Windows Update

Hi everyone

I have XP Pro and have configured Windows Update to let me know when updates
are available so I can decide when to install them. It tells me regularly
that SP2 is available but it hasn't told me of any updates for about a
month. Out of interest, I checked the updates "manually" (Start>All
Programs>Windows Update) and was astonished to see that there were about 10
updates recommended - including SP2.

The question I have is why didn't the automatic update mechanism let me know
about all of these updates? I understand that they come out regularly and
can't believe that 10 or so came out simultaneously between the previous
automatic warning and my "manual" search.

Thanks for your time.
7 answers Last reply
More about windows update

    Tosca wrote:
    > Hi everyone
    >
    > I have XP Pro and have configured Windows Update to let me know when
    updates
    > are available so I can decide when to install them. It tells me
    regularly
    > that SP2 is available but it hasn't told me of any updates for about
    > month. Out of interest, I checked the updates "manually" (Start>All
    > Programs>Windows Update) and was astonished to see that there were
    about 10
    > updates recommended - including SP2.
    >
    > The question I have is why didn't the automatic update mechanism let
    me know
    > about all of these updates? I understand that they come out
    regularly and
    > can't believe that 10 or so came out simultaneously between the
    previous
    > automatic warning and my "manual" search.
    >
    > Thanks for your time.

    I just experienced the same thing today - although I am not sure if I
    had the updater set to let me know, or if I might have had it disabled
    - possibly because I ran "xp-antispy" a long time ago.

    I thought I had manually run WU at least once in the last few months,
    but I clicked on one of the links to tell me more detail about one of
    the ~10 updates, and it was dated October.

    So I'm thinking either
    a) Microsoft screwed up somehow and just fixed it recently
    b) I had something bad (worm, spyware, etc.) which had been stopping me
    from getting these real updates
    c) I just GOT something bad and it's doing a great job of spoofing the
    MS website (but I'm using Firefox, which can't be spoofed as easily as
    IE :) and making my XP think it's getting real updates when in reality
    I'm currently downloading a whole bunch of trouble! (the paranoid
    theory :)

    A couple other variables that could throw off my analysis is that it
    also asked me to update the WU software (again) at the beginning of the
    update steps, and also I was running it from my wife's username since
    she was logged in, and I usually run it from mine (we're both admins).
    ALSO, I only recently started running things like Spybot S&D again,
    and also Spyware Blaster for the first time.

    So another possibility is that even though I have McAfee installed, I
    may have had (b) above and the recent running of some anti spyware
    stuff cleared it.

    Or I may be wrong about remembering having manually selected "update"
    since October, and the recent running of these spyware tools did the
    opposite of xp-antispy and turned on my automatic notification.

    I'm going to reboot now that it's done, and try to look more carefully
    at what other updates are left (I didn't see anything about SP2 this
    time because it's now running most of WU as a program instead of in the
    browser - is that true for others too?)
    David

    --
    (Posting from no longer existent e-mail address)

    PA Bear,
    Thanks for the reply, but as you probably know, I held off on
    installing SP2 for awhile because it got a lot of bad publicity. I
    think the main issue was that it was incompatible with several common
    apps. I admit I didn't do hours of research on it, but I don't have
    time for that - just going by what I heard. Also, even my company
    warned us all that they were disabling the automatic installation of
    it, and please don't download it ourselves (at work).

    I'm not running a security centre or firewall yet. I realize this is
    bad. I was thinking of ZoneAlarm soon, or maybe the one that comes
    prepackaged with Windows that I never turned on.

    Can you give me the deVry version of what are the remaining issues with
    SP2, and reasons why I maybe should wait a bit longer? Can I expect
    any common apps to break? I think I heard that SP2 enables the windows
    firewall by default, so that's probably good - anything else basic I
    need to know that might not be obvious from skimming those links?
    Thanks,
    David C

    Do you have Norton Internet Security or McAfee Security Center installed and
    is configured as the default Security Center? Any difference if NIS or MSC
    is disabled?

    I would install SP2 and see how Automatic Updates behaves then. (Disable
    your anti-virus app and close all other running programs prior to installing
    SP2, please.)

    Installing WinXP SP2
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;ln;xpsp2getinstall

    Are You Ready for WinXP SP2?
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/preinstall.mspx

    What to Know Before Downloading/Installing SP2
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/sp2_whattoknow.mspx

    Installing SP2 Step-by-Step
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[ln];xpsp2insthowto
    --
    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE)

    Tosca wrote:
    > Hi everyone
    >
    > I have XP Pro and have configured Windows Update to let me know when
    > updates are available so I can decide when to install them. It tells me
    > regularly that SP2 is available but it hasn't told me of any updates for
    > about a month. Out of interest, I checked the updates "manually"
    > (Start>All Programs>Windows Update) and was astonished to see that there
    > were about 10 updates recommended - including SP2.
    >
    > The question I have is why didn't the automatic update mechanism let me
    > know about all of these updates? I understand that they come out
    > regularly and can't believe that 10 or so came out simultaneously between
    > the previous automatic warning and my "manual" search.
    >
    > Thanks for your time.

