Problems connecting my wireless router using a cable

I tried to connect a cable from my laptop to my Belkin router/modem and
although the network was recognised ("cable connected" etc.) I couldn't
access any network resources.

I thought that it was just a case of connecting a cable and disabling my
wireless card? When I tried this, the system tray reported a (cabled)
connection and a disabled wireless connection but I couldn't access the Net
nor shared resources.

What am I doing wrong? It's a Belkin 7630 modem/router running under Windows
XP SP2.

Cheers.

Bobby
1 answer Last reply
More about problems connecting wireless router cable

    "Bobby" <bobby@europe.com> wrote in news:2pc4qvFivngsU1@uni-berlin.de:

    > I tried to connect a cable from my laptop to my Belkin router/modem
    > and although the network was recognised ("cable connected" etc.) I
    > couldn't access any network resources.
    >
    > I thought that it was just a case of connecting a cable and disabling
    > my wireless card? When I tried this, the system tray reported a
    > (cabled) connection and a disabled wireless connection but I couldn't
    > access the Net nor shared resources.

    What IP are you getting when you do IPconfig at the DOS prompt?
    The TCP/IP maybe locked and the IP assigned will not allow access to the
    Internet for wired or wireless. The TCP/IP stack may need to be reset on
    XP. You can search Google on *How to reset the TCP/IP Stack on XP*, if
    it's locked.

    You may want to delete the Netbeui protocol and just go with MS Client,
    MS File and Print Sharing and TCP/IP on all machines.

    Duane :)

Wireless Connection Cable Wireless Networking