Wireless connection on but DNS error

All new 802.11g NETGEAR equipment

I have a good connection indicated from new PCI wireless g card on win 2k
machine to new wgr614 router and recognized on router.

Problem: DNS error when using IE 6.x. IE settings are correct for LAN setup.
Starts looking for proxy server then DNS error instead of connecting to
internet.
9 answers Last reply
More about wireless connection error

    Open up a command prompt and type "ipconfig /all" and look for the Gateway
    and DNS server entries.

    -Yves

    "Yves Konigshofer" <yvesk@sStTaAnNfFoOrRdD.edu> wrote in message
    > Open up a command prompt and type "ipconfig /all" and look for the Gateway
    > and DNS server entries.
    >
    > -Yves
    >
    > "Terence" <tnc3p@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> All new 802.11g NETGEAR equipment
    >>
    >> I have a good connection indicated from new PCI wireless g card on win 2k
    >> machine to new wgr614 router and recognized on router.
    >>
    >> Problem: DNS error when using IE 6.x. IE settings are correct for LAN
    >> setup. Starts looking for proxy server then DNS error instead of
    >> connecting to internet.

    Updated/reinstalled to make sure latest firmware

    Made connection and internet access, then dropped ("network cable unplugged"
    message) after 30 sec, reconnected to router spontaneously, but then DNS
    error again. Still appears on router "attached devices" list.

    ipconfig/all gives:

    Hostname terence
    Primary DNS suffix BLANK
    Node type Broadcast
    IP routing no
    WINS proxy no

    auto config address is 169.254.248.70
    subnet mask 255.255.0.0
    Default gaetway BLANK
    DNS BLANK

    I dont know what the h*ll is going on with this

    The 169.254... address means that you are not being assigned an IP address
    from the router's DHCP server. You should be in the same subnet as the
    router and the router's IP address (usually something like 192.168.1.1)
    should be found in the gateway entry.

    If you connect to your router by ethernet cable (not wireless), are you
    assigned an IP address in the router's subnet (i.e. one that starts with
    192.168.1)?

    Have you enabled encryption? Have you tried resetting the router to its
    factory configuration? Is the router being assigned an IP address from your
    cable|DSL modem (check the configuration screens)?

    You may also want to use the event viewer (control panel->administrative
    tools->event viewer) and look at the system events to see if there is
    something related to Dhcp or Tcpip at the times when you try to connect.

    > The 169.254... address means that you are not being assigned an IP address
    > from the router's DHCP server. You should be in the same subnet as the
    > router and the router's IP address (usually something like 192.168.1.1)
    > should be found in the gateway entry.
    >
    > If you connect to your router by ethernet cable (not wireless), are you
    > assigned an IP address in the router's subnet (i.e. one that starts with
    > 192.168.1)?
    >
    > Have you enabled encryption? Have you tried resetting the router to its
    > factory configuration? Is the router being assigned an IP address from
    > your cable|DSL modem (check the configuration screens)?
    >
    > You may also want to use the event viewer (control panel->administrative
    > tools->event viewer) and look at the system events to see if there is
    > something related to Dhcp or Tcpip at the times when you try to connect.
    >
    > -Yves
    >
    > "Terence" <tnc3p@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Yves Konigshofer" <yvesk@sStTaAnNfFoOrRdD.edu> wrote in message
    >>> Open up a command prompt and type "ipconfig /all" and look for the
    >>> Gateway and DNS server entries.
    >>>
    >>> -Yves
    >>>
    >>> "Terence" <tnc3p@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    >> Updated/reinstalled to make sure latest firmware
    >>
    >> Made connection and internet access, then dropped ("network cable
    >> unplugged" message) after 30 sec, reconnected to router spontaneously,
    >> but then DNS error again. Still appears on router "attached devices"
    >> list.
    >>
    >> ipconfig/all gives:
    >>
    >> Hostname terence
    >> Primary DNS suffix BLANK
    >> Node type Broadcast
    >> IP routing no
    >> WINS proxy no
    >>
    >> auto config address is 169.254.248.70
    >> subnet mask 255.255.0.0
    >> Default gaetway BLANK
    >> DNS BLANK
    >>
    >> I dont know what the h*ll is going on with this

    agree re DHCP failure, pretty obvious

    I assigned a static address and gateway etc. and was internet connected,
    again briefly, then dropped, then reconnected to network on the connection
    monitor but no dice on internet connection.

    I uninstalled and replaced TCP/IP (before above). There must be a problem in
    my registry on the Win2K machine; the hardware seems to work but there is a
    persistent reproducible failure only on that machine. My WinXPP machines
    connect no problem (as well as print server and replay TV, fwiw).

    Any thoughts welcome (I hope you will tell me to beat the machine with a bat
    into tiny pieces).

    "Terence" <tnc3p@yahoo.com> wrote in

    > All new 802.11g NETGEAR equipment
    >
    > I have a good connection indicated from new PCI wireless g card on win
    > 2k machine to new wgr614 router and recognized on router.
    >
    > Problem: DNS error when using IE 6.x. IE settings are correct for LAN
    > setup. Starts looking for proxy server then DNS error instead of
    > connecting to internet.

    What IP are you getting when you enter IPconfig at the DOS Prompt?

    Duane :)

    "Terence" <tnc3p@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >auto config address is 169.254.248.70
    >subnet mask 255.255.0.0
    >Default gaetway BLANK
    >DNS BLANK

    You don't have a connection to the router, so your computer made up
    it's own address (in the autoconfiguration block 169.254.*.*).

    "Terence" <tnc3p@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >I assigned a static address and gateway etc. and was internet connected,
    >again briefly, then dropped, then reconnected to network on the connection
    >monitor but no dice on internet connection.

    Sounds like a lower level (hardware) problem. Are you near your
    router? Try putting your computer right next to your router and see
    if that works.

    Are you using any security? Just for the sake of eliminating
    problems, try removing all security from the link.

    Also, I assume you've gotten all the latest driver and firmware
    updates for your router and and the WiFi device in your laptop?

    >>> Made connection and internet access, then dropped ("network cable
    >>> unplugged" message) after 30 sec, reconnected to router
    >>> spontaneously, but then DNS error again. Still appears on router
    >>> "attached devices" list.

    It seems that the card or the router maybe defective. If you put the card
    in another machine does the problem follow?

    Duane :)

    <William P.N. Smith> wrote in message
    > "Terence" <tnc3p@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >>I assigned a static address and gateway etc. and was internet connected,
    >>again briefly, then dropped, then reconnected to network on the connection
    >>monitor but no dice on internet connection.
    >
    > Sounds like a lower level (hardware) problem. Are you near your
    > router? Try putting your computer right next to your router and see
    > if that works.
    >
    > Are you using any security? Just for the sake of eliminating
    > problems, try removing all security from the link.
    >
    > Also, I assume you've gotten all the latest driver and firmware
    > updates for your router and and the WiFi device in your laptop?

    Firmware all latest

    No WEP/WPA

    FWIW, part of the reason I upgraded was occasional similar problems with
    802.11b PCI setupand old router.

    I think there is a corrupt registry in Win 2000 (tho i thought un- and
    reinstalling TCP/IP would fix). I am inclined to think a hardware (card)
    issue would fail to demonstrate a connection (and the router sees it as
    well).

    Terence

Wireless Internet Explorer DNS Error Connection Wireless Networking