How does temp monitoring work?

virtualsniper

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2003
OK, I got my new computer. An Xp2700+ on an A7n8x with a volcano 9 fan. I didn't install the cpu, I bought the computer already build. What I can see is that the temperature sensor of the volcano 9 is not plugged, so it is working in manual mode. What I want to know is if there is a sensor anywhere else on a xp2700 cpu? Because if I go in the bios, I can see the cpu temperature as 55C and the motherboard as 37C.

How does it mesure the temperature? I don't see any probe.

And how come I have download the asus probe program for winxp, and it show a 32C cpu temperature and a 45C motherboard temperature?

LumberJack

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2003
You motherboard has build in temp sensors under the cpu that it uses to read the temprature of the board and cpu. Typically you need to download software to pull these values off the board. You can usually get othe nice stuff like various voltages and fan speeds. These values often differ slightly from the bios readings for various reasons but either way it should still give you a ball park of the temps on your system. If you want real accuracy you will have to buy some extra monitoring equipment.

Hope that answers your question.

To err is human... to really screw things up you need a computer!