Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Valve Vs. Blizzard: Which one do you think is better

Tags:
  • PC gaming
  • Valve
  • World Of Warcraft
  • Blizzard
  • Video Games
  • Product
Last response: in Video Games
Share

Which game developer do you like better Valve or Blizzard

Total: 28 votes (4 blank votes)

  • Blizzard
  • 25 %
  • Valve
  • 67 %
  • Neither
  • 5 %
  • I hate both
  • 5 %
December 9, 2008 9:56:49 PM

I know there are big fans of each developer, but i wish to know which one you think produces better games.

Valve has the Half-Life series, Counter-Strike, Left 4 Dead, and TF2

While Blizzard has World of Warcraft, the Warcarft series, starcraft, anf both of the Diablos

More about : valve blizzard

December 10, 2008 1:03:22 AM

Tough decision you're having us make here, but I personally have to go with Blizzard despite Warcraft 3 being the last game of theirs I have played, and despite how unbelievably over-rated WoW is. I've never in my life looked forward to a video game more than I am Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3...and if they live up to my high expectations, then I don't think any other game company will top what they've achieved.
December 10, 2008 1:10:30 AM

Heya,

They're too different in terms of the games they deliver. Blizzard has released quality since Diablo 1. Every. Single. Release. And while some may argue that they're kiddy, cartoony, etc, they're king of sales charts every time. They are simply great games with a fantastic advertising group and a very good attention to making sure the games run on a very wide array of systems out there; not just the high end gamers (while not ignoring them, on the other hand).

Valve has really been a major pioneer of online gaming excellent and distribution. If you want action that is free per month, Valve has released these games. CSS, L4D and TF2. Seriously. These are some of the best games for the money, since they just keep on playing, forever, as long as you log in. Free.

My hat is off to both. Blizz has not released an FPS. Valve has not covered the RPG/HackNSlash/Adventure. They're two different companies that don't cross genre eith each other hardly ever. So how can you really compare them, other than business practice? In which case, Valve wins because Steam is superb.

Cheers,
Related resources
December 10, 2008 6:46:11 AM

Damn good question.

Ill take it from the angle of where my time has been invested in playing their games.
While i did playthrough all the HL's i only really played a bit of CS; i much prefer UT04 for its crazy upfront action. Theres something about taking out a tank with a Flak Cannon that CS cant compete with, for me ;) 
As far as Blizz goes, I've spent much more time playing their games from the RTS series onwards (and really way too much time on WoW!) so i would have to vote for Blizz. They have certainly gotten more of my money >.<
December 10, 2008 7:23:55 AM

Valve developed the Steam platform - WoW is an MMORPG for people who can't concentrate (I am a 7year+ EQ veteran). The Diablo series was/is excellent, but they are two very different developers.

Probably Valve for me - Half-Life when it came out was a genre defining revolution in a way that only the GTA games have really repeated since and Steam is the best app to come out for PC gaming. I also think the Source engine still does a fantastic job and manages to look great on almost any hardware.

Blizzard do lots of things extremely well though. I'm looking forward to the new Diablo and Starcraft games.
December 10, 2008 10:43:20 AM

I like Valve and Blizz equally.. but the name Activision Blizzard.. still gives me goosebumps (Activision has dev/published a lot of games I like, from Battlezone to Jedi Knight II and CoD4).

Starcraft 2 in 3 games, not sure how I feel about that. If that's still the plan. I'm looking forward to D3 a lot more. That is Fenix in my avatar.


Why is there no both?
December 10, 2008 12:44:03 PM

stemnin said:
I like Valve and Blizz equally.. but the name Activision Blizzard.. still gives me goosebumps (Activision has dev/published a lot of games I like, from Battlezone to Jedi Knight II and CoD4).

Starcraft 2 in 3 games, not sure how I feel about that. If that's still the plan. I'm looking forward to D3 a lot more. That is Fenix in my avatar.


Why is there no both?


Activision always makes me think of the ghostbusters game on the speccy, I played that game a lot as a kid...
December 10, 2008 12:57:14 PM

he slimed me!

