Windows 7 OEM vs Retail Question

Tags:
  • Windows 7
  • OEM
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Windows 7
August 24, 2010 9:28:15 AM

Aloha!

I need an OS for my new system. I'm wondering if I can get the Win 7 Home OEM edition and then get the $30 upgrade to Win 7 Pro to gain all the advantages of a retail copy. (Advantages such as not having to worry about changing motherboards later and getting service if I need it.)

Thanks for any input!

~abc

More about : windows oem retail question

August 24, 2010 9:33:43 PM

Thanks for the info, but I might not have been clear enough. I know the differences between an OEM version and a retail version, but this is what I have a question about:

Quote:
Once you install an OEM copy of Windows 7 on a PC it must remain with that PC forever, unless upgraded to a newer version of Windows in the future.

If I upgrade an OEM copy via something like Anytime Upgrade (from Home to Profession, for instance), is it effectively like turning my OEM version into a retail version? Or am I still limited in terms of support and being tied to the same components?

The reason I ask is because as a student, I can get a $30 upgrade to Professional, and it would be cheaper to get the OEM version of Home and upgrade than to get a retail copy of Home.

Hope that makes sense.

~abc
m
l

Best solution

a c 215 $ Windows 7
a b V Motherboard
August 24, 2010 11:21:52 PM

My understanding is that if the previous license was OEM, then no, you would not be able to transfer it. If you buy a retail version of, say, Home Premium, upgrade it to Professional via Anytime Upgrade and then want to transfer it, that would be ok.

But then again, I don't represent Microsoft in any way. It would probably be better to call them, or post your question on their Microsoft Answers forum. An official rep from Microsoft should be able to clarify for you.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
August 24, 2010 11:42:26 PM

Best answer selected by abctao.
m
l
August 24, 2010 11:43:20 PM

abctao said:
Aloha!

I need an OS for my new system. I'm wondering if I can get the Win 7 Home OEM edition and then get the $30 upgrade to Win 7 Pro to gain all the advantages of a retail copy. (Advantages such as not having to worry about changing motherboards later and getting service if I need it.)

Thanks for any input!

~abc

EDIT: For anyone with the same question, I found a detailed explanation here: http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7inst...
m
l
!