    Skimming won't do it, you gotta read. The vast majority of WinXP users
    haven't had one bit of problem with SP2, David. Make certain you enable
    Automatic Updates in SP2 (as well as a/the firewall).

    Installing WinXP SP2
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;ln;xpsp2getinstall

    Are You Ready for WinXP SP2?
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/preinstall.mspx

    **What to Know Before Downloading/Installing SP2**
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/sp2_whattoknow.mspx

    Installing SP2 Step-by-Step
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[ln];xpsp2insthowto

    Troubleshooting Your Installation
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[ln];xpsp2insttshoot

    WinXP SP2 FAQ: What to do after installing SP2
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;ln;xpsp2installed

    Service Pack (any) Installation Checklist (MVP Jupiter Jones)

    WinXP SP2-specific Page (MVP Jupiter Jones)
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/xpsp2.htm

    Please always include previous message in your replies. I haven't the
    foggiest idea which post of mine you're replying to.

    Oh, and TURN ON THE FIREWALL NOW!

    Protect Your PC
    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE)

    David C wrote:
    > PA Bear,
    > Thanks for the reply, but as you probably know, I held off on
    > installing SP2 for awhile because it got a lot of bad publicity. I
    > think the main issue was that it was incompatible with several common
    > apps. I admit I didn't do hours of research on it, but I don't have
    > time for that - just going by what I heard. Also, even my company
    > warned us all that they were disabling the automatic installation of
    > it, and please don't download it ourselves (at work).
    >
    > I'm not running a security centre or firewall yet. I realize this is
    > bad. I was thinking of ZoneAlarm soon, or maybe the one that comes
    > prepackaged with Windows that I never turned on.
    >
    > Can you give me the deVry version of what are the remaining issues with
    > SP2, and reasons why I maybe should wait a bit longer? Can I expect
    > any common apps to break? I think I heard that SP2 enables the windows
    > firewall by default, so that's probably good - anything else basic I
    > need to know that might not be obvious from skimming those links?
    > Thanks,
    > David C

    Thanks FS.

    I will take the time (sometime soon) to read the links that PA Bear
    suggested, but I would also like PA to address your last comment:
    ## SP2 seems geared to newbies and the issues they have with security.
    For
    some of us it was a real pain....

    PA Bear: I'm using Google Groups Beta so I don't have much control over
    the way I post/reply, and a straight cut-paste wouldn't look good here.
    This is thread "Windows Update" on microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers
    - very recent posts - not that hard to find. Those links you gave me
    explained how to install SP2 and what to do before/after, but didn't
    explain WHY. Is it true that I don't really need it if I'm taking all
    the other security measures that FS suggested on this thread?

    FS - you say that the firewall that comes with XP is garbage - do you
    know if the new one in SP2 (which is different) is better? Maybe even
    better than ZoneAlarm?

    FS - What's BHOD?

    Either way, no matter what anybody says, I'm not using IE, and I'm
    converting all my newbie Family and Friends to Firefox. Sorry MS, but
    it's too well known that most spyware and vulnerabilities come through
    IE (and Outlook, although that may have changed), and you can't release
    the patches overnight. Plus IE deviates from the HTML spec,
    encouraging web designers to make nonstandard code that will only work
    with IE, which is predatory, if not simply flawed.

    XP itself, on the other hand, has been so stable, solid, and easy for
    the most part, that it stopped me from giving up on Windows and
    starting fresh with Linux.

    David C

    ~ FreeSpirit ~ wrote:
    > ## SP2 seems geared to newbies and the issues they have with security.

    Horse hockey!

    > For some of us it was a real pain....

    IC.
    --
    ~PA Bear

    David C wrote:
    <snippage>
    > PA Bear: I'm using Google Groups Beta so I don't have much control over
    > the way I post/reply, and a straight cut-paste wouldn't look good here.

    Access these and other MS newsgroups using an NNTP newreader instead:

    Configuring OE to access MS Newsserver/Newsgroups
    http://www.insideoe.com/resources/communities.htm#setupmsnews

    > This is thread "Windows Update" on microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers
    > - very recent posts - not that hard to find. Those links you gave me
    > explained how to install SP2 and what to do before/after, but didn't
    > explain WHY.

    1. Top 10 Reasons to Install Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2)
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/topten.mspx

    Also see:

    WinXP SP2 Features at a Glance
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/features.mspx

    > Is it true that I don't really need it if I'm taking all
    > the other security measures that FS suggested on this thread?

    No, it is not. To keep your system as secure as possible, enable Automatic
    Updates and install all critical updates as soon as they're released:

    Protect Your PC
    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE)

Windows Update Microsoft Windows XP