User Accounts - Administrator

I created a single new user account (username ABC) with administrator
privileges for a temporary purpose and I now want to delete it.

I can access the original administrator account (username admin) via
AltCtrlDel but I'm not given the option of deleting ABC.

Is there any way I can delete the ABC account and just have the original
administrator account.

I'm using XP Pro.

TIA

Rob
7 answers Last reply
More about user accounts administrator

    Control Panel > User Accounts

    Ted Zieglar

    "RFJ" <rfj1001@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    >I created a single new user account (username ABC) with administrator
    > privileges for a temporary purpose and I now want to delete it.
    >
    > I can access the original administrator account (username admin) via
    > AltCtrlDel but I'm not given the option of deleting ABC.
    >
    > Is there any way I can delete the ABC account and just have the original
    > administrator account.
    >
    > I'm using XP Pro.
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Rob

    'fraid I'd tried that already. There is no option to delete. The help says
    to delete that account I need to create another user with admin rights, log
    onto it and then delete the first. That works but I'm then left with another
    user with admin rights that I can't delete :(

    > Control Panel > User Accounts
    >
    > Ted Zieglar
    >
    > "RFJ" <rfj1001@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > >I created a single new user account (username ABC) with administrator
    > > privileges for a temporary purpose and I now want to delete it.
    > >
    > > I can access the original administrator account (username admin) via
    > > AltCtrlDel but I'm not given the option of deleting ABC.
    > >
    > > Is there any way I can delete the ABC account and just have the original
    > > administrator account.
    > >
    > > I'm using XP Pro.
    > >
    > > TIA
    > >
    > > Rob

    From the Help and Support Center:

    "As a user with a computer administrator account, you can create, delete,
    and change all user accounts on the computer."

    Are there additional details we need to know?

    > 'fraid I'd tried that already. There is no option to delete. The help says
    > to delete that account I need to create another user with admin rights,
    > log
    > onto it and then delete the first. That works but I'm then left with
    > another
    > user with admin rights that I can't delete :(

    >> Control Panel > User Accounts
    >>
    >> Ted Zieglar
    >>
    >> "RFJ" <rfj1001@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    >> >I created a single new user account (username ABC) with administrator
    >> > privileges for a temporary purpose and I now want to delete it.
    >> >
    >> > I can access the original administrator account (username admin) via
    >> > AltCtrlDel but I'm not given the option of deleting ABC.
    >> >
    >> > Is there any way I can delete the ABC account and just have the
    >> > original
    >> > administrator account.
    >> >
    >> > I'm using XP Pro.
    >> >
    >> > TIA
    >> >
    >> > Rob

    My understanding of the post is that he wants to go back to the default
    admin account. I could be wrong.
    Joan

    > From the Help and Support Center:
    >
    > "As a user with a computer administrator account, you can create,
    > delete, and change all user accounts on the computer."
    >
    > Are there additional details we need to know?
    >
    > Ted Zieglar

    Joan was correct in her post. I'm just trying to get back to where I was -
    to boot up directly into the administrator account and to have no other
    users (except the turned off guest account)

    > From the Help and Support Center:
    >
    > "As a user with a computer administrator account, you can create, delete,
    > and change all user accounts on the computer."
    >
    > Are there additional details we need to know?
    >
    > Ted Zieglar
    >
    > "RFJ" <rfj1001@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > > 'fraid I'd tried that already. There is no option to delete. The help
    says
    > > to delete that account I need to create another user with admin rights,
    > > log
    > > onto it and then delete the first. That works but I'm then left with
    > > another
    > > user with admin rights that I can't delete :(
    > >

    > > "Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote in message
    > >> Control Panel > User Accounts
    > >>
    > >> Ted Zieglar
    > >>
    > >> "RFJ" <rfj1001@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

    Everyone who uses a Windows XP computer has to have an account - that's how
    XP is setup.

    Every installation of Windows XP has to have at least one active user
    account. If there is only one user account, that user must be an
    Administrator. That's why the sole Administrator cannot delete itself.
    --

    RFJ wrote:
    > I created a single new user account (username ABC) with administrator
    > privileges for a temporary purpose and I now want to delete it.
    >
    > I can access the original administrator account (username admin) via
    > AltCtrlDel but I'm not given the option of deleting ABC.
    >
    > Is there any way I can delete the ABC account and just have the original
    > administrator account.
    >
    > I'm using XP Pro.
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Rob

    You should *NOT* use the built-in administrator Account for every day
    use. It is your *only* way into the machine if your User account goes
    belly-up short of a repair install of XP.
    Create a User account with Admin privileges (which you already have) for
    daily use.

User Accounts Windows XP