lost icon

January 5, 2005 9:09:02 PM

My powerpoint icon is only listed on my desktop fo one of the 3 users on my
computer. The other 2 users do not have it on their desktop, nor is it
visible Under the Microsoft Office listing on the programs/ start menu. How
do I get a Powerpoint icon to appear on more than one use?

More about : lost icon

Anonymous
January 6, 2005 11:47:31 AM

On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 18:09:02 -0800, tslough wrote:

> My powerpoint icon is only listed on my desktop fo one of the 3 users on my
> computer. The other 2 users do not have it on their desktop, nor is it
> visible Under the Microsoft Office listing on the programs/ start menu. How
> do I get a Powerpoint icon to appear on more than one use?

Copy the PowerPoint shortcut to their start menu folders. If this
application is to be available to all users, copy it to the All Users start
menu folder.

Start Menu folders are available for each user under Documents and
Settings. When a user logs on, Windows combines the start menu shortcuts
from All Users and from the indivdual's folders to create the start menu.
Shortcuts in the All Users folders will appear in everyone's start menus.
--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Thanks for your help, but I don't really know how to copy the icon to
different users start menu folders....I tried to select the icon on one user
and copy it,switch to another user, but was unable to activate the paste
command. Where is the All Users Start menu folder? How do I copy something
to it? I do appreciate the explanation....I just don't know how to execute
what you have suggested.

"Sharon F" wrote:

> On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 18:09:02 -0800, tslough wrote:
>
> > My powerpoint icon is only listed on my desktop fo one of the 3 users on my
> > computer. The other 2 users do not have it on their desktop, nor is it
> > visible Under the Microsoft Office listing on the programs/ start menu. How
> > do I get a Powerpoint icon to appear on more than one use?
>
> Copy the PowerPoint shortcut to their start menu folders. If this
> application is to be available to all users, copy it to the All Users start
> menu folder.
>
> Start Menu folders are available for each user under Documents and
> Settings. When a user logs on, Windows combines the start menu shortcuts
> from All Users and from the indivdual's folders to create the start menu.
> Shortcuts in the All Users folders will appear in everyone's start menus.
> --
> Sharon F
> MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Anonymous
January 6, 2005 10:36:31 PM

On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 12:51:02 -0800, tslough wrote:

> Thanks for your help, but I don't really know how to copy the icon to
> different users start menu folders....I tried to select the icon on one user
> and copy it,switch to another user, but was unable to activate the paste
> command. Where is the All Users Start menu folder? How do I copy something
> to it? I do appreciate the explanation....I just don't know how to execute
> what you have suggested.

Right click the start button and select Explore.
Right click it again and select Explore All Users.

You'll now have to explorer windows open : One showing the start menu
folders for all users. The other showing the start menu folders for the
user that is currently logged on.

If you were successful doing a copy of the shortcut, it should have been
available for pasting. Since you say that paste was not a choice you could
select it wasn't, check this setting: Right click the start button and
select Properties. Click the Customize button. On the Advanced page, place
a check next to "Enable dragging and dropping." Click OK and then try
copy/paste with the shortcut again.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User