That was a good game :D 
December 10, 2008 1:02:59 PM

Old Activision game i used to play on the Amiga for hours and hours called Hunter - anyone remember that? Classic :D 
December 10, 2008 1:27:42 PM

im not playing wow, and i have no plans on playing any MMO's.

just give me instant action, and the occational peggle. so valve wins my vote here.
December 10, 2008 1:41:44 PM

If I put both then most people would pick both, the point of the poll was to decide between the two, which is a generally hard discussion
December 10, 2008 2:26:37 PM

He's probably bored at work; i.e. the same reason we're reading this and posting.

I'm probably unique in that I don't own a game by either.



Actually, I tell a lie. I bought Starcraft on budget a few months back, but haven't got arond to installing it yet.
December 10, 2008 2:44:00 PM

wtf llama_man what have you been playing?!
December 10, 2008 3:09:08 PM

To tell you the truth i started this last niight when i was really bored and im responding right now because im really bored
December 10, 2008 3:35:52 PM

I like both but I voted Valve because even though I really like Starcraft and Warcrafts 1,2, and 3, I have absolutly no love for WoW and I am disappointed that Blizzard has spend so long just focused on the mmo cash cow.

That said what is taking Half life 2 Ep.3 so long?

Just my opinion
December 10, 2008 7:28:24 PM

Blizzard
Half Life better than Diablo & Starcraft....hell no
December 10, 2008 11:49:04 PM

malveaux said:
So how can you really compare them, other than business practice? In which case, Valve wins because Steam is superb.


Wrong! :)  While I may believe WoW is the most overrated game of all time (even exceeding the Halo series, Gears of War series, and GTA series), it has over 11 million subscribers. Multiplied by $15/month, that's over $150 million in revenue EVERY MONTH, and I KNOW it doesn't take that kind of money to keep servers up and running. I highly doubt Steam, as incredible as it may be, can compete with that... (my opinion of course!)
December 11, 2008 7:12:54 AM

Quote:
Most likely x3 or something like that.


x3 kicked my arse, i kept flying into space stations.

Snakespectre, I'm sure that malveaux was referring to business practices towards customers, and maybe advancing the industry in terms of a way of defeating the pirates.
Think about it - if pure revenue makes a good company then i guess Shell, or HSBC is the best company in the world which i would disagree with because they are absolute *******
Depends in what context malveaux was talking of course.
December 11, 2008 7:57:19 AM

Hmm, what have I been playing?

Until I got my new machine, I was playing ProEvo6, GTA:SA, GalCiv2, Civ4, TD:U, X3:Reunion, and had even reinstalled Caesar3 and played that through again (going old skool there).

Now playing X3:TC. Assassin's Creed, GTA 4, the new ProEvo and Football Manager 2009.

Never been a huge FPS fan. I can just about get on with stealth/action games (loved Hitman, Thief, NOLF). Tried Battlefield2 and found it an intensely annoying experience.
December 11, 2008 10:36:01 AM

pr2thej said:
x3 kicked my arse, i kept flying into space stations.

Snakespectre, I'm sure that malveaux was referring to business practices towards customers, and maybe advancing the industry in terms of a way of defeating the pirates.
Think about it - if pure revenue makes a good company then i guess Shell, or HSBC is the best company in the world which i would disagree with because they are absolute *******
Depends in what context malveaux was talking of course.


Okay, true, I see your point. But what a lot of people on our consuming end don't realize (not saying you're one of these people at all) is that companies can't just give consumers what they want all the time because it's too expensive. I think both companies are great, and Valve is very good about post-release support with plenty of DLC, but I would still go with Blizzard based on the quality of their games. I don't believe they've released a single bad game! Granted, Valve hasn't really, either, but I believe it takes a lot more care and effort to make a Blizzard game (RTS or RPG) than it does a FPS...and they have the freedom to take their time making games incredibly good because they have all of that profit and a strong fan base to sit on...unlike EA who just likes to pump out games extraordinarily fast.
December 11, 2008 3:33:41 PM

SnareSpectre said:
Wrong! :)  While I may believe WoW is the most overrated game of all time (even exceeding the Halo series, Gears of War series, and GTA series), it has over 11 million subscribers. Multiplied by $15/month, that's over $150 million in revenue EVERY MONTH, and I KNOW it doesn't take that kind of money to keep servers up and running. I highly doubt Steam, as incredible as it may be, can compete with that... (my opinion of course!)


