• I hate both

Votes: 1 4.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

quinntheskamo

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
I know there are big fans of each developer, but i wish to know which one you think produces better games.

Valve has the Half-Life series, Counter-Strike, Left 4 Dead, and TF2

While Blizzard has World of Warcraft, the Warcarft series, starcraft, anf both of the Diablos

SnareSpectre

Distinguished
May 2, 2008
Tough decision you're having us make here, but I personally have to go with Blizzard despite Warcraft 3 being the last game of theirs I have played, and despite how unbelievably over-rated WoW is. I've never in my life looked forward to a video game more than I am Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3...and if they live up to my high expectations, then I don't think any other game company will top what they've achieved.

malveaux

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2008
Heya,

They're too different in terms of the games they deliver. Blizzard has released quality since Diablo 1. Every. Single. Release. And while some may argue that they're kiddy, cartoony, etc, they're king of sales charts every time. They are simply great games with a fantastic advertising group and a very good attention to making sure the games run on a very wide array of systems out there; not just the high end gamers (while not ignoring them, on the other hand).

Valve has really been a major pioneer of online gaming excellent and distribution. If you want action that is free per month, Valve has released these games. CSS, L4D and TF2. Seriously. These are some of the best games for the money, since they just keep on playing, forever, as long as you log in. Free.

My hat is off to both. Blizz has not released an FPS. Valve has not covered the RPG/HackNSlash/Adventure. They're two different companies that don't cross genre eith each other hardly ever. So how can you really compare them, other than business practice? In which case, Valve wins because Steam is superb.

Cheers,

pr2thej

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008
Damn good question.

Ill take it from the angle of where my time has been invested in playing their games.
While i did playthrough all the HL's i only really played a bit of CS; i much prefer UT04 for its crazy upfront action. Theres something about taking out a tank with a Flak Cannon that CS cant compete with, for me ;)
As far as Blizz goes, I've spent much more time playing their games from the RTS series onwards (and really way too much time on WoW!) so i would have to vote for Blizz. They have certainly gotten more of my money >.<

Valve developed the Steam platform - WoW is an MMORPG for people who can't concentrate (I am a 7year+ EQ veteran). The Diablo series was/is excellent, but they are two very different developers.

Probably Valve for me - Half-Life when it came out was a genre defining revolution in a way that only the GTA games have really repeated since and Steam is the best app to come out for PC gaming. I also think the Source engine still does a fantastic job and manages to look great on almost any hardware.

Blizzard do lots of things extremely well though. I'm looking forward to the new Diablo and Starcraft games.

stemnin

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
I like Valve and Blizz equally.. but the name Activision Blizzard.. still gives me goosebumps (Activision has dev/published a lot of games I like, from Battlezone to Jedi Knight II and CoD4).

Starcraft 2 in 3 games, not sure how I feel about that. If that's still the plan. I'm looking forward to D3 a lot more. That is Fenix in my avatar.

Why is there no both?

dtq

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2006

Activision always makes me think of the ghostbusters game on the speccy, I played that game a lot as a kid...

quinntheskamo

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
If I put both then most people would pick both, the point of the poll was to decide between the two, which is a generally hard discussion

llama_man

Splendid
Jan 12, 2006
He's probably bored at work; i.e. the same reason we're reading this and posting.

I'm probably unique in that I don't own a game by either.

Actually, I tell a lie. I bought Starcraft on budget a few months back, but haven't got arond to installing it yet.

GrandAdmiralThrawn

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2007
I like both but I voted Valve because even though I really like Starcraft and Warcrafts 1,2, and 3, I have absolutly no love for WoW and I am disappointed that Blizzard has spend so long just focused on the mmo cash cow.

That said what is taking Half life 2 Ep.3 so long?

