Kill the user login screen for xp

January 4, 2005 3:09:05 PM

apperently since i custom built my machine and have an oem license, i cant
get help from microsoft... anywhoo. when i first loaded xp pro, i only
installed my self as a user, not "guest" account, nothing. in other words i
could hit the power button on my computer, walk away, and when i came back my
desktop would be loaded up and email, im, ect would be running. i dont know
what i did, but now when it turns on, it stops to the "blue" login screen
showing my name next to an icon. this screen is useless since i am the only
user on this machine and my account is NOT password protected. the only thing
i could think of is that i was playing around with the accessability options,
and i did somthing to the fonts, so now its acting up. any help will be
greatly appreciated! please reply or email me at
onesmartidiot@wideopenwest.com.

More about : kill user login screen

Anonymous
January 4, 2005 6:47:02 PM

On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 12:09:05 -0800, urn offlue login screen in xp wrote:

> apperently since i custom built my machine and have an oem license, i cant
> get help from microsoft... anywhoo. when i first loaded xp pro, i only
> installed my self as a user, not "guest" account, nothing. in other words i
> could hit the power button on my computer, walk away, and when i came back my
> desktop would be loaded up and email, im, ect would be running. i dont know
> what i did, but now when it turns on, it stops to the "blue" login screen
> showing my name next to an icon. this screen is useless since i am the only
> user on this machine and my account is NOT password protected. the only thing
> i could think of is that i was playing around with the accessability options,
> and i did somthing to the fonts, so now its acting up. any help will be
> greatly appreciated! please reply or email me at
> onesmartidiot@wideopenwest.com.

It has to login with some account. You can automate it so that it logs in
without user intervention to a specific account. To do this click Start,
select Run and enter the following command:

control userpasswords2

On the Users tab remove the check from "Users must enter a user name and
password to use this computer." When you apply the changes you will be
prompted for an ID and password that will be used to automatically log on.
Just enter the ID and password that you want the be logged on when you
start the computer and click OK.
--
Tom Porterfield
MS-MVP Windows