You don't seem to understand the numbers that you throw around.

Without going into an in-depth analysis, let's just remember that Blizzard develops games for 3-5years before releasing and those games are made by people which need to be paid. Then, there's the ridiculous amount of staff you need to keep around (gm, devs, artists, hr, pr, lawyers, technicians, etc). The hardware cost is also high but it doesn't make the biggest part of their expenditures.

BTW, 11mil accounts is not the same as 11mil customers. That number also include the asian market which works on a different scheme (pay by the hour, pay to an internet cafe which sends that money to the reseller over there). As far as I can remember, that number also includes the inactive accounts which aren't paying. In the end, the actual revenue per month is still high enough to keep the whole thing going but it isn't exactly 21432161 billions of dollars in pure profit per year.

Finally, accusing the most popular game of all times of being overrated is a bit like saying that the ford model T was overrated (history lesson: it revolutionized the transportation industry). I'm not even sure you can call it a niche market at that point... It's that big. Maybe you didn't enjoy the time you spent playing it, maybe you didn't even play it (in which case, your statement is full of ****) but in the end, it just so happens that this game is not only occupying millions of people around the world but also propelling the relatively new E-sport industry more than the quake series, cs (and css), ut and whatever other shooters have done together. The only other better known game out there, in terms of e-sport, is YET ANOTHER BLIZZARD GAME! (starcraft, starcraft brood war).

So for all that blizzard has created or participated in, in terms of community, challenge, technical feats and whatnot, it can't possibly be put behind Valve.

Of course, Valve helped create a framework to sell all kinds of games and an online community but in terms of user base, it's barely comparable to Battle.net (which happened before Steam, btw).

If there's one company out there who strive to create quality games and succeed every single time, that'd be Blizzard.
December 12, 2008 1:05:28 PM

SnareSpectre said:
I don't believe they've released a single bad game!


true. they vaporize them, starcraft:ghost.
December 12, 2008 1:30:29 PM

wh3resmycar said:
true. they vaporize them, starcraft:ghost.


And through actions like that you can separate the leaders from the pack of followers. Apparently Blizzard takes brand recognition VERY seriously and so they should. Good for them.

Btw, ValvE is taking game development just as seriious as Blizzard. Steam should not be included in this comparison as that is about publishing, not game development.

In my book they're both A+ brands and I feel no hesitation at all when buying their titles. You know you will get a good play experience. I see no reason to take sides with either one, I would hope there is more competition out there with similar standards as these two. Bioware comes close, doesn't it? I also hold Remedy in high regards.
December 12, 2008 8:11:09 PM

quinntheskamo said:
I know there are big fans of each developer, but i wish to know which one you think produces better games.

Valve has the Half-Life series, Counter-Strike, Left 4 Dead, and TF2

While Blizzard has World of Warcraft, the Warcarft series, starcraft, anf both of the Diablos

In my opinion valve as they have the best price to game quality ratio. If money is no object blizzard has a slight edge in the best game. Note: with blizzard it will take at least $237 or one year of play to get to the end of the game. IE level 80 and most of the end game raid items.

This said next year there maybe a big change coming. From what I have seen stargate worlds may kick them both to the wayside.
December 13, 2008 3:49:18 AM

antiacid said:
You don't seem to understand the numbers that you throw around.

Without going into an in-depth analysis, let's just remember that Blizzard develops games for 3-5years before releasing and those games are made by people which need to be paid. Then, there's the ridiculous amount of staff you need to keep around (gm, devs, artists, hr, pr, lawyers, technicians, etc). The hardware cost is also high but it doesn't make the biggest part of their expenditures.

BTW, 11mil accounts is not the same as 11mil customers. That number also include the asian market which works on a different scheme (pay by the hour, pay to an internet cafe which sends that money to the reseller over there). As far as I can remember, that number also includes the inactive accounts which aren't paying. In the end, the actual revenue per month is still high enough to keep the whole thing going but it isn't exactly 21432161 billions of dollars in pure profit per year.