Just my opinion

SnareSpectre

Distinguished
May 2, 2008

Wrong! :) While I may believe WoW is the most overrated game of all time (even exceeding the Halo series, Gears of War series, and GTA series), it has over 11 million subscribers. Multiplied by $15/month, that's over $150 million in revenue EVERY MONTH, and I KNOW it doesn't take that kind of money to keep servers up and running. I highly doubt Steam, as incredible as it may be, can compete with that... (my opinion of course!)

pr2thej

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008
Most likely x3 or something like that.

x3 kicked my arse, i kept flying into space stations.

Snakespectre, I'm sure that malveaux was referring to business practices towards customers, and maybe advancing the industry in terms of a way of defeating the pirates.
Think about it - if pure revenue makes a good company then i guess Shell, or HSBC is the best company in the world which i would disagree with because they are absolute *******
Depends in what context malveaux was talking of course.

llama_man

Splendid
Jan 12, 2006
Hmm, what have I been playing?

Until I got my new machine, I was playing ProEvo6, GTA:SA, GalCiv2, Civ4, TD:U, X3:Reunion, and had even reinstalled Caesar3 and played that through again (going old skool there).

Now playing X3:TC. Assassin's Creed, GTA 4, the new ProEvo and Football Manager 2009.

Never been a huge FPS fan. I can just about get on with stealth/action games (loved Hitman, Thief, NOLF). Tried Battlefield2 and found it an intensely annoying experience.

SnareSpectre

Distinguished
May 2, 2008

Okay, true, I see your point. But what a lot of people on our consuming end don't realize (not saying you're one of these people at all) is that companies can't just give consumers what they want all the time because it's too expensive. I think both companies are great, and Valve is very good about post-release support with plenty of DLC, but I would still go with Blizzard based on the quality of their games. I don't believe they've released a single bad game! Granted, Valve hasn't really, either, but I believe it takes a lot more care and effort to make a Blizzard game (RTS or RPG) than it does a FPS...and they have the freedom to take their time making games incredibly good because they have all of that profit and a strong fan base to sit on...unlike EA who just likes to pump out games extraordinarily fast.

antiacid

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2008

You don't seem to understand the numbers that you throw around.

Without going into an in-depth analysis, let's just remember that Blizzard develops games for 3-5years before releasing and those games are made by people which need to be paid. Then, there's the ridiculous amount of staff you need to keep around (gm, devs, artists, hr, pr, lawyers, technicians, etc). The hardware cost is also high but it doesn't make the biggest part of their expenditures.

BTW, 11mil accounts is not the same as 11mil customers. That number also include the asian market which works on a different scheme (pay by the hour, pay to an internet cafe which sends that money to the reseller over there). As far as I can remember, that number also includes the inactive accounts which aren't paying. In the end, the actual revenue per month is still high enough to keep the whole thing going but it isn't exactly 21432161 billions of dollars in pure profit per year.

Finally, accusing the most popular game of all times of being overrated is a bit like saying that the ford model T was overrated (history lesson: it revolutionized the transportation industry). I'm not even sure you can call it a niche market at that point... It's that big. Maybe you didn't enjoy the time you spent playing it, maybe you didn't even play it (in which case, your statement is full of ****) but in the end, it just so happens that this game is not only occupying millions of people around the world but also propelling the relatively new E-sport industry more than the quake series, cs (and css), ut and whatever other shooters have done together. The only other better known game out there, in terms of e-sport, is YET ANOTHER BLIZZARD GAME! (starcraft, starcraft brood war).

So for all that blizzard has created or participated in, in terms of community, challenge, technical feats and whatnot, it can't possibly be put behind Valve.

Of course, Valve helped create a framework to sell all kinds of games and an online community but in terms of user base, it's barely comparable to Battle.net (which happened before Steam, btw).

If there's one company out there who strive to create quality games and succeed every single time, that'd be Blizzard.

BigMac

Splendid
Nov 25, 2003

And through actions like that you can separate the leaders from the pack of followers. Apparently Blizzard takes brand recognition VERY seriously and so they should. Good for them.

