> report that my system (AMD K6 333Mhz, 128Mb, win'98) is fully compatible
> with the printer.
> The printer itself powers on normaly, I was able to install the inkt
> cartridges.
>
> Patrik

After buying and trying a webcam I figured out what the problem was. The
USB-controller on my main board was an older USB V1.0 controller. The
printer apparently needs a V2.00. I bought a new PCI to USB card. Now both
the printer and webcam work perfectly.

Thanks Matthew Orr for your helpful reply.

Patrik

Yes, most any brand-new USB device on the market meets the USB 2.0 spec. Some,
but not all, have backward compatibility to USB 1.1, and a few are backward
compatible to USB 1.0. On the other hand, almost any Socket 7 motherboard with
built-in USB has the 1.0 or 1.1 variety.

This is a case where the formal standard, the USB spec, calls for one thing,
namely backward compatibility. But the actual implementation is not backward
compatible because of the higher costs of added design and testing to meet an
older spec.

Finally, almost everyone in the industry will admit that USB 1.0 was not born
right, and only beginning with USB 1.1 did the interface even begin to live up
to its promise of easy plug-and-play and foolproof operation... Ben Myers