Finally, accusing the most popular game of all times of being overrated is a bit like saying that the ford model T was overrated (history lesson: it revolutionized the transportation industry). I'm not even sure you can call it a niche market at that point... It's that big. Maybe you didn't enjoy the time you spent playing it, maybe you didn't even play it (in which case, your statement is full of ****) but in the end, it just so happens that this game is not only occupying millions of people around the world but also propelling the relatively new E-sport industry more than the quake series, cs (and css), ut and whatever other shooters have done together. The only other better known game out there, in terms of e-sport, is YET ANOTHER BLIZZARD GAME! (starcraft, starcraft brood war).

So for all that blizzard has created or participated in, in terms of community, challenge, technical feats and whatnot, it can't possibly be put behind Valve.

Of course, Valve helped create a framework to sell all kinds of games and an online community but in terms of user base, it's barely comparable to Battle.net (which happened before Steam, btw).

If there's one company out there who strive to create quality games and succeed every single time, that'd be Blizzard.


*Sigh.* I'm really confused by your response to my post, so I'll try to clear up a few things, and I'll just go down the list of everything you said and respond.

First off, I completely understand the numbers I throw around. What you should understand is that they're just ball-park figures without any hard research, meant only to illustrate the point I was trying to make.

I know that Blizzard takes 3-5 years to make a game. It's driving me crazy that I have to wait ages for Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 to come out. Keep in mind that it took Valve 6 years to develop Half-Life 2, and with a much larger team than they used for Half-Life. I'm not sure why you put this in here, since I'm well aware that these games that come out in today's day and age take A LOT of work to develop.

I realize that 11 million account does not equal 11 million customers. Hence why I gave the ball-park figure of "over $150 million," rather than pretending it was an exact $165 million. Again, this is all estimation, merely to show that Blizzard makes a ton of money off of WoW. it may not be however many billions of dollars of profit that you suggested I implied, but it's wonderful for Blizzard, especially when their 4-year-old game still brings in that kind of revenue. They have hit a jackpot that every business dreams of - a ton of money for not that much output.

By using the word "overrated" to describe WoW, I simply meant that I think it gets more attention than it's worth. I just don't see why people love it so much. And here's an idea - how about we try to have a civil discussion instead of throwing out statements like "in which case, your statement is full of ****." I did/said nothing to deserve that kind of remark from you. I downloaded the free trial of WoW just to try it out not too long ago, and I thought it was one of the most boring games I've ever played. I didn't play it for more than an hour or two, so you can go ahead and tell me I didn't give it enough time, but I like for my games to be fun all the way through, rather than only beginning to get fun after level 60. (This is what a friend of mine told me in response to that...and when I asked him how long that takes, he said 3-4 days of gameplay.)

Now here comes the hard part of responding to what you just said, and you know why? Because instead of reading what I had to say, you decided to make assumptions about my opinions. Like thinking I like Valve better than Blizzard. Why don't you take a little extra time to scroll up and read what I wrote at the beginning of this thread, as well as take the time to re-read the post that you responded to. I made the statement that DESPITE thinking WoW is overrated, it has become one of the "greatest games of all time." Blizzard is rolling in the dough because they came up with something millions of people enjoy. I certainly don't, but I understand that tons and tons of people do. Starcraft is my favorite game of all time, and while I haven't played the first Diablo, Diablo 2 is a great game as well. Warcraft 3 was awesome for its time. And now I waste too much time going and checking on updates for Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 because I CAN'T WAIT for them to come out - they'll be taking up a lot of my time.

You're right - everything that Blizzard has done can't be put behind Valve. But you act as though I didn't already say that...when I did. I agree that Steam doesn't touch Battle.net, but you also don't seem to realize that, either. Valve is a great company and I've really enjoyed every game of theirs I've played (HL2, ep1, ep2, TF2, and especially Portal), and Left 4 Dead is coming in the mail in the next few days, but I could never put those games ahead of a diamond like Starcraft. But again, you wouldn't know, because you didn't read what I wrote before responding in a blind rage.

Maybe you're just one of those people who enjoys dissent, so you create it even when it doesn't exist.
December 13, 2008 9:38:18 AM

I like both.
December 13, 2008 7:05:19 PM

Quote:
*Sigh.* I'm really confused by your response to my post, so I'll try to clear up a few things, and I'll just go down the list of everything you said and respond.