Btw, ValvE is taking game development just as seriious as Blizzard. Steam should not be included in this comparison as that is about publishing, not game development.

In my book they're both A+ brands and I feel no hesitation at all when buying their titles. You know you will get a good play experience. I see no reason to take sides with either one, I would hope there is more competition out there with similar standards as these two. Bioware comes close, doesn't it? I also hold Remedy in high regards.

In my opinion valve as they have the best price to game quality ratio. If money is no object blizzard has a slight edge in the best game. Note: with blizzard it will take at least $237 or one year of play to get to the end of the game. IE level 80 and most of the end game raid items.

This said next year there maybe a big change coming. From what I have seen stargate worlds may kick them both to the wayside.

SnareSpectre

Distinguished
May 2, 2008

*Sigh.* I'm really confused by your response to my post, so I'll try to clear up a few things, and I'll just go down the list of everything you said and respond.

First off, I completely understand the numbers I throw around. What you should understand is that they're just ball-park figures without any hard research, meant only to illustrate the point I was trying to make.

I know that Blizzard takes 3-5 years to make a game. It's driving me crazy that I have to wait ages for Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 to come out. Keep in mind that it took Valve 6 years to develop Half-Life 2, and with a much larger team than they used for Half-Life. I'm not sure why you put this in here, since I'm well aware that these games that come out in today's day and age take A LOT of work to develop.

I realize that 11 million account does not equal 11 million customers. Hence why I gave the ball-park figure of "over $150 million," rather than pretending it was an exact $165 million. Again, this is all estimation, merely to show that Blizzard makes a ton of money off of WoW. it may not be however many billions of dollars of profit that you suggested I implied, but it's wonderful for Blizzard, especially when their 4-year-old game still brings in that kind of revenue. They have hit a jackpot that every business dreams of - a ton of money for not that much output.

By using the word "overrated" to describe WoW, I simply meant that I think it gets more attention than it's worth. I just don't see why people love it so much. And here's an idea - how about we try to have a civil discussion instead of throwing out statements like "in which case, your statement is full of ****." I did/said nothing to deserve that kind of remark from you. I downloaded the free trial of WoW just to try it out not too long ago, and I thought it was one of the most boring games I've ever played. I didn't play it for more than an hour or two, so you can go ahead and tell me I didn't give it enough time, but I like for my games to be fun all the way through, rather than only beginning to get fun after level 60. (This is what a friend of mine told me in response to that...and when I asked him how long that takes, he said 3-4 days of gameplay.)

Now here comes the hard part of responding to what you just said, and you know why? Because instead of reading what I had to say, you decided to make assumptions about my opinions. Like thinking I like Valve better than Blizzard. Why don't you take a little extra time to scroll up and read what I wrote at the beginning of this thread, as well as take the time to re-read the post that you responded to. I made the statement that DESPITE thinking WoW is overrated, it has become one of the "greatest games of all time." Blizzard is rolling in the dough because they came up with something millions of people enjoy. I certainly don't, but I understand that tons and tons of people do. Starcraft is my favorite game of all time, and while I haven't played the first Diablo, Diablo 2 is a great game as well. Warcraft 3 was awesome for its time. And now I waste too much time going and checking on updates for Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 because I CAN'T WAIT for them to come out - they'll be taking up a lot of my time.

You're right - everything that Blizzard has done can't be put behind Valve. But you act as though I didn't already say that...when I did. I agree that Steam doesn't touch Battle.net, but you also don't seem to realize that, either. Valve is a great company and I've really enjoyed every game of theirs I've played (HL2, ep1, ep2, TF2, and especially Portal), and Left 4 Dead is coming in the mail in the next few days, but I could never put those games ahead of a diamond like Starcraft. But again, you wouldn't know, because you didn't read what I wrote before responding in a blind rage.

Maybe you're just one of those people who enjoys dissent, so you create it even when it doesn't exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.