Wireless connection on but DNS error

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
August 28, 2004 2:28:14 PM

All new 802.11g NETGEAR equipment

I have a good connection indicated from new PCI wireless g card on win 2k
machine to new wgr614 router and recognized on router.

Problem: DNS error when using IE 6.x. IE settings are correct for LAN setup.
Starts looking for proxy server then DNS error instead of connecting to
internet.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 28, 2004 2:28:15 PM

Open up a command prompt and type "ipconfig /all" and look for the Gateway
and DNS server entries.

-Yves

"Terence" <tnc3p@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> All new 802.11g NETGEAR equipment
>
> I have a good connection indicated from new PCI wireless g card on win 2k
> machine to new wgr614 router and recognized on router.
>
> Problem: DNS error when using IE 6.x. IE settings are correct for LAN
> setup. Starts looking for proxy server then DNS error instead of
> connecting to internet.

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 28, 2004 6:18:20 PM

"Yves Konigshofer" <yvesk@sStTaAnNfFoOrRdD.edu> wrote in message
> Open up a command prompt and type "ipconfig /all" and look for the Gateway
> and DNS server entries.
>
> -Yves
>
> "Terence" <tnc3p@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> All new 802.11g NETGEAR equipment
>>
>> I have a good connection indicated from new PCI wireless g card on win 2k
>> machine to new wgr614 router and recognized on router.
>>
>> Problem: DNS error when using IE 6.x. IE settings are correct for LAN
>> setup. Starts looking for proxy server then DNS error instead of
>> connecting to internet.

Updated/reinstalled to make sure latest firmware

Made connection and internet access, then dropped ("network cable unplugged"
message) after 30 sec, reconnected to router spontaneously, but then DNS
error again. Still appears on router "attached devices" list.

ipconfig/all gives:

Hostname terence
Primary DNS suffix BLANK
Node type Broadcast
IP routing no
WINS proxy no

auto config address is 169.254.248.70
subnet mask 255.255.0.0
Default gaetway BLANK
DNS BLANK

I dont know what the h*ll is going on with this
a b F Wireless
August 28, 2004 6:18:21 PM

The 169.254... address means that you are not being assigned an IP address
from the router's DHCP server. You should be in the same subnet as the
router and the router's IP address (usually something like 192.168.1.1)
should be found in the gateway entry.

If you connect to your router by ethernet cable (not wireless), are you
assigned an IP address in the router's subnet (i.e. one that starts with
192.168.1)?

Have you enabled encryption? Have you tried resetting the router to its
factory configuration? Is the router being assigned an IP address from your
cable|DSL modem (check the configuration screens)?

You may also want to use the event viewer (control panel->administrative
tools->event viewer) and look at the system events to see if there is
something related to Dhcp or Tcpip at the times when you try to connect.

> "Yves Konigshofer" <yvesk@sStTaAnNfFoOrRdD.edu> wrote in message
>> Open up a command prompt and type "ipconfig /all" and look for the
>> Gateway and DNS server entries.
>>
>> -Yves
>>
>> "Terence" <tnc3p@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> All new 802.11g NETGEAR equipment
>>>
>>> I have a good connection indicated from new PCI wireless g card on win
>>> 2k machine to new wgr614 router and recognized on router.
>>>
>>> Problem: DNS error when using IE 6.x. IE settings are correct for LAN
>>> setup. Starts looking for proxy server then DNS error instead of
>>> connecting to internet.
>>>

> Updated/reinstalled to make sure latest firmware
>
> Made connection and internet access, then dropped ("network cable
> unplugged" message) after 30 sec, reconnected to router spontaneously, but
> then DNS error again. Still appears on router "attached devices" list.
>
> ipconfig/all gives:
>
> Hostname terence
> Primary DNS suffix BLANK
> Node type Broadcast
> IP routing no
> WINS proxy no
>
> auto config address is 169.254.248.70
> subnet mask 255.255.0.0
> Default gaetway BLANK
> DNS BLANK
>
> I dont know what the h*ll is going on with this