That was your intro, the next one is your conclusion.
Quote:

Maybe you're just one of those people who enjoys dissent, so you create it even when it doesn't exist.
With the way you start and finish your email, doing a 180 turn in your tone and ideas, I knew I had to deal with a troll right away.

Quote:

First off, I completely understand the numbers I throw around. What you should understand is that they're just ball-park figures without any hard research, meant only to illustrate the point I was trying to make.


translation: I want to make a point so I'll invent numbers that suits my case. Did you know statistic are made up 87.4% of the time anyway? Who'll know that I pull numbers out of my ass?

Quote:

I know that Blizzard takes 3-5 years to make a game. I'm not sure why you put this in here, since I'm well aware that these games that come out in today's day and age take A LOT of work to develop.

development time = people to pay, facilities to run, etc. What is that you say? A DEBT? Interest rates?

Quote:

I realize that 11 million account does not equal 11 million customers. Hence why I gave the ball-park figure of "over $150 million," rather than pretending it was an exact $165 million. Again, this is all estimation, merely to show that Blizzard makes a ton of money off of WoW.
quote]
translation: I average an estimate number to suit my imaginary theory based on said estimation.

Quote:

By using the word "overrated" to describe WoW, I simply meant that I think it gets more attention than it's worth.

And how much attention is that worth? We're about to find out, aren't we?
Quote:

I just don't see why people love it so much.

I downloaded the free trial of WoW just to try it out not too long ago, and I thought it was one of the most boring games I've ever played. I didn't play it for more than an hour or two, so you can go ahead and tell me I didn't give it enough time, but I like for my games to be fun all the way through, rather than only beginning to get fun after level 60. (This is what a friend of mine told me in response to that...and when I asked him how long that takes, he said 3-4 days of gameplay.)

So let's recap: You haven't played the game more than 2 hours and so you decided that the entire game is one of THE MOST boring game you have ever played. Strong words for 2 hours worth of experience. I don't dispute the fact that you have trouble with the difficulty curve (which I've seen beat by 11years old, mind you) but I do dispute the validity of your opinion. I also think that playing the victim is a nice troll tactic.

Quote:

I made the statement that DESPITE thinking WoW is overrated, it has become one of the "greatest games of all time." Blizzard is rolling in the dough because they came up with something millions of people enjoy.


LOL!

Decide please: option1 "one of THE WORSE games of all time" or option2 "the greatest games of all time".

Quote:

because you didn't read what I wrote before responding in a blind rage.

I like my rage cold, after a long dissection session on a troll's post. Seriously, where's that "civil discussion" crap you were talking about earlier (or was that just another turnaround)?

[/quotemsg]
December 13, 2008 9:44:16 PM

Once again, antiacid, you didn't read what I wrote. You continue to argue with me, even though we agree on the original idea presented in this forum topic. Let me set a few things straight that you STILL do not understand about my post:

I have not made any 180 turnarounds. I've kept the same opinions throughout everything I have said. I still think Blizzard is a better company with better games than Valve, but I think they're both very good for us PC gamers and love them both.

I did not invent numbers. I mentioned that WoW has over 11 million subscribers/accounts, which is what "ballpark" means. It does not mean made-up, falsified, or fake; it means in the general area. I do not claim to know exactly how many people subscribe to WoW, because I don't know. But if we know it's over 11 million, then it's a relatively safe estimation to say that they make over $150 million in revenue based on WoW alone, because they make WoW-related money off of countless other things than just subscription fees. My estimate was on the low end of their potential revenue. What blows my mind is that you're debating with me on this when we agree - I used those figures to show that Blizzard is an immaculate business!

I know that development time equals people to pay. What I didn't understand is why you put that out there, when again we agree that Blizzard is the better company. I don't see why you continue to try to explain this to me as if I don't understand it; it's a very simple concept, and I have given you no reason to believe I don't get what's going on here.

I did say that I only played WoW for 2 hours, and that it was very boring to me. The difficulty curve was not steep; I didn't die a single time, I just got tired of killing wolves because it got old fast. Also, I never implied anything about the full game being boring - I even added that my friend told me it didn't get good until level 60. I don't want to be bored for 3-4 days' worth of gameplay for the game to finally "get good." I'd rather play a game that interests up until that point, too.

