MS auto-updates

It seems that recently, a great amount of pop-up, ads, etc have been
slipping into the updates that MS sends out. My 2 AV programs seem to be
catching most of them (?) but I would like to turn off the auto-update
process, but can't seem to figure out where to do it. Any help would be
appreciated, TIA
Norvin
2 answers Last reply
More about auto updates

    The ONLY way you should obtain updates from Microsoft is through Windows
    Update. Windows Update never ever sends pop-ups and the updates never ever
    contain viruses. Microsoft never sends updates via e-mail.

    Where are you getting these "updates"?

    Ted Zieglar

    "Norvin Gordon" <bluegoose@prodigy.net> wrote in message
    > It seems that recently, a great amount of pop-up, ads, etc have been
    > slipping into the updates that MS sends out. My 2 AV programs seem to be
    > catching most of them (?) but I would like to turn off the auto-update
    > process, but can't seem to figure out where to do it. Any help would be
    > appreciated, TIA
    > Norvin

    "Norvin Gordon" <bluegoose@prodigy.net> wrote in message
    > It seems that recently, a great amount of pop-up, ads, etc have been
    > slipping into the updates that MS sends out. My 2 AV programs seem to
    > be catching most of them (?) but I would like to turn off the
    > auto-update process, but can't seem to figure out where to do it. Any
    > help would be appreciated, TIA
    > Norvin

    Windows Update is NOT installing popups.
    What You Should Know About Spyware
    http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/devioussoftware.mspx

    CAUTION!!!!! Before you try to remove spyware using any of these programs ,
    download a copy of LSPFIX from any of the following sites:
    http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm
    (if your OS is Win2k or XP) The process of removing certain malware may kill
    your internet connection. If this should occur, this program, LSPFIX, will
    enable you to regain your connection.

    See
    Dealing with Unwanted Malware, Parasites, Toolbars and Search Engines
    http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

    Note that AdAware and SpyBot S & D will each catch some things the other
    won't. Also, each needs to be updated with the program's update function
    before every use, even when just downloaded. There's also a lot more to do
    than just those two programs. CWShredder is also available here:
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/cwshredder.zip or
    http://forum.aumha.org/downloads/cwshredder.zip
    **Post your HijackThis log to
    http://www.spywareinfo.com/forums/
    http://forums.tomcoyote.org/
    http://www.wilderssecurity.com/ or the Spyware forum at
    http://forum.aumha.org/viewforum.php?f=30 for expert analysis, not here.**
    Alternative download pages for Ad-Aware, Spybot, HijackThis and CWShredder
    may be found on this page:
    http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm.

    See this link for information about malware:
    http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/malware.ars

    If nothing there helps, please post back to this thread.

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

Windows XP