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 28, 2004 8:19:09 PM

> The 169.254... address means that you are not being assigned an IP address
> from the router's DHCP server. You should be in the same subnet as the
> router and the router's IP address (usually something like 192.168.1.1)
> should be found in the gateway entry.
>
> If you connect to your router by ethernet cable (not wireless), are you
> assigned an IP address in the router's subnet (i.e. one that starts with
> 192.168.1)?
>
> Have you enabled encryption? Have you tried resetting the router to its
> factory configuration? Is the router being assigned an IP address from
> your cable|DSL modem (check the configuration screens)?
>
> You may also want to use the event viewer (control panel->administrative
> tools->event viewer) and look at the system events to see if there is
> something related to Dhcp or Tcpip at the times when you try to connect.
>
> -Yves
>
> "Terence" <tnc3p@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Yves Konigshofer" <yvesk@sStTaAnNfFoOrRdD.edu> wrote in message
>>> Open up a command prompt and type "ipconfig /all" and look for the
>>> Gateway and DNS server entries.
>>>
>>> -Yves
>>>
>>> "Terence" <tnc3p@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>> Updated/reinstalled to make sure latest firmware
>>
>> Made connection and internet access, then dropped ("network cable
>> unplugged" message) after 30 sec, reconnected to router spontaneously,
>> but then DNS error again. Still appears on router "attached devices"
>> list.
>>
>> ipconfig/all gives:
>>
>> Hostname terence
>> Primary DNS suffix BLANK
>> Node type Broadcast
>> IP routing no
>> WINS proxy no
>>
>> auto config address is 169.254.248.70
>> subnet mask 255.255.0.0
>> Default gaetway BLANK
>> DNS BLANK
>>
>> I dont know what the h*ll is going on with this

agree re DHCP failure, pretty obvious

I assigned a static address and gateway etc. and was internet connected,
again briefly, then dropped, then reconnected to network on the connection
monitor but no dice on internet connection.

I uninstalled and replaced TCP/IP (before above). There must be a problem in
my registry on the Win2K machine; the hardware seems to work but there is a
persistent reproducible failure only on that machine. My WinXPP machines
connect no problem (as well as print server and replay TV, fwiw).

Any thoughts welcome (I hope you will tell me to beat the machine with a bat
into tiny pieces).
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 28, 2004 8:39:43 PM

"Terence" <tnc3p@yahoo.com> wrote in

> All new 802.11g NETGEAR equipment
>
> I have a good connection indicated from new PCI wireless g card on win
> 2k machine to new wgr614 router and recognized on router.
>
> Problem: DNS error when using IE 6.x. IE settings are correct for LAN
> setup. Starts looking for proxy server then DNS error instead of
> connecting to internet.

What IP are you getting when you enter IPconfig at the DOS Prompt?

Duane :)
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 28, 2004 11:14:09 PM

"Terence" <tnc3p@yahoo.com> wrote:
>auto config address is 169.254.248.70
>subnet mask 255.255.0.0
>Default gaetway BLANK
>DNS BLANK

You don't have a connection to the router, so your computer made up
it's own address (in the autoconfiguration block 169.254.*.*).
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 28, 2004 11:46:08 PM

"Terence" <tnc3p@yahoo.com> wrote:
>I assigned a static address and gateway etc. and was internet connected,
>again briefly, then dropped, then reconnected to network on the connection
>monitor but no dice on internet connection.

Sounds like a lower level (hardware) problem. Are you near your
router? Try putting your computer right next to your router and see
if that works.

Are you using any security? Just for the sake of eliminating
problems, try removing all security from the link.

Also, I assume you've gotten all the latest driver and firmware
updates for your router and and the WiFi device in your laptop?
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 29, 2004 2:38:49 AM

>>> Made connection and internet access, then dropped ("network cable
>>> unplugged" message) after 30 sec, reconnected to router
>>> spontaneously, but then DNS error again. Still appears on router
>>> "attached devices" list.

It seems that the card or the router maybe defective. If you put the card
in another machine does the problem follow?

Duane :)
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 29, 2004 7:53:04 PM

<William P.N. Smith> wrote in message
> "Terence" <tnc3p@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>I assigned a static address and gateway etc. and was internet connected,
>>again briefly, then dropped, then reconnected to network on the connection
>>monitor but no dice on internet connection.
>
> Sounds like a lower level (hardware) problem. Are you near your
> router? Try putting your computer right next to your router and see
> if that works.
>
> Are you using any security? Just for the sake of eliminating
> problems, try removing all security from the link.
>
> Also, I assume you've gotten all the latest driver and firmware
> updates for your router and and the WiFi device in your laptop?

Firmware all latest

No WEP/WPA

FWIW, part of the reason I upgraded was occasional similar problems with
802.11b PCI setupand old router.

I think there is a corrupt registry in Win 2000 (tho i thought un- and
reinstalling TCP/IP would fix). I am inclined to think a hardware (card)
issue would fail to demonstrate a connection (and the router sees it as
well).

Terence
!