I never flip-flopped on my opinion of WoW. I stated that I think it's vastly overrated, but when I referred to it being the "greatest game of all time," you forgot to notice that I put it in quotes. Those punctuation marks speak volumes, and don't at all mean I think WoW is the greatest game of all time. I'm not sure why I'm having to explain this to you, because it's very, very easy to understand.

The "civil discussion" I referred to was my expectation that you would read and understand my posts before responding negatively toward them. You still are not doing that. You are arguing for the sake of arguing. This whole time you've gone back and tried to "dissect" my posts, but they are not "dissectable," for they just represent my opinion. I don't mind at all if you disagree with me, because there are several people here who like Valve better than Blizzard, and it doesn't bother me at all. What bothers me is that you and I agree on the very foundation on which this topic was created, and yet you still persist in completely ignoring and misinterpreting several points I've made.

If you choose to respond to this again, which I feel confident you will, please completely read everything I wrote, and if you don't understand something, feel free to ask. Right now you're just making off-the-wall assumptions about what I wrote, twisting my words into what you WANT me to have said, rather than just responding to what I'm saying.
December 13, 2008 10:36:41 PM

SnareSpectre said:
Wrong! :)  While I may believe WoW is the most overrated game of all time (even exceeding the Halo series, Gears of War series, and GTA series), it has over 11 million subscribers. Multiplied by $15/month, that's over $150 million in revenue EVERY MONTH, and I KNOW it doesn't take that kind of money to keep servers up and running. I highly doubt Steam, as incredible as it may be, can compete with that... (my opinion of course!)


Wrong? Since when is an opinion `effing wrong? You define internet forum douche, my friend. My opinion that Steam is superb stands. I can go online, without leaving my house one weekend day, click "purchase game" and it's downloading, prepatched, ready to game. And I can do it over and over. I didn't have to drive into town. I didn't have to wait in line. I have an internet connection capable of shopping this way, quickly, so why would I not enjoy this kind of service? Steam is solid.

It's not about the money. You, sir, just pulled that out of your own whim. It's what you wanted to insist. I never once mentioned it, nor implied, and continue to assure you, money has nothing to do with my freaking opinion here. All that was said, was that Steam was superb. End of sentence. Where's the "makes more money than..." commentary that you're running with here out of my comment?

Then you go on against other people's opinions and posts and do the same thing. Yet you claim others are twisting your words. How about you stop and read a little and not just assume, "OMG I MUST POST AGAINST THAT OPINION!!! IT'S WRONG!!!!!"

Steam is superb. It's awesome. It's gravy. If you want to take what I say without addressing my context or perhaps asking what I meant, before just assuming your wild fantasies in text, that's your problem and mistake.

@Others who commented on my context, my context is simply that I have to go buy a box with a disc for the new MMO or whatever Blizzard releases, along with having to deal with paper trails, garbage, etc. I then have to install, enter a serial code, file that junk away. And then start patching and updating before I can even get down to business (in regards to the MMO, at least). This is old business. Business I don't care for. Steam is new business. Turn on computer. Click steam. Select game. Purchase. It's downloading and installing, ready to go, no extra time spent, no keys to worry with, no paper trails. That's good business. It's one less pile of plastic, cardboard and paper that I have to watch burn. I'm no environmentalist, but geez, that's a start folks.

Very best,
December 13, 2008 11:49:51 PM

malveaux said:
Wrong? Since when is an opinion `effing wrong? You define internet forum douche, my friend. My opinion that Steam is superb stands. I can go online, without leaving my house one weekend day, click "purchase game" and it's downloading, prepatched, ready to game. And I can do it over and over. I didn't have to drive into town. I didn't have to wait in line. I have an internet connection capable of shopping this way, quickly, so why would I not enjoy this kind of service? Steam is solid.

It's not about the money. You, sir, just pulled that out of your own whim. It's what you wanted to insist. I never once mentioned it, nor implied, and continue to assure you, money has nothing to do with my freaking opinion here. All that was said, was that Steam was superb. End of sentence. Where's the "makes more money than..." commentary that you're running with here out of my comment?

