OEM Responsibilities

What are my options when the OEM DOES NOT provide a method of restoring
the
PC to it's initial state after a system software failure?

All of the major and not-so-major OEMs provide a way of reinstalling your
software. If you purchased your PC from a local concern and they did not
provide a way to reinstall your software, or if you purchased your computer
second hand and the vendor has in some way removed your ability to reinstall
the software (e.g. didn't include the CDs - which violates the EULA - or
erased the recovery partition) then your only option is to buy the software
and do it yourself.

Ted Zieglar

<jimhoofer@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> What are my options when the OEM DOES NOT provide a method of restoring
> the
> PC to it's initial state after a system software failure?

Few to none.

What OEM?
Have you checked your manual?
Did you call the OEM?

If a CD is not provided, usually a hidden partition is used.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

jimhoofer@yahoo.com wrote:

>What are my options when the OEM DOES NOT provide a method of restoring
>the
>PC to it's initial state after a system software failure?

You could try contacting piracy@microsoft.com with the full
particulars, including the name and address of the OEM.

All OEMs are required, as part of their OEM license from Microsoft, to
provide *a* means by which the computer can be restored to the "as it
left the factory" state with a freshly installed version of Windows.

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

Ron Martell wrote:
> jimhoofer@yahoo.com wrote:
>
> >What are my options when the OEM DOES NOT provide a method of
restoring
> >the
> >PC to it's initial state after a system software failure?
>
> You could try contacting piracy@microsoft.com with the full
> particulars, including the name and address of the OEM.
>
> All OEMs are required, as part of their OEM license from Microsoft,
> provide *a* means by which the computer can be restored to the "as it
> left the factory" state with a freshly installed version of Windows.
>

> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
> --
> Microsoft MVP
> On-Line Help Computer Service
> http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

Thanks to you Ron, Microsoft has starting an investigation into the
practices
of the OEM involved. Hopefully the OEM will change it's ways in the
future OR perhaps Microsoft will withdraw/revoke their licensing
agreement.
Pays to listen to MVPs!

Jim Hoofer
Grapevine, Texas