Firewall Enabled

Since installing SP2 whenever I connect to my ISP the Security Center
suggests turning on the firewall. I can enable it without a problem, but
the next time I connect it has defaulted to disabled. Can I get firewall
enabled permanently or is this not advised?

Thanks,
Tom Ryan

In Control Panel, go to the Windows Firewall icon and set it there..

--
"Be still indebted to somebody or other, that there may be somebody always
to pray for you."

François Rabelais

"Tom Ryan" <tomr40@sufbest.net> wrote in message
> Since installing SP2 whenever I connect to my ISP the Security Center
> suggests turning on the firewall. I can enable it without a problem, but
> the next time I connect it has defaulted to disabled. Can I get firewall
> enabled permanently or is this not advised?
>
> Thanks,
> Tom Ryan

I tried that, Mike. It didn't work. When I reboot and connect to the ISP
the firewall has been turned off
"Mike Hall" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> In Control Panel, go to the Windows Firewall icon and set it there..
>
> --
> "Be still indebted to somebody or other, that there may be somebody always
> to pray for you."
>
> François Rabelais
>
> "Tom Ryan" <tomr40@sufbest.net> wrote in message
>> Since installing SP2 whenever I connect to my ISP the Security Center
>> suggests turning on the firewall. I can enable it without a problem, but
>> the next time I connect it has defaulted to disabled. Can I get firewall
>> enabled permanently or is this not advised?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Tom Ryan

Do you have a third party firewall running?

Mike

--

>I tried that, Mike. It didn't work. When I reboot and connect to the ISP
>the firewall has been turned off
> "Mike Hall" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>> In Control Panel, go to the Windows Firewall icon and set it there..
>>
>> --
>> "Be still indebted to somebody or other, that there may be somebody
>> always to pray for you."
>>
>> François Rabelais
>>
>> "Tom Ryan" <tomr40@sufbest.net> wrote in message
>>> Since installing SP2 whenever I connect to my ISP the Security Center
>>> suggests turning on the firewall. I can enable it without a problem,
>>> but the next time I connect it has defaulted to disabled. Can I get
>>> firewall enabled permanently or is this not advised?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Tom Ryan

Tom

As long as you have Norton firewall updated and running, SP2 firewall will
be disabled.. you do not need to run two firewalls anyway..

Mike Hall

--

> Do you have a third party firewall running?
>
> Mike
>
> --
> "Be still indebted to somebody or other, that there may be somebody always
> to pray for you."
>
> François Rabelais
>
> "Tom Ryan" <tomr40@sufbest.net> wrote in message
>>I tried that, Mike. It didn't work. When I reboot and connect to the ISP
>>the firewall has been turned off
>> "Mike Hall" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>>> In Control Panel, go to the Windows Firewall icon and set it there..
>>>
>>> --
>>> "Be still indebted to somebody or other, that there may be somebody
>>> always to pray for you."
>>>
>>> François Rabelais
>>>
>>> "Tom Ryan" <tomr40@sufbest.net> wrote in message

Mike is correct, and what he writes is equally true of any software firewall
that is compatible with SP 2. As an example, I had Zone Alarm Pro installed
at the time I upgraded to SP 2. Windows Security Center recognized this and
Windows Firewall was automatically turned off.
--
Ted Zieglar

> Tom
>
> As long as you have Norton firewall updated and running, SP2 firewall will
> be disabled.. you do not need to run two firewalls anyway..
>
> Mike Hall
>
> --
> "Be still indebted to somebody or other, that there may be somebody always
> to pray for you."
>
> François Rabelais
>
> "Mike Hall" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> > Do you have a third party firewall running?
> >
> > Mike
> >
> > --
> > "Be still indebted to somebody or other, that there may be somebody
always
> > to pray for you."
> >
> > François Rabelais
> >
> > "Tom Ryan" <tomr40@sufbest.net> wrote in message
> >>I tried that, Mike. It didn't work. When I reboot and connect to the
ISP
> >>the firewall has been turned off
> >> "Mike Hall" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message

As does McAfee firewall..