Then you go on against other people's opinions and posts and do the same thing. Yet you claim others are twisting your words. How about you stop and read a little and not just assume, "OMG I MUST POST AGAINST THAT OPINION!!! IT'S WRONG!!!!!"

Steam is superb. It's awesome. It's gravy. If you want to take what I say without addressing my context or perhaps asking what I meant, before just assuming your wild fantasies in text, that's your problem and mistake.

@Others who commented on my context, my context is simply that I have to go buy a box with a disc for the new MMO or whatever Blizzard releases, along with having to deal with paper trails, garbage, etc. I then have to install, enter a serial code, file that junk away. And then start patching and updating before I can even get down to business (in regards to the MMO, at least). This is old business. Business I don't care for. Steam is new business. Turn on computer. Click steam. Select game. Purchase. It's downloading and installing, ready to go, no extra time spent, no keys to worry with, no paper trails. That's good business. It's one less pile of plastic, cardboard and paper that I have to watch burn. I'm no environmentalist, but geez, that's a start folks.

Very best,


Come on, man, I put a little smiley face emoticon immediately after I said "wrong," simply implying that I disagree, rather than thinking you're stupid for expressing your opinion. Not only that, at the very end of my short reply I AGAIN included that it was merely my opinion that I was expressing. I don't know how I could have made it plainer, man. (or woman.)

You, like antiacid, did not read MY posts - I have stated numerous times that I think Valve is a great company in this thread alone, and just recently I have begun to really like Steam. It is very convenient, and I love being able to pull it up and then just select the game I wish to play. At least you realize I like Blizzard a little more, unlike antiacid. Steam is very solid, I agree.

You're right in that it's not all about the money, however when someone uses the term, "business practice," that is generally what is meant. A company has to make money first, then serve the customers second. The more money a company makes, the better they are able to serve customers. We would all be 100% happy with a company if they gave their stuff out for free, but they obviously couldn't stay in business. All that being said, however, pr2thej mentioned that you could be talking about how the companies treat their customers rather than the money they make. I understand that the two go very hand in hand, but I acknowledged that that very well could have been what you were referring to in my response to him/her. I didn't stop to think that most of the people posting on here don't look at the business end of things as much as I do, so I accepted that.

I never twisted your words, just interpreted them to mean what "business practices" generally mean. When I realized that you could have meant something entirely different, I acknowledged it, but I think you probably overlooked the post where I did that because you got heated at what I said. Which would be understandable, had I blatantly told you your opinion was wrong with no hint at joking. The problem here, I think, is that it's much harder to convey little subtleties in text with emoticons than it would be if I were just having a conversation with you in person. I'm not one to cut people's opinions down if they make any sort of sense, like yours most certainly did, it's just obvious you didn't take it like I meant it. Oh well, hopefully it's water under the bridge.

I have no wild fantasies in what I've written. In fact, I've been perfectly straight-forward with everything I've said. My comment about twisting words or whatever it was i said to antiacid was because he/she is still somehow seems to be convinced that I'm bashing on Blizzard, when I love them. Then he/she thinks I'm bashing Valve for something else, or this or that, when the only thing I've ever even said on this thread that could be misinterpreted was the whole "Wrong! [smiley face]" thing. And yeah, when I saw that your opinion differed from mine, I thought I'd post on it just to generate discussion. It's not "effing wrong." This whole thread's purpose is for us to express our opinions.

Anyway, I'd love to hear your response, but don't take what I said as some attack on you, because it wasn't meant as that. I'm not here to try to irritate/alienate/anger people, with maybe the new exception of antiacid because of everything he/she's written in response to what I've said. I'm simply here because I enjoy having discussions about PC gaming, something we all most certainly share in common. And if I didn't want to hear other people's opinions, I'd go elsewhere.
December 14, 2008 3:26:23 AM

Quote:
*slaps the llama*

Not playing Hl2 is heresy.

In saying that i ain't bought a blizzard game before myself.

Still, no dod, cs or anything, god damn.


This much is true. And playing HL2 without playign HL is like a deadly sin, the 8th to be exact.

I have played games from both. I have pretty much every VALVe game ever made except DOD:S. Haven't bought it yet. I have played all the Blizzard games, Starcraft, Warcraft, WoW And so on.

