Windows XP - Stupid Question

I have a really dumb question !!
I currently have a rather old AMD K6/2 - 400MHz which was given to me and is
rather pants. I have a new base unit arriving in the next couple of days but
it comes without an OS.
I have been looking on eBay for a copy of XP but I am rather confused about
the Product Key / Certificate of Authenticity business.
I know I need the PK to install the software but what is the COA for ??
I have seen some people on eBay are selling CD's of XP with a PK but no COA
- is this a problem ?

Many Thanks
Wayne

On 03/01/2005 Bodie wrote:

> I have a really dumb question !!
> I currently have a rather old AMD K6/2 - 400MHz which was given to me
> and is rather pants. I have a new base unit arriving in the next
> couple of days but it comes without an OS.
> I have been looking on eBay for a copy of XP but I am rather confused
> about the Product Key / Certificate of Authenticity business.
> I know I need the PK to install the software but what is the COA for
> ?? I have seen some people on eBay are selling CD's of XP with a PK
> but no COA - is this a problem ?
>
> Many Thanks
> Wayne

The COA is the Certificate of Authenticity, effectively your licence to
use the software. You must have this to use the s/w legitimately. They
are sold secondhand, which seems to be legitimate under UK law. There
are often quite interesting discussions about how to remove COA's from
cases without damaging them (a hair dryer is not hot enough but a heat
gun seems OK).

Anybody could sell/give you a copy of XP with a key but they could do
the same thing a thousand times over which means that eventually MS
will pick up that unlicensed copies are in use using a certain key.

In short you must have the COA to avoid potential prosecution for using
unlicensed software.

--
Jeff Gaines
Posted with XanaNews 1.17.1.2 http://www.wilsonc.demon.co.uk/delphi.htm

Thanks Jeff,
no longer confused:)
At least I now know what to look for, PK and COA.
Cheers
Wayne

> The COA is the Certificate of Authenticity, effectively your licence to
> use the software. You must have this to use the s/w legitimately. They
> are sold secondhand, which seems to be legitimate under UK law. There
> are often quite interesting discussions about how to remove COA's from
> cases without damaging them (a hair dryer is not hot enough but a heat
> gun seems OK).
>
> Anybody could sell/give you a copy of XP with a key but they could do
> the same thing a thousand times over which means that eventually MS
> will pick up that unlicensed copies are in use using a certain key.
>
> In short you must have the COA to avoid potential prosecution for using
> unlicensed software.
>
> --
> Jeff Gaines
> Posted with XanaNews 1.17.1.2 http://www.wilsonc.demon.co.uk/delphi.htm

Do not purchase Windows XP from eBay! Visit a local retailer
and purchase a conventional "Retail Version" of Windows XP.
Better safe than sorry!

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"Bodie" wrote:

| I have a really dumb question !!
| I currently have a rather old AMD K6/2 - 400MHz which was given to me and is
| rather pants. I have a new base unit arriving in the next couple of days but
| it comes without an OS.
| I have been looking on eBay for a copy of XP but I am rather confused about
| the Product Key / Certificate of Authenticity business.
| I know I need the PK to install the software but what is the COA for ??
| I have seen some people on eBay are selling CD's of XP with a PK but no COA
| - is this a problem ?
|
| Many Thanks
| Wayne

But you should be confused. The PK is on the COA that is attached to a new machine from an OEM, or on the packaging that an OEM XP CD is packaged in. An OEM version of XP is limited to the 1st machine it is installed on.

Do as Carey said visit a retailer and purchase a retail copy of XP.

--
Just my 2¢ worth,
Jeff
"Bodie" <Bodie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:810F3C2C-0F6E-4105-B4CA-F70BED3BE0F9@microsoft.com...

| Thanks Jeff,
| no longer confused:)
| At least I now know what to look for, PK and COA.
| Cheers
| Wayne

Purchasing XP off eBay is really not a good idea. Due to Windows Product
Activation you might find that it has been previously activated and you will
have ongoing trouble with it. If you buy online ensure your product is new,
never activated and do not settle for just a COA which often doesn't ship
with a CD. Expect to pay over $80 US for an OEM version of Windows XP Home
and higher for Windows XP Pro. If you had an earlier version of Windows on
your K6 and still have the CD for it then you could purchase a Windows XP
Upgrade version which is quite a bit less expensive than a full retail
version. If you are a student you can also check with your school library to
see if you qualify for an academic version of XP.

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

| I have a really dumb question !!
| I currently have a rather old AMD K6/2 - 400MHz which was given to me and
is
| rather pants. I have a new base unit arriving in the next couple of days
but
| it comes without an OS.
| I have been looking on eBay for a copy of XP but I am rather confused
about
| the Product Key / Certificate of Authenticity business.
| I know I need the PK to install the software but what is the COA for ??
| I have seen some people on eBay are selling CD's of XP with a PK but no
COA
| - is this a problem ?
|
| Many Thanks
| Wayne

"Bodie" <Bodie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a really dumb question !!
> I currently have a rather old AMD K6/2 - 400MHz which was given to me and is
> rather pants. I have a new base unit arriving in the next couple of days but
> it comes without an OS.
> I have been looking on eBay for a copy of XP but I am rather confused about
> the Product Key / Certificate of Authenticity business.
> I know I need the PK to install the software but what is the COA for ??
> I have seen some people on eBay are selling CD's of XP with a PK but no COA
> - is this a problem ?
>
> Many Thanks
> Wayne

it is "proof" that the copy you're installing is not a bootleg or pirated copy.