I would have to say without a doubt that VALVe has to be the best PC gaming company I have ever seen. They are so dedicated to their games that they released a patch about a month ago for Half Life. Yes the original. Kinda crazy really. In TF2 they are doing class packs and all together with the new play modes and maps its almost a expansion pack. And its for FREE. L4D is just amazing. Its going to be like TF2 as well. They will have free content updates for it as well.

WoW is ok. I could never get into it. Personally I am woundering where WoW 2 is. Plus having to pay to play is just wrong.

Source is amazing. Best game engine ever. VALVe just updated it to support multi core CPUs. Its awesome.

So for me, its VALVe. Blizzard is great but VALVe is the PC gaming king.
December 14, 2008 8:40:50 AM

Heya,

"You're not reading my posts!"

The saga continues. Laughable.

Very best, :kaola: 
December 14, 2008 10:34:09 PM

ok so the dude spends half hours writing novels about interpretations of his previous posts and then claim that he didn't mean what he wrote. Of course, if he gets quoted multiple times, he'll invoke the "you didn't read my posts, dude!" argument and pretend like he's right. All in all, he's an average troll.
December 15, 2008 12:15:45 AM

I mean everything I write - it just requires novels to try to get you to understand what it is I mean, since you're not willing to accept it may not be what you first think.
December 16, 2008 10:45:01 AM

I'm huge fan of Diablo, but I just can't stand WOW. I know a lot of you will hate me for this, but I work on a tech support for a big unnamed computer company, and it is really annoying when some calls in and says that has low FPS in WOW and has no problem with the system what so ever.

But I would say Valve. Much more great games.
December 17, 2008 8:39:19 PM

You cannot really compare them one is FPS and One Is Strategy and MMRPG So if you like Fps then its valve if you like strategy then Blizzard
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
February 26, 2010 8:38:06 PM

well tbh Valve has like only made FPS while blizzard goes for the mmorg rpg prgs etc, well i´ve played WoW for over 3 years, i´ve also played Counterstrike for a long long time, i even play half life atm.Left 4 dead Team fortress Counterstrike Half life will allways be my fav games of all time.
Blizzard has World of warcraft warcraft diablo starcraft and the list goes on.
Blizzard has so crappy grapichs on ever game they release the grapichs are outdated etc.
On the other hand Valve allways has the ´fresh´grapich while i still can play it on my shitty computer,
For me Blizzard is an overated company that makes OK games but nowhere near Valves productions.
Valve has the biggest FPS´s out there and Blizzard has the best mmorg rpg.
for me Valve is way better , they even have steam that is really good, its free u dont need to pay per month for a game that u use to pass your time , while u can go and shoot the *** out of things on valves games, and Portal omg i can spend hours and even weeks playing it without getting boored, the ones that say blizzard is better ussualy just say that cuz of WoW, i know WOW is good cuz i´ve played it myself but srsly it gets booooring fast.
So i voted for Valve
Happy gaming all!
February 26, 2010 8:49:47 PM

Both suck too bad poll is closed.
February 27, 2010 12:10:16 AM

wow this is a really hard one...... I play valve games while waiting for the next diablo to come out!
February 27, 2010 12:14:40 AM

i play tf2, counter strike, half life 1&2, beat portal, all great games! and i cant wait till diablo 3 comes out so im not sure! however i hate wow so minus one point for blizzard for making people mindless wow zombies stuck in game world! Actually my friend and i were out at this arcade for my wife's birthday and some chick asked him what is name was, he actually told her his screen name! that is insane!!! i laughed for hours.
February 27, 2010 12:58:42 AM

hahaha!
well, in spite of strategy games are completely different from action games, I'll be a blizzard's fan 4 ever--- the first computer game I played was starcraft! and the second one was diablo. Damn good games, isn't it?

And, if I had continuous Internet connection, surely I would be a WOW zombie...

Of course, this is just my opinion!
February 27, 2010 1:03:44 AM

lol yea i love diablo, not so much starcraft but deffiantly diablo! and will always love valve's games so i am tied
February 28, 2010 10:08:21 AM

JDV28 said:
Both suck too bad poll is closed.

